Game Day AFL Round 13 - Matchday Discussion North Melbourne@Collingwood(Gabba- 7:10PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's round 13, and these two sides have two very different goals for the remainder 2020. Collingwood are looking to rack up the wins in hope for a finals berth. For the Kangaroos, they’re just looking to run out the clock on what has been a disappointing 2020 season.

The last time these two sides met was back in round 15 of 2019. Coming into the game, not many were expecting North to put up much of a fight. However, the Kangaroos stunned everyone, restricting the Magpies to their lowest score under Nathan Buckley. North played some textbook defense, and produced a genuine team effort.

Collingwood

It’s make or break for the Magpies this week. It’s as simple as that. If they lose this game, they might as well start making plans for the summer, as their tough upcoming schedule effectively means that they need to win every winnable game they come across. The Magpie’s last match was a nightmare from start to finish. Collingwood were never really in the game, and the Demons, a side who many thought were inferior to the Magpies, played the game on their terms, controlling the midfield battle to perfection. Melbourne was also on point with their defensive structure, and as a result, Collingwood were unable to rebound off of half-back. The once imposing backline was once again broken, mostly due to the relentless deep forward-50 entries by Melbourne. It’s a significant problem for Collingwood, as their midfielders also continue to drop like flies, with Sidebottom to head back to Victoria due to his partner giving birth.

The Magpies bring in some interesting inclusions this week, with Mason Cox making his return, Levi Greenwood returning from injury, and Flynn Appleby playing his first game in over a year. The Magpies lose crucial forward line structure, with Mihocek out with concussion.

Where the Magpies can win this game

The Magpies defense was a matchwinner for them back in 2019. However in 2020, it has been a burden for them. However, with a somewhat extended break, the Collingwood backline can recharge, and hopefully return to their dominant form, and help Collingwood get back on the winner’s list.

Player to watch

Flynn Appleby is the man to watch for Collingwood this week. Cast a thought back to July 20, 2019. In a critical match against GWS, Appleby was given the daunting task of playing on Jeremy Finlayson, and Finlayson absolutely blew Appleby out of the park. Finlayson kicked three first quarter goals, helping the Giants put the game beyond doubt. Appleby wouldn’t play again for the rest of the season. Luckily for him, Appleby has been thrown a lifeline as a reborn forward player, and by all accounts has torn it up in the practice matches. Could Appleby be the player that can reinvigorate a lackluster Collingwood forward line? We’ll have to wait and see.

North Melbourne

Finally, it seems like North have decided to adopt a bottoming out policy, opting for a “short term pain, long term gain” policy, after avoiding that for a better part of two decades. It’s been quite a problem for the Kangaroos, with the team never being among the worst in the competition, but also never truly competing for a premiership either. However, a change in coaching has meant that the Kangaroos are going through a much needed rebuild. 2020 has well and truly been a year of transition for North, with Shaw opting to blood some younger players, and not being afraid to throw down the axe against established players that are underperforming, Ben Brown being a notable example.

The Kangaroos are coming off a heartbreaking loss to premiership contender, Brisbane. North had their opportunities to come back, but just couldn’t get the job done. Goldstein and Anderson were the best on for North.

Where the Kangaroos can win

North had tremendous success against the Brisbane by reducing the game to a bit of scrap, opting to play a territory game, which has proven to be successful in 2020 for many teams. If Goldstein can beat Grundy, which many are predicting, the territory game will be hard to beat for North.

Player to watch

Todd Goldstein is the man to watch this week for North. Back in 2015, Goldstein was the undisputed best ruckman in the competition. However, as the seasons progressed after that, Goldstein started to decline. A number of injuries as well as some off-field issues really hampered him. That being said, 2020 has been the year of rejuvenation for Goldstein, with the ruckman hopping back into the discussion as the best ruckman in the competition. Goldstein will come up against an out of form, but very dangerous Grundy in what will be a major test for him.

Head to Head odds

Collingwood: $1.37
North Melbourne: $3.10

Changes

Collingwood

IN

Chris Mayne
Flynn Appleby
Jordan Roughead
Levi Greenwood
Mason Cox

OUT

Ben Reid (Injured)
Brody Mihocek (Injured)
Callum L. Brown (Omitted)
Lynden Dunn (Omitted)
Rupert Wills (Omitted)

North Melbourne

IN

Paul Ahern
Robbie Tarrant

OUT

Sam Durdin (Omitted)
Will Walker (Injured)

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

Triple M
3AW
ABC
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL

Kayo Sports

Tip

Normally, Collingwood would be an easy tip. But North have shown they can play with some teams that would expect to handily beat them. If Collingwood win, it’ll be an almighty struggle.

Magpies by 10.

Emperor Marcus Aurelius dealt with setbacks by imagining a worse outcome. For me, this is imagining that I barrack for North.

This Vagrant of a Club has relocated games to Canberra, Gold Coast, Sydney, Hobart...

North would relocate to Frankston but knows it would be rejected because it would lower property prices.

In ’96, they agreed to merge and become the North Fitzroy Kangaroos – which sounds like an ammo team of hipsters or room B in a kindy.

This club is an enigma wrapped in an identity crisis: Shinboners or investment spank listed club on the stock exchange?

I reminisce when we beat North by 117 points in the wet in 2011. Was behind the goals with my son, a gentle boy, who understood at 10 years that North’s 3 goals were 3 too many, that no mercy should be shown.

Would love to see us again murder North.

Am comforted that Pig Greenwood is back, the perfect guy to help you rip up a concrete slab or defend a home invasion.

We need huge games by our leaders – Pendles, Adams, Grundy, Darce…

Pride needs to be restored after last week.

Collingwood by 64 points

Dont know if i cant bring myself to watch this one...

Im afraid of what i might do to the TV if i watch us lose to fking Norf, and i haven't sussed out JB click and collect well enough to be confident i can get a replacement during lockdown.

Emperor Marcus Aurelius dealt with setbacks by imagining a worse outcome. For me, this is imagining that I barrack for North.

This Vagrant of a Club has relocated games to Canberra, Gold Coast, Sydney, Hobart...

North would relocate to Frankston but knows it would be rejected because it would lower property prices.

In ’96, they agreed to merge and become the North Fitzroy Kangaroos – which sounds like an ammo team of hipsters or room B in a kindy.

This club is an enigma wrapped in an identity crisis: Shinboners or investment spank listed club on the stock exchange?

I reminisce when we beat North by 117 points in the wet in 2011. Was behind the goals with my son, a gentle boy, who understood at 10 years that North’s 3 goals were 3 too many, that no mercy should be shown.

Would love to see us again murder North.

Am comforted that Pig Greenwood is back, the perfect guy to help you rip up a concrete slab or defend a home invasion.

We need huge games by our leaders – Pendles, Adams, Grundy, Darce…

Pride needs to be restored after last week.

Collingwood by 64 points

Marcus Aurelius is probably my favourite philosopher. He’s said “that which is not good for the beehive is not good for the bee”

To this end I’m thinking about the hive (the future list, 2021 season and beyond, player development) and not the bee (the short term desire to win, featuring in finals footy)

This won’t be popular; I am hoping we lose today so that it

a) leads to a cleanout of several underperforming senior players

b) hands us an early as possible 1st rd draft pick.

c) forces a re-evaluation of the possession first mentality to the game plan. This has killed the x factor to our ball movement and chaos we generated when inside 50.

I was positive after the loss to West Coast but the performances since then... coupled with the long term loss of key personnel in Cox (form), Howe, De Goey, Sidebottom and Stephenson (who is there only in body at the moment...)

Means we should put the cue in the rack and shift the focus to 2021.

Dont know if i cant bring myself to watch this one...

Im afraid of what i might do to the TV if i watch us lose to fking Norf, and i haven't sussed out JB click and collect well enough to be confident i can get a replacement during lockdown.

I can't tell you how many Aldi Plasma screens I've trashed.. half a gorilla a pop.. so I'm ok with that.. learnt my lesson after I trashed a 25k TV a while ago.

Marcus Aurelius is probably my favourite philosopher. He’s said “that which is not good for the beehive is not good for the bee”

To this end I’m thinking about the hive (the future list, 2021 season and beyond, player development) and not the bee (the short term desire to win, featuring in finals footy)

This won’t be popular; I am hoping we lose today so that it

a) leads to a cleanout of several underperforming senior players

b) hands us an early as possible 1st rd draft pick.

c) forces a re-evaluation of the possession first mentality to the game plan. This has killed the x factor to our ball movement and chaos we generated when inside 50.

I was positive after the loss to West Coast but the performances since then... coupled with the long term loss of key personnel in Cox (form), Howe, De Goey, Sidebottom and Stephenson (who is there only in body at the moment...)

Means we should put the cue in the rack and shift the focus to 2021.
No, culture is everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marcus Aurelius is probably my favourite philosopher. He’s said “that which is not good for the beehive is not good for the bee”...

This won’t be popular; I am hoping we lose today so that it...

...Means we should put the cue in the rack and shift the focus to 2021.

Per, usual, whiskeytown you have deeply thought about our conundrum.

I pose this rejoinder from Marcus Aurelius: 'Do every act of your life as though it were the very last act of your life.'

IF we lose to a miserable North, and then put the cue in the rack, we may find ourselves in Dante's Eighth Circle of Hell alongside the tankers Carlton and Melbourne.

This place cracks me up though. If we come out and win by 100 tonight, people will still be negative with sh*t like "paper over the cracks" 😂

If we win tonight.. I'm still eating pubes.. they're not all that bad re.

This place cracks me up though. If we come out and win by 100 tonight, people will still be negative with sh*t like "paper over the cracks" 😂

Genuinely think we can go deep in the finals, just not so sure that we are going to make it to the finals.

Even when up and about, I generally take a pessimistic slant to my predictions, so tonight I'm really not expecting too much at all. Would just be nice to see us start to click again, but I won't hold my breathe. Remember Rhyce and the Roos picked us apart last year too.

Pies by 2 points in a dour struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back