Oppo Camp AFL Round 16 - Other Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Do Edge spikes only occur if the ball hits the post? Like if the ball passes milimetres from the post could edge pick up the ball passing by?

There was no change in the trajectory of that ball.

The fapping over Ugle-Hagan is reaching irritating levels already.
******* hate it. there's a ******* reason he hasn't played til the last 3rd of the season and no campaigner has been talking about him banging the door down. did it last year with that lazy campaigner rankine. literally done * all since his first couple game

Do Edge spikes only occur if the ball hits the post? Like if the ball passes milimetres from the post could edge pick up the ball passing by?

There was no change in the trajectory of that ball.
I was wondering this myself. Given the AFL’s amateurish philosophy to officiating, I would be unsurprised if this were the case.

As an aside, electronic refereeing is a blight on professional sport. It has rarely fixed poor decisions and only adds another layer of incompetence to them. It has also resulted in more inept officials who make lazy decisions and gutless non-calls because they hope that the video will bail them out.

Pretty sure the edge spikes would only occur if the ball hits the post; it's a microphone after all.

Edit: I'm certain of it actually.

The dogs under pressure in their defence is their biggest weakness. They sure can outscore teams, but their defence is their biggest weakness

******* hate it. there's a ******* reason he hasn't played til the last 3rd of the season and no campaigner has been talking about him banging the door down. did it last year with that lazy campaigner rankine. literally done fu** all since his first couple game
Nigel Carmody who is dull but still infinitely better than most of the vaudeville idiots on 7 has been insufferable with it. Screaming Ugle-Hagan when he thought a mark was taken and then was audibly disappointed when it was actually Bruce. He also claimed it would have to have been one of the better two disposal games played. * me Sam Weideman must definitely be worth a first round pick then.

Anyway, as I was saying yesterday, GC are very decent on their day ;)
I have no idea why any Melbourne supporter would be unwary of them. They are exactly the type of outfit that we could suddenly fail against

I have no idea why any Melbourne supporter would be unwary of them. They are exactly the type of outfit that we could suddenly fail against
We’ve just come off a win and are flying high. I’m already planning a three peat podcast. We’ll lose to Gold Coast is a topic for discussion after we balls it up against the Hawks.

I was wondering this myself. Given the AFL’s amateurish philosophy to officiating, I would be unsurprised if this were the case.

As an aside, electronic refereeing is a blight on professional sport. It has rarely fixed poor decisions and only adds another layer of incompetence to them. It has also resulted in more inept officials who make lazy decisions and gutless non-calls because they hope that the video will bail them out.
I agree. Howlers and controversial calls are a great part of sport, and stopping play for minutes to look at the playback sucks all the momentum out of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Howlers and controversial calls are a great part of sport, and stopping play for minutes to look at the playback sucks all the momentum out of the game.
Especially with how poor the cameras used are. I think the AFL reviews have generally been better this year in terms of speed, but still a lot of umps call because there isn't good enough tech to actually spot a touch/hit post, etc.

On edge, would a player hitting the post be picked up? If they did it at the time the ball crossed could be iffy.

Dunno. I have spent hundreds of thousands of hours recording and staring at waveforms though.

If it's that decisive I'm surprised they even bother looking at the footage. Why not just go straight to edge?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back