Game Day AFL Round 16 - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Essendon(MCG – 3:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A month ago, it would have been hard to believe that these two sides would be the form teams of the competition. While Collingwood were in good form, Essendon were floundering, with the side lacking any real cohesion. However, to the Bombers credit, they have been able to turn it around, and really push their case for a finals spot. Due to this, an intriguing matchup looms at the MCG that will have a significant bearing on where each side is at.

Collingwood

While they got the four points last week, Collingwood were far from impressive. Collingwood only played a quarter and a half of quality football, but it was enough to get the job done. Chris Mayne played his best game for Collingwood against the Suns, playing well all over the ground. His performance caps off a great return to the seniors side after he looked seriously out of favor with the selectors. Taylor Adams and Josh Thomas returned to form as well. However, even though Collingwood got the win, it was not without bad news. Key defender Lynden Dunn ruptured his ACL requiring a full reconstruction, therefore ruling him out for the season. This injury is especially cruel for Dunn, who was primed for his first finals series (permitting the Magpies make finals). The Dunn injury adds to a building injury list that has really stretched the depth of Collingwood. This depth will be tested when they come up against Essendon at the MCG. When Collingwood last played the Bombers on ANZAC Day, the Magpies were able to really put the pressure on the Bombers and force them into a sideways kicking game. Collingwood will be hoping to replicate the pressure that they used on ANZAC Day in hope for similar results.

The man to watch for Collingwood is Brody Mihocek. The mature aged recruit made his debut only a few games ago as a forward, but has been forced to the backline due to the injury of Dunn. While the Magpies are fortunate that Daniher is not playing, it will be important that Mihocek can gain experience and confidence in his new role until more reinforcements arrive back from injury.

Essendon

After losing to Collingwood on ANZAC Day, the Bombers fell into a downward spiral, hitting rock bottom with a loss to Carlton. Many were scrutinized, including their coach and their captain. However, Essendon have managed to turn their form around, becoming one of the in form teams in the entire competition. This sets up an enticing matchup with Collingwood. Part of the reasoning why Essendon has returned to such excellent form is their willingness to take the game on. Too often in the middle parts of the season, Essendon were too reluctant to take the game on, and were relying on chipping the ball around until a play opened up. This minimal risk play style has caused the Bombers to turnover the ball all too often. In addition to this, the injury to Joe Daniher has caused the Bombers to look for different options in the forward line, not choosing to rely on one single player. This creates an unpredictable setup, and is much more difficult for teams to plan around.

The man to watch for the Bombers is Shaun McKernan. McKernan has benefitted from the injury of Joe Daniher, as he has been able to slot right back into the side. However, his form was patchy at best up until recent weeks. This all changed with an excellent four goal performance against North Melbourne. It’s quite possible the inexperienced Mihocek will matchup on McKernan, creating an intriguing matchup to watch.

Changes
Collingwood

In: Greenwood
Out: Dunn
Essendon
In: Ben McNiece
Out: Matt Dea

Head to Head Odds
Collingwood: $1.63

Essendon: $2.30

TV

Live on Channel 7. Excluding QLD, NSW, WA.
Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

MMM
3AW
ABC

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL

Congratulations Steele Sidebottom

It’s the 200 games milestone for the talented midfielder. In his 10 seasons, Sidebottom has never lost that trademark smile. He has enjoyed a consistent career, highlighted with a premiership in 2010. He is currently enjoying his best season in his career.

Here’s his 10 goals from that TAC Cup final all those years ago:

Tip
Like ANZAC Day, this is a tricky game to tip. The Bombers are in good form, and the Magpies are injured. However, on paper, Collingwood is still the better team.
Collingwood by 10.

Last edited:
I'm really interested to see how Mihocek stands up if he plays full back. He has all the qualities but it doesn't always work out. If he can perform i'll feel so much better about our seasons chances.

I take any Win Tommorow with the Side we have out there.

Just hope my Bad Feeling is Wrong about Tommorow Game.

What the Odds who gets Injured Tommorow? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope He Misses the Week
Would help even out our losses, but still a 50/50 game imo. I'm hoping the boys just did what they had to the last few weeks and come out with Queen's birthday/first three quarters of Richmond game pressure. I think if we bring that, we can expose the Bombers mids.

Team changes from AD....

OUT: Murray, Dunn, Varcoe, Reid, Aish, Brown, Treloar
IN: Mayne, Appleby, Mihocek, Sier, Daicos, Greenwood, Adams

Essendon
OUT: Parish, Stewart, Daniher, Zaharakis, Begley, Green, Hartley
IN: Ambrose, McKenna, Colyer, McKernan, Fantasia, Langford, McNeice

Completely changed teams. McKenna, Colyer and Fantasia make them a much more dangerous combination.

Doubt there'll be much in it but I'm really worried we don't have enough left to roll them. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I take any Win Tommorow with the Side we have out there.

Just hope my Bad Feeling is Wrong about Tommorow Game.

What the Odds who gets Injured Tommorow? ;)
Your bad feelings don't mean much anymore TD. You've had them nearly every week this season and just about every time you have been wrong. If you had a good feeling I would be worried.

This is the first game in a while we're we have had to prove our credentials - let's hope were up to the task this arvo.

Collingwood by 36 points.

Want Steele to play the best game of his career.

Want Goddard to have a monumental dummy spit at his teammates.

Want to never go to freaking IKEA again, ever!! FFS how do you get out of there quickly?! Swedish neo-Nazi mofo founder...
Try the Swedish meatballs, makes going more bearable.

Big afternoon coming up, need to consolidate our position in the 4. Sydney losing has helped but we need to bring it this afternoon.
I want to see the Melbourne type game again.
The fridge is stacked and ready for Sunday afternoon footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back