AFL Round 10: Collingwood v Western Bulldogs Friday 7:50pm AEST @ES

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh good - someone who wants to discuss football!

Actually I thought it was the other round - I thought Roughead and the Dogs were trying to get into Mason Cox to put him off his game.
There did seem to be some extra needle in the game though. Don't recall if there was anything that occurred last time we met them or if the Pies thought they were physically beaten previously.
Noticed they were trying to get into Cox, but also noticed the Pies giving it just as much. Sidey after his goal. Tay Adams was getting physical. Even during stoppages, Pies were rougher than usual. Assumed it was some sort of plan/directive due to a weakness of some sort of the Doggies.

Question - noticed the Pies were trying to be physical and create a reaction from the Doggies yesterday. Something Pies don’t normally do, what was the reason behind it? Doggies don’t like the extra attention? Give away silly frees?
A number of sides went after Johanissen by roughing him up early in games last year and he absolutely cacked them for the rest of the game. Then again it’s no great surprise that a bloke with that haircut isn’t a fan of physical contact.

But I agree - we seem to be playing with a bit of mongrel just at the minute - something we’ve lacked for too long. I don’t mind seeing the odd free kick paid against for it either as long as it doesn’t start to get ridiculous.

I did have to laugh when Trengove was getting stuck into one of our guys (think it might have been Sidebottom after he kicked a goal) and as soon as a bigger bloke in Cox came over Trengove was pretty quick to wander off

You think Buckley has been a roaring success at Collingwood?
What’s your definition of ‘roaring’ success? Because if everyone who has ever coached at the elite level was to win a flag, there’d be a s**t load more premierships.

Buckley is finally tracking well and looking like he has got the side playing attractive, competitive footy, why not just acknowledge that and wait to see instead of being pre-emptive? Malthouse wasn’t a ‘roaring’ success for 10 years at Collingwood - was he a success in hindsight? Yes.

You think Buckley has been a roaring success at Collingwood?
I think the guy can coach, success is measured by performance though.
Been a difficult rebuild at the Pies.
Liking the young players coming through now and we seem to be working on a gameplan - still needs tweaking.
Players seem to be playing for the coach though and some of our drafts/freeagency pickups were players who wanted to play under Buckley.

What’s your definition of ‘roaring’ success? Because if everyone who has ever coached at the elite level was to win a flag, there’d be a s**t load more premierships.

Buckley is finally tracking well and looking like he has got the side playing attractive, competitive footy, why not just acknowledge that and wait to see instead of being pre-emptive? Malthouse wasn’t a ‘roaring’ success for 10 years at Collingwood - was he a success in hindsight? Yes.

I think there is still too much of a "messiah" complex when it comes to coaches.

Apart from Hawthorn, most sides have boom and bust periods where they are rebuilding teams and blooding young players over a couple of years to get back into contention.
It has been difficult to build lists in the days of compromised drafts for GWS, free agency, compensation picks, rookie elevations etc.
You have to get your drafting right or you are in the s**t.
Look at the Saints - I thought they adopted the right approach flogging off players whilst they still had currency to rebuild their team post 2010 GF. Unfortunately they made bad choices with their fistful of early picks.
You could have Hafey, Barassi, Jeans etc as a coach of a bottom club but it is players who make coaches and you can only work with what you have.
People wanted to ditch Hardwick - now he's a genius. He can coach.

Unless a Clarkson became available - why would you change?
Other clubs on the coaching merry-go-round keep taking our assistant coaches or a least rate them.

The team coming through now is Buckley's team. I am liking what I am starting to see with this side. Give Buckley the support and be patient.

I thought the Pies were quite impressive after half time and the Bullies were ordinary. Not a real fan of the out wide game plan or spread. Rather see Collingwood play a more direct style but I am thinking that is not going to happen. Good to see the Big American taking some good grabs and opposition now obviously starting to rate him. Yep the pies can make the 8.

I thought the Pies were quite impressive after half time and the Bullies were ordinary. Not a real fan of the out wide game plan or spread. Rather see Collingwood play a more direct style but I am thinking that is not going to happen. Good to see the Big American taking some good grabs and opposition now obviously starting to rate him. Yep the pies can make the 8.
How do you think your Cats are tracking this year?

I would call Sydney successful despite a lack of premierships, because they have been consistently in the hunt, always finishing in the finals, play pretty consistently, play a game plan to their strengths, recruit well, develop well. The kind of stuff that warrants a contract extension or being the head coach for a significant period of time. You need a lot of luck to win a flag, but you obviously aren't in the running from well outside the top 8, which has been where Collingwood has been for the majority of the period during Buckley and he inherited a fairly young premiership team.

I would call Sydney successful despite a lack of premierships, because they have been consistently in the hunt, always finishing in the finals, play pretty consistently, play a game plan to their strengths, recruit well, develop well. The kind of stuff that warrants a contract extension or being the head coach for a significant period of time. You need a lot of luck to win a flag, but you obviously aren't in the running from well outside the top 8, which has been where Collingwood has been for the majority of the period during Buckley and he inherited a fairly young premiership team.
That’s your definition of success?

Sydney have won the same amount of flags as Collingwood in the last 10 years. If neither side wins a flag for the next 30 years, do you think people will remember Sydney as having been more successful?

Do you classify Collingwood of the 70s and early 80s as successful? Because they played in a lot of GFs. I sure don’t.

About the same as Collingwood. A loss against Carlton today would change that view. The Cats are not in Premiership contention this year IMHO
It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

You guys are ahead of us, comfortably. Come August, Cats should be fighting for a top 4 spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant get the failed Beta male hip and shoulder attempt from treloar out of my mind.

and Collingwood gave up TWO first rounders for this guy. the same guy who said he went to the pies over Richmond because they had a better list rhan Richmond moving fwd.

Lmao what the hell were Collingwood thinking!!!

Last edited:
I cant get the failed Beta male hip and shoulder attempt from treloar out of my mind.

and Collingwood gave up TWO first rounders for this guy. the same guy who said he went to the pies over Richmond because they had a better list rhan Richmond moving fwd.

And of course Treloar wouldn't be in your first 22 players:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tigers supporter on Pies GD thread talking about Treloar........

Nooooo, they aren’t still insecure!

Oh the irony of being labelled a troll for having an anti Pies opinion on BF. And by someone called .....The Filth!

The irony of a Richmond supporter seeking to rely on seasons past to justify a thinly veiled swipe at a club he has a clear distaste for, then when called out for it passing it off as some kind of 'irony'

Pretty sad. It’s been almost 3 years, they’ve won a flag in between, and some of their supporters still can’t seem to let it go.

Talk about a joke blowing up in your own face - the jokes on them.

Besides we traded pick #7 and a future 1st rounder for Treloar and pick#28.
We used pick#28 to pick up James Aish from Brisbane - and guess what? Aish was pick#7 in the 2013 draft.
Yes I know the jury is still out on Aish and he is injured at the moment but he was a top 10 draft pick.
The loss of the "future first round pick" didn't really impact on our recruiting the following year as we got Moore and Brown under F/S with our lower picks and Hoskin Elliot (a former #4 draft pick) from GWS with a future second round pick.

Effectively we got 2 first round selections (Treloar and Aish) for two first round pick anyway.

Last edited:
The irony of a Richmond supporter seeking to rely on seasons past to justify a thinly veiled swipe at a club he has a clear distaste for, then when called out for it passing it off as some kind of 'irony'
Especially when my moniker "The Filth" is an ironical reference to a term that was bandied around for Collingwood.

You need a lot of luck to win a flag, but you obviously aren't in the running from well outside the top 8, which has been where Collingwood has been for the majority of the period during Buckley and he inherited a fairly young premiership team.

Whenever the bolded gets trotted out, it just represents a complete understanding of where the list was at when Buckley took over, and how things went during his first couple of seasons as head coach.

Look at the 2011 GF side (which is just before Buckley took over the head role), and then where the list was at age and injury-wise after the 2013 EF. Literally half the side from the 2011 GF (11 players) had left the club by the end of the 2013 season, and a further three had left by the end of 2014. Many of those had major injuries during that 2-3 year period, and were either traded or (mostly) retired.

Buckley wasn't working with a list on the up. They'd hit their peak (mid-2010 to mid-2011), and were coming down the other side of the mountain. Yes, he still had some good younger players to work with, but the list was very different 2-3 years into his tenure, and did need to be rebuilt to stay competitive and push towards another flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back