Game Day AFL Round 12 - Matchday Discussion Melbourne@Collingwood (MCG - 3:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a couple of weeks ago, this matchup was considered a write-off, with most thinking that the Magpies would come away with an easy win. However, recent form from both teams has shown that this match will be a lot closer than initially expected.

Last time these two sides met was back in the 2018 Queen’s Birthday clash. In what was billed as a matchup between the two up and coming contenders, the Magpies controlled the game from the outset, and won the match by seven goals. Cox and Stephenson were best on for the Magpies, while Tom McDonald was brilliant in the Demons forward line.

Collingwood

The weeks of inconsistent football finally came back to bite the Magpies, as Collingwood disintegrated in the fourth quarter against the Dockers. Halfway through the last quarter, it looked as if the Magpies would grind out another unconvincing win, but Fremantle would go on to rally in the last 10 minutes, and a late Michael Walters goal sealed a brilliant win for the Dockers. Many feel as if this was the loss the Magpies needed to have after all that mediocre football, with this week’s match shaping to be critical. The injury cloud is also starting to gather over Collingwood, with Beams likely out until the finals, and Langdon’s season in doubt as well. The Magpies rallied through injuries last season, and if they want to push for a flag, they’ll need to push through injuries again.

The man to watch this week is Brayden Sier. Regarded by many as the forgotten man on the Collingwood list, Sier makes his much anticipated return against the Demons. The inside midfielder was one of the key players in the 2018 Collingwood side, but injuries have halted his 2019 season. While he was very good when on the ground, one major criticism of Sier is his gas tank, with the midfielder spending large portions of the game on the bench. It will be interesting to see if Sier has improved his tank over the offseason.

Melbourne

After much promise coming into 2019, Melbourne’s season has been a mighty disappointment to say the least. While many pointed Melbourne out as one of the top contenders, the Demons have never really gotten going, and are now arriving at last chance saloon if they want a finals spot. While Melbourne hasn’t gotten the wins on the board in the past few weeks, they have been competitive, and have shown that they can make the better teams worry, which creates a huge chance for the team this week.

Thankfully for the Demons, some of their key players in May and Lever are finally coming back from injury, and will boost the backline for the Demons. Many of Melbourne’s problems stem from the forward line. Melbourne rank highly in inside-50’s, but struggle to convert their chances, ranking last in inside-50 conversions. The defense is also a significant issue for the Demons, with the backline losing to most one on one contests in the league.

The man to watch this week is Nathan Jones. A dedicated veteran for the Demons, age has seemingly caught up for Jones, with the midfielder losing a step of pace in a faster game. However, Jones has always brought his A-game to Collingwood games, averaging 26 disposals against the Magpies. This creates an opportunity to get his season back on track, and help his side get their season on track.

Head to Head odds

Collingwood: $1.38
Melbourne: $2.88

Changes

Melbourne
IN

Marty Hore, Steven May, Jake Lever, Christian Salem, Braydon Preuss, Alex Neal-Bullen

OUT

Oscar McDonald (Omitted), Jay Kennedy Harris (Omitted)

Collingwood

IN

Brayden Sier, Mason Cox, Isaac Quaynor, Josh Daicos, Ben Crocker

OUT
Dayne Beams

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free
Live on Channel 7 National.

Radio

Triple M
3AW
ABC
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL
Kayo Sports

Tip

A couple of weeks ago, this would be an easy game to tip, but with the Demons starting to pick up form, and a huge question mark hanging over Collingwood, this will be a close game. Collingwood’s talent should be enough to get over the line.

Magpies by 15.

Wanna say just get the win and return to second but nah... I want the Pies to belt them. Go out into the bye on a massive high. Need some confidence after that appalling display against the Dockers. If the boys reckon they're fair dinkum, they'll go out and belt the Demons.

Last year we smashed them by 7 goals. We're a much better side now, they're a much worse side now. I will be livid if we go down.

On a positive note, really want Stepho to go out and clinch the Neale Daniher trophy. He or De Goey. Want to see a bag kicked by somebody.

Good inclusions. I hope Sier can go some way to addressing our deficiencies in the clearances, because it feels like we've been too often second to the ball especially in the centre clearances.

It will be exciting when Adams returns in a few weeks time as well. As harsh as this may sound, I don't think Beams has enhanced our team and I think Sier is a better fit for the midfield.

Cox for Reid was the natural like for like replacement. I see Reid as a depth player these days, but he's very handy when he's required. However, I have Cox and Mihocek ahead of him, but I hope Checkers starts to converting his opportunities sooner rather than later because the kicking yips have become a growing concern.

Melbourne's inclusions look pretty good and I think they've started to improve slowly over the past few weeks, but have fallen short in crucial stages particularly against the Eagles and Crows. We'll need to play our best football, or can they could potentially beat us tomorrow.

Hoping for a strong and consistent four-quarter effort from the boys after a disappointing performance last week.

No idea who he is, but if you know him personally, he could probably do with some aloe Vera. Fair sunglasses tan going on there too.

One of the most flawed geniuses of all time.. his stories put Wayne Carey's and the like to shame re.

The most talented midfielder England has ever produced. And in my opinion.. one of the world's greatest ever football players.

An absolute brut of a footballer with the skills of ballet dancer. The bloke is De Goey * 10.

Look up his highlights.. and his interviews. Some of the funniest stories you'll ever hear. He was a box of frogs.

The great.. Paul Gascoigne.

One of the most flawed geniuses of all time.. his stories put Wayne Carey's and the like to shame re.

The most talented midfielder England has ever produced. And in my opinion.. one of the world's greatest ever football players.

An absolute brut of a footballer with the skills of ballet dancer. The bloke is De Goey * 10.

Look up his highlights.. and his interviews. Some of the funniest stories you'll ever hear. He was a box of frogs.

The great.. Paul Gascoigne.
Great player, but yes, he had issues.

Last year's QB match was a fantastic game of free flowing football. I wouldn't be disappointed to see that occur again this year because I would love to see the flow from last year return to our game.

The last two times we've played Melbourne we've worked out how to beat their strong midfield's tactic of getting huge numbers to the ball. If Goodwin is tactically strong he won't let that happen again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Raining, will we play more to the conditions or keep up with the possession style game plan? Interesting coaching battle coming up me thinks.

Carn the Pies.

I will endeavour to get to the G on time.. just accepting a Queen's honors medal for services to Bigfooty.. making it more inclusive to all personality types.. folk with differing knowledge bases and s**t like that.. and folk who love the game for whatever reasons they like.. whether it be for fun.. serious s**t.. and everything in between.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their contribution to the legend that is the gimp.. this is your medal just as much as mine.

Sorry getting emotional here and that re.

You guys are f greats re.

Collectively.. we're the best going around in any genre of sport.

Yay will be able to attend today. Been a few weeks since I've made it to a game. Looking forward to it.
Then rushing home to make a flight to Sydney for work tomorrow. Oh well.

Go Pies!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yay will be able to attend today. Been a few weeks since I've made it to a game. Looking forward to it.
Then rushing home to make a flight to Sydney for work tomorrow. Oh well.

Go Pies!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
He's to hoping your plane gets grounded, so you have a legitimate excuse to stay one more day, and celebrate :beercheers:

Be sure to stop at the $2 shop to pick up some good quality tape if you're heading to the G re.. save yourself from getting evicted if an umpiring decision costs us the game. Just swear with your eyes before they bring in a 'no disgusted eyes' rule as well and s**t like that re.

20190610_102346.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back