Votes: 68 82.9%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Another potentially good game ruined by the AFL having no contingency plan for injured players.

With the state of the game with 100 interchanges per game, is it fair that a team has to play more than half a game with a 2 man bench? As soon as Wood went down I knew the Dogs were in trouble. When MacCrae went down, I knew it was game over. The worst part is that the Dogs were actually cutting into Port's lead at that point. But how is a team supposed to mount any kind of attack when they have half the bench of the other team. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if the AFL wants to improve the state of the game they MUST bring in some kind of substitute rule for players unable to return to the field. If they don't want clubs to take advantage of the rule, then have an AFL approved doctor that examines the player unable to return and approves a replacement. Even have a list of reasons why a player cannot return to field which activates the substitute - hamstring, broken bone, concussion, dislocation. Any of those 100% injuries, clubs should be able to bring on a replacement player at the break. or to make it even, allow both teams to have 2 substitutions they can bring on.. one at the end of the half, one at the end of the 3rd. FFS, the amount of games I see teams get walked all over in the second half when they go men down is insane, particularly with the cotton wool approach they have these days. And the younger teams like the Dogs, Carlton, Lions really feel it when 1 or 2 of their experienced players go down. They may as well pack up and go home at that point.

Substitute rule makes sense so probably won't happen.

He has been good in the SANFL. He kicked a bag of six early in the year and has snagged a couple a game since in atrocious weather and games where we kicked 5-6 all up. Definitely deserved the recall.
You don’t kick well over 300 goals as a slow small forward without some nous and skill.

You could only wish to have Mr Liam in your pathetic back line.

Your mum let's me stay up while I am having fun.

He was definitely handy tonight and I think he might get a few games unless someone kicks a bag in the SANFL.
His primary value lies in his off-field work, helping develop your young forwards as well as helping out your indigenous boys. Playing at afl level is just an added bonus.

Their suporters won't like me saying this but I don't think Port are playing that well at the moment. I have watched both their last two games live and haven't been that impressed. The opposition both weeks have been very poor.

Having said that you can only beat who you come up against and they are getting the job done with plenty of potential to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their suporters won't like me saying this but I don't think Port are playing that well at the moment. I have watched both their last two games live and haven't been that impressed. The opposition both weeks have been very poor.

Having said that you can only beat who you come up against and they are getting the job done with plenty of potential to improve.
We’ve been winning ugly all year, except for the Freo cakewalk in round 1. At this point i’m Just thinking our game style is ugly, which is annoying, but winning isn’t.

Love robbie gray, great player....but god I hate commentators when they say that sort of goal is genius...there are 8 year olds down at the local park doing that. Its a good finish, but its not like he invented it.

It was a lot worse with Steve Johnson.

His primary value lies in his off-field work, helping develop your young forwards as well as helping out your indigenous boys. Playing at afl level is just an added bonus.

There was a lot of bagging us getting him last year. We lost Young, Impey, Austin, Trengove who are all getting games elsewhere and just needed someone who could put in an honest game rather than some 18 yr old pick 50-60. With Marshall having the year he has had + Watts, it has been handy to have him. We have decent depth in defence and midfield but the cupboard is bare at the moment with forwards. If he were blocking a kid from coming in, that might be different but Neade is the next pick and he frankly shouldn't play for the club again.

Well played by the Power tonight. Wingard has been brilliant the last two weeks. I understand how important he is in the forward line, but I honestly haven't seen him have this kind of effect in the midfield since his draft year. He surprised me a lot early on, with just how good he was as a one on one forward so it made sense to leave him there, but he has regressed quite badly the past three seasons- until his move into the middle. He's now looking exactly like the player I expected him to be when he was at Sturt and the state team.

I still think Port would be better off without Powell-Pepper. He had one excellent pass in the last quarter, but he continues to butcher it time and time again. I don't think his contested work makes up for his deficiencies with the ball in his hands.

Some have called it winning ugly or unimpressive, but I thought Port were very good again tonight. Plenty to be excited about :thumbsu:

Well played by the Power tonight. Wingard has been brilliant the last two weeks. I understand how important he is in the forward line, but I honestly haven't seen him have this kind of effect in the midfield since his draft year. He surprised me a lot early on, with just how good he was as a one on one forward so it made sense to leave him there, but he has regressed quite badly the past three seasons- until his move into the middle. He's now looking exactly like the player I expected him to be when he was at Sturt and the state team.

I still think Port would be better off without Powell-Pepper. He had one excellent pass in the last quarter, but he continues to butcher it time and time again. I don't think his contested work makes up for his deficiencies with the ball in his hands.

Some have called it winning ugly or unimpressive, but I thought Port were very good again tonight. Plenty to be excited about :thumbsu:
SPP has been outstanding since returning from suspension, he literally could not do a whole lot more. Him and Rockliff have added heaps to our team since coming in.

Today alone had 19 contested disposals, 2 goal assist, 7 scoring involvements, 7 clearances, 6 inside 50s. Can’t ask for more

I would really have to question anyone that says he hasn't been any good for 3 years. He kicked 38 goals from 18 games in 2016, 24.25 in 2017 playing half the year in the midfield ( and 22 touches per game) and this year he is averaging 18.8 touches, 1 goal a game even though he has kicked 11.15. Not only has he been injured at times over the past few years, but he has been medium term injuries leading into a season twice in a row which meant he had to build into the year. Being injured cost him an AA in 2016, and his inaccuracy cost him last year. This year is the 1st time he has genuinely been down and even then he should probably be 15-18 goals from 11 games + 19 disposals per game, and building.

SPP has been outstanding since returning from suspension, he literally could not do a whole lot more. Him and Rockliff have added heaps to our team since coming in.

Today alone had 19 contested disposals, 2 goal assist, 7 scoring involvements, 7 clearances, 6 inside 50s. Can’t ask for more

That for me is the reason for optimism. Port have been a completely different side the last 5 weeks. Early in the year it was Polec/Gray/ Wines Carrying the midfield. SPP/RockliffWingard/ have all improved markedly. Throw in Westhoff/ Ebert/ Boak who are all averaging 20+ possessions and that is as deep midfield as any other. Even Motlop had a decent game tonight.

Back