AFL - Round 1 - Other Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting hearing the players screaming out on the field, but the terrible & commentating is absolutely magnified. I'd usually be watching with the first game of the season with a whole bunch of mates and not listening, but last night it was insane. Talking about Brownlows and just repeating the most cliched truisms in footy.

To be fair, they must feel the need to talk as the dead air and swearing players is pretty weird to listen to. It just highlights how little the 7 team understand about tactics or being able to call the game on its merits.

I reckon at least a dozen times Hamish Mc******* mentioned there was no crowd, 'heard the post get hit then wow'
'can hear the players' etc

He's like that ******* who at a party when he starts talking kills the conversation with everyone

Not going to lie, much prefer how Collingwood just sung their song to how it's usually done.
Was a rousing rendition, a bit too similar to how they sing in league/rugby after a win though.
I got the feeling the commentary team was a bit put out by it. They sounded dead awkward. Still, becoming slightly aware of the dribble they spew is nothing less than they deserve.
They need Bec Goddard in to show them how to get to the point. I love how dry and blunt she is on the AFLW at times. In one game this year:
'Was that htb, was there prior?'
Bec: 'Yep'
'Well, can she make the distance with the free kick?'
Bec: 'Nup.'

I reckon at least a dozen times Hamish Mc******* mentioned there was no crowd, 'heard the post get hit then wow'
'can hear the players' etc

He's like that ******* who at a party when he starts talking kills the conversation with everyone
The fact that he brought up Noel the camera man, who fetched the ball after a goal, not once, but twice, speaks volumes for mine.

I think cricket commentary tends to fill in the dead air a lot better than AFL commentary, seems like they absolutely no idea when they cannot bounce off the atmosphere created by a crowd.

God I love Jacob Townsend, 3 goals in his first half for the Bombers. A player I always wish we targeted a few years back.

Vanders reminds me a bit of him, plays footy how you should, always seemingly injured sadly.

God I love Jacob Townsend, 3 goals in his first half for the Bombers. A player I always wish we targeted a few years back.

Vanders reminds me a bit of him, plays footy how you should, always seemingly injured sadly.
100% should have targeted Townsend. Ridiculous we didn't really. Cheap, exactly what we needed. One that might bite us tbh. We must have known we were going to get Kozzy and that Bedford was going to kick on..

I was a bit 50/50 on this game was going to pick Sydney but went with the odds and the home team factor, not that it's too much of a factor with lack of crowd. Adelaide starting to look worse and worse, quite the fall from 2017.

Derm has to be one of the biggest flogs of all time. That shirt/blouse with the top two buttons undone 😂 Dress like he's still 21. I find it hilarious. He's had midlife crisis for the past 25 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for old man yells at cloud rant....why on Earth do players still come off the ground after a goal, especially when a player plays full forward? Talk about a copy cat league. One club did it ages ago and now everyone does it despite there being no actual science behind, at least as far as I'm aware for AFL.

From memory didn't Mathouse or someone borrow it from ice hockey?

I'll always be a believer in that you keep your "hot" forwards on the ground when they have a sniff, why on Earth would you want to potentially break up their rhythm?

I get the feeling Geelong is one team that wouldn't mind the season being called off, have looked woeful all preseason and now round 1 getting run-over in the second half.

A stench of Melbourne last year about them.

I'll always be a believer in that you keep your "hot" forwards on the ground when they have a sniff, why on Earth would you want to potentially break up their rhythm?
Agreed. The adrenaline/rush you'd get after a goal would be wasted on the bench; unless they've done a Woewodin/Farmer and run the length of the ground.

GC looking as bad as ever. Can't get past halfway.
Port have taken the skis off, could be 5 goals further up if they were more clinical/really wanted to put the foot down.

Can't see the AFL giving them another priority pick, unless we finish second last again of course. :(

Shame, was a bit of hope around after their preseason , and with the nrl season potentially gone before AFLs is, would have been a great time to try and drum up some local viewer interest.

Can't see the AFL giving them another priority pick, unless we finish second last again of course. :(

Shame, was a bit of hope around after their preseason , and with the nrl season potentially gone before AFLs is, would have been a great time to try and drum up some local viewer interest.
Yep. I thought they recruited pretty well and looked sharp in preseason but it's all gone to crap in the space of one game. Port are hardly what I'd call a good defensive side so not getting 5 goals past them is a worrying sign.
Maybe just an off night, but they need to show something soon or there needs to be a decent think about pulling up stumps.

Without the crowd , home ground advantage not as big as before , from point of view of players having to lift themselves.
The crowd probably the difference between a win and a loss today for Adelaide in the end. As for the lack of crowds I'm starting to get use to it. The shorten quarters feels a little weird though but I don't mind can actually be a good thing because teams know they have less time so they start playing more attacking when they get too far behind.

Watching the end of the dons and dockers and the young Brayshaw might be a worse kick than his brother
He 100% is. As much as Gus can frustrate with his lazy kicking, he a) can be a very good kick at time when he's not just bombing it, and b) is actually a pretty reliable shot for goal. I'd back Gus in to kick that one. Andrew is generally pretty ordinary with ball in hand from what I've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back