Game Day AFL Round 14 - Matchday Discussion Carlton@Collingwood(MCG – 3:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood and Carlton’s seasons have gone in completely opposite directions since the two sides met in round three. When the two sides last played, both sides were winless, and eventually Collingwood came through with the victory. Since this clash, Collingwood has gone on to become a top eight contender, whereas Carlton has floundered at the bottom of the ladder.

Collingwood

The Queen’s Birthday was considered by many as Collingwood’s big test after wins against bottom six teams. The Magpies passed with flying colors. Collingwood was in control for the majority of the game, and managed to hold their nerve whenever they were tested. Every player played his role in a clinical performance. Mason Cox played perhaps his best game for the club, kicking five goals. After a couple of quiet weeks, Jordan De Goey also played his best game for the club, leading the midfield with a dominant first half that really set the tone for the game. Treloar and Sidebottom also continued their fine seasons as well.

The man to watch this week is Tom Phillips. Phillips has had a solid season leading up to the game against Melbourne, but effectively tagged out of the game, meaning he had virtually no impact on the game. If Phillips is to improve, he must learn to break a tag.

Carlton

Carlton put in what was quite possibly their worst performance of the season in the first half against Fremantle last week. While the Blues were outsiders against Fremantle, no one could have possibly expected to see just how bad the Blues were. The team lacked any sense of chemistry, with players refusing to put their body on the line or look to pass off to teammates in better positions. The Carlton fans recognized this poor performance, and booed their players as they left the ground at halftime. To the Blue’s credit, they did manage to have a better second half, but it was clear Fremantle took their foot off the gas. If Carlton want to beat Collingwood, they need to start by scoring more. Last week the Blues failed to score a goal in the first half, they need to score more goals if they hope to beat Collingwood.

The man to watch for Carlton is Jacob Weitering. The young backmen has had to endure plenty of criticism and injuries this season, and as a result his confidence is shot. His performance against Fremantle was an improvement over previous efforts, but he still looked a step too slow.

Head to Head Odds
Carlton: $10.00

Collingwood: $1.06

TV

Live on Channel 7. National.
Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

ABC
3AW
MMM
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL

Tip

Many think that this should be an easy win for the Magpies, but Collingwood should be careful not come into this game thinking it is a guaranteed win. Carlton are capable of putting up a fight when they have the right mindset.

Collingwood by 35.

Burn them on a pyre

In almost a carbon copy of round 3, Carlton to get the jump. Pies to win by 4 goals.

I am keen for a resounding win - and imagining Carlton supporters grinding their teeth all afternoon.

Hopefully, the boys don't get ahead of themselves (there is most likely to be more competition for spots soon, after all).

Just play to the plan with energy and snuff out any signs of encouragement for the other mob.

Then it could end up being a very pleasant match to watch.

One more sleep.
I want that feeling walking from the MCG tomorrow. Anzac day was great, than Queens B'day topped it. Jeez, its good watching a team mesh and results in exciting wins. I do like a close contested game, however against the blues, I love smashing them. Cant wait.

One problem. Who will line up against Pickett?
476516_92c299557ce7ece59231dcaebeb43055.gif
Some Muppet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One more sleep.
I want that feeling walking from the MCG tomorrow. Anzac day was great, than Queens B'day topped it. Jeez, its good watching a team mesh and results in exciting wins. I do like a close contested game, however against the blues, I love smashing them. Cant wait.

One problem. Who will line up against Pickett?
View attachment 516783
Some Muppet.
Claude Rains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back