AFL Round 10: Collingwood v Western Bulldogs Friday 7:50pm AEST @ES

Coll-vs-Bulldogs.png

upload_2018-5-25_12-7-7.png

upload_2018-5-25_12-7-33.png

SUMMARY
If either team is to figure in this year’s finals series, this is simply a must-win encounter against a similarly placed opponent. The Magpies, who are a game clear of the Bulldogs, deserve their favouritism given they have been far more consistent and boast greater depth of quality and experience. The Pies, who have won five of their past seven games, also appear to have at their disposal more potential match-winners, including emerging star Jordan de Goey, who in his past three outings has kicked bags of six and five goals. A Collingwood win would break a five-game hoodoo against the Bulldogs. The Dogs, meanwhile, will be sore after their comprehensive loss to Adelaide in a highly-contested, bruising encounter in heavy conditions at Adelaide Oval. The Dogs will hope they can provide more support for star midfielder Jack Macrae, who over the past three weeks has averaged 40 possessions (23 contested) and 11 clearances.

WHERE AND WHEN: Etihad Stadium, Friday May 25, 7.50pm

LAST FIVE TIMES
R1, 2017, Western Bulldogs 15.10 (100) d Collingwood 12.14 (86) at the MCG
R21, 2016, Western Bulldogs 14.11 (95) d Collingwood 14.8 (92) at Etihad Stadium
R10, 2016, Western Bulldogs 11.8 (74) d Collingwood 7.11 (53) at the MCG
R17, 2015, Western Bulldogs 15.14 (104) d Collingwood 13.8 (86) at Etihad Stadium
R13, 2014, Western Bulldogs 16.10 (106) d Collingwood 15.8 (98) at Etihad Stadium

THE SIX POINTS

1. The Bulldogs have dominated the Magpies recently, winning their past five games by an average of 13 points. Collingwood last defeated the Dogs in round 12, 2013.

2. In their most recent clash in round one last year, Collingwood had 39 more disposals, took more marks, doubled the Dogs in hit-outs, had one more scoring shot and 17 more inside 50s, but trailed at every change as the Dogs posted a 14-point win.

3. Collingwood has scored more heavily than the Bulldogs this year, averaging 87 points a game and tallying 100 points on five occasions. In contrast, the Bulldogs are averaging 72 points and have reached three figures just twice.

4. It will be a contest between the AFL’s two highest disposal teams – Collingwood is ranked first with 411.3 a game (the only side to average more than 400) and the Bulldogs are second with 391.8.

5. The Pies lead the competition in uncontested possessions and are fifth in contested possessions, while the Bulldogs are 12th and third respectively.

6. Third-year Magpie Tom Phillips continues to make rapid progress in the Schick AFL Player Ratings. After being ranked No.614 at the end of 2016, and No.318 at the end of last year, he has climbed to No.138.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …

Ed Richards. The Bulldogs’ No.16 pick last year will play his first game against Collingwood – the club he supported as a boy after multiple generations of his family (Richards and Pannam) represented the Magpies with distinction. The flame-haired left-footer, 18, has played the past eight games and has looked at home across half-back.

PREDICTION: Collingwood by 19 points

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/10/coll-v-wb

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Both clubs have a tough set of mids who love a scrap, albeit the Bulldogs effort hasn't been consistent this year. Grundy at the clearances should make the difference.
Pies by 5 goals.

robbos13

Debutant
Dec 1, 2011
adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it will be a close grind it out type game. feel Collingwood have been lucky to get a few of our wins lately and need to get back to what we were doing earlier in the season to get a convincing win.
Dogs wont be as bad as they were last week and could pip us.

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pies midfield to get Pies over the line in a clash of two high possession teams
Collingwood by 16 points.
Keen to see Boyd/Schache playing forward together.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The young Dogs have a crack, but Collingwood comfortably. A Collingwood loss probably ends any premiership hopes they may be harbouring.

Last edited:

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The young Dogs have a crack, but Collingwood comfortably. A loss to the Pies probably ends any premiership hopes they may be harbouring.
Premiership hopes were extinguished by round 2 this year. Development year . 8 wins and senior games for Richards Williams English Naughton etc will be an acceptable outcome.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Premiership hopes were extinguished by round 2 this year. Development year . 8 wins and senior games for Richards Williams English Naughton etc will be an acceptable outcome.

Ah, I phrased that badly. Was referring to Collingwood's hopes. Yeah, development year for the Dogs.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
To have any chance of winning we need to make Collingwood move it slowly, turn the ball over and hurt them on the rebound

We have done this a few times over the last few years in our wins making Collingwood overpossess the footy

Don't think we are mature enough to get it done this time around though, but can only hope

Hopefully Boyd and Schache show signs up forward, hopefully this also allows Gowers and Dickson to bob up as they won't have to play as tall as they have done previously

bontyhb

Rookie
May 21, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Keen to see Schache in action but I believe Collingwood will be too strong, at least 3 goals.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Played some crackers over the years these two. The doggies had a good win in the corresponding fixture 2 years ago by under a kick.
Same thing in 2009 where the Pies triumphed by a point after being up a good distance.
A drawn game maybe in 95
1992 At the MCG the Pies won by under a kick.
Around 2013/14 the dogs also got up unexpectedly in an upset.

Not close but an upset win in a 2006 Elimination Final.

Hoping tonight can replicate that just for that reason, it will be an upset. But I forecast the Pies winning. Potentially being 7-4 at the halfway mark of the season would be a great result for the pies leaving them full of confidence going into the bye.

Regardless of tonight's winner it's good for the game.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can a Pies fan tell me if Greenwood tagging Macrae is actually going to be a thing?

Feels like Bevo might expect that, playing Roughead, Boyd and Schache means Bontempelli likely plays most of the game in the midfield - if Greenwood tags Macrae someone else needs to look after Bont.

Although Grundy will monster whoever the dogs put in the ruck so maybe it won’t matter as the pies will get so much ball.

I’ve not got a great feeling about tonight, Pies are a better side than 5-4 imo. Let’s hope it’s a good contest.

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Can’t believe no one giving dogs a chance tonight. It’s at Etihad. Their fortress. Dogs are 4/6 at Etihad this year. Losing to eagles and Sydney.

I cant believe I'm am going to day this but the Bulldogs forward TALLS to kick 8 between them and get the Dogs over the line by 7 points.

Can’t believe no one giving dogs a chance tonight. It’s at Etihad. Their fortress. Dogs are 4/6 at Etihad this year. Losing to eagles and Sydney.
Agree, but we're 3/5 at Docklands with the win against Gold Coast in Ballarat. The Sydney game was very winnable though :(

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can a Pies fan tell me if Greenwood tagging Macrae is actually going to be a thing?

We have been trying to work out where he plays if it's not a tagging role. He's not a forward and I wouldn't want him playing down back.

My money is on him running with Macrae.

Edit: He can kick a goal but bringing both Daicos in AND Greenwood to play forward would be an interest choice.

Back