Autopsy AFL Round 19 - Another Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Your stats argument assumes players don't take their foot off the pedal at all during games and go at 100% regardless of the match situation. Which they don't.

Its Rich DNA to smash teams particularly late in games - it’s been their brand for 3 years. We were victims twice last season.

They couldn’t do it - it’s that simple

Collingwood have fallen out of the top four with a sloppy first half against Richmond to perish by 32 points. Collingwood were not able to hold their marks or gain significant forward territory in wet conditions that Richmond were able to exploit during that time. The second half was uneventful with the Magpies getting as close as 30 points down during time-on in the third term, before the Tigers responded accordingly on the scoreboard for the remainder of the contest to ensure the Woods did not get as close as five goals when the final siren sounded.

The only statistics Collingwood gained in their favour were hit-outs by +21 (42 - 21), contested possessions were +8 (150 - 142), stoppage clearances were won by +8 (26 - 18), and +4 for intercept possessions (86 - 82). Richmond took control of disposals by +18 (404 - 386), kicks were +16 (248 - 232), +2 for handballs (156 - 154) and uncontested possessions were won by +14 (240 - 226). The Tigers won further categories from marks by +6 (95 - 89), uncontested marks were also +6 (86 - 80), Marks Inside 50 was +4 (12 - 8), while tackles were won by +9 (59 - 50) and +2 for Tackles Inside 50 (10 - 8). Lastly in the categories that Richmond claimed were centre clearances by +8 (15 - 7) and +12 for Inside 50's (61 - 49). Clearances (33 each) and Contested Marks (9 apiece) were evenly shared.

Adam Treloar (39 disposals @ 67%, 457 metres gained, 16 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 24 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50's, 2 Rebound 50's & 1 goal) continued his solid form in chalking up his possessions without maximising the damage from the disposals he won from both sides of the contest.

Chris Mayne (30 disposals @ 80%, 346 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 12 handballs, 7 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 7 Rebound 50's) fought hard for his disposals and provided a hit-up option whenever his temmates went for the short kick or switch on transition when the ball was moved laterally.

Jordan De Goey (28 disposals @ 68%, 587 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 10 handballs, 10 marks, 2 tackles, 7 score involvements, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 11 Inside 50's & 1 goal) was perhaps the only player that looked like impacting the contest for the Woods, when the majority of his teammates crumbled around him.

Scott Pendlebury (28 disposals @ 68%, 402 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 14 handballs, 4 marks, 5 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50's, 2 Rebound 50's & 2 goals) played a very solid game that looked good on paper, but was conservative in the manner that he won the ball.

Jack Crisp (26 disposals @ 58%, 317 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 21 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 12 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 2 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50's) spent the majority of his game in the midfield, where he did not display authority and conviction with his ball use.

Steele Sidebottom (25 disposals @ 60%, 308 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50's & 4 Rebound 50's) made some sloppy errors in a game that was below par by his standards.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (20 disposals @ 65%, 452 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 12 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 2 score involvements, 5 Inside 50's & 3 Rebound 50's) adapted nicely as a makeshift defender to take his marks and provide territory from defence.

That's all of the players I'm giving a pass mark from the game against Richmond. Nobody else demanded a significant portion to warrant a summary. I'd want a signicant increase in the output of the playing group next week.

Collingwood's next game will be against the Gold Coast Suns on August 4 at the MCG. Time to start putting a decent month of footy together before September arrives. Currently two games clear of 9th place, so let's get August off to a flyer Woods!

Last edited:
Mod Post:

Think it is a timely reminder of two Collingwood Board rules that some posters appear to be ignoring:
  • This is a forum for Collingwood supporters, not Collingwood detractors, so if you dip predominantly into the latter, you leave yourself open to sanctions. Repetitive negative agendas will be watched closely and actioned.
  • If you want to post about how those in charge have got it wrong, try to do so in a way that displays a modicum of maturity and intelligence. Objectivity is the key.
Further opposition supporters please note:
  • Constructive and friendly debate is more than welcome.
  • Remember to tread extra softly on our board joining in banter 'okay' rather than misinterpreted as trolling...
  • Disrespect towards Collingwood or its players will be met with an infraction
this board is getting way too sanitized and censored for my liking. I even had my avatar removed because it criticized vicious aparhied zoinist criminals, who by the way now control this coutnry too. I think I'll just move back to Nick's.

Slightly delayed reaction considering I only managed to bring myself to watch the post-match conference now after the trauma of being present last night and witnessing that, but can I just say...Buckley reckons we're "only a little bit off"? Only a LITTLE BIT OFF??!!! 😳😲🤔 what kind of hard s**t has he been smoking, the bloke is absolutely fukn fried if thats his honest assessment. We are completely cooked if last night is the best we can muster from here on in
It’s called self preservation. He will do anything to hold onto the job.

Hopefully Suns play us into form next week, we are patchy and in desperate need of some confidence.

I get the politically correct stand the injuries are not an excuse but they are, every team gets them but when you have 18 players out of selection it is tough. You need the guys fighting for positions and rotate the form guys in.

Maybe not an excuse we use but it is a reason for form issues.

Hopefully Suns play us into form next week, we are patchy and in desperate need of some confidence.

I get the politically correct stand the injuries are not an excuse but they are, every team gets them but when you have 18 players out of selection it is tough. You need the guys fighting for positions and rotate the form guys in.

Maybe not an excuse we use but it is a reason for form issues.
The poor form in my view, is due to a lack of cohesion, which probably started with some complaceny from winning easily in the early part of the year. When the injuries hit, the work rate and cohesion was no longer there to get us the wins.

It's the cohesion which made us hard to play against, not so much the personnel, however now the injuries have hit and we're under pressure, it's going to be incredibly hard to get it back.

What I'd like to see for the GC game, is go all out offensive attack and move the ball forward at evey opportunity as fast as possible. We won't lose doing this, but who knows, we might just give our forwards a chance and get back to something that puts the wind up the opposition.

I haven't given up yet. Not until it is mathematically impossible or if players needed won't make it time.

For mine the final 8 is just like a season starting up all over again and anything can happen.
According the Squiggle right now we have a 95% chance to make finals. With that going up if we beat GC and Melbourne, I think those wins will be enough to lock in finals.
Get some co fidence back in these next two games, head to Adelaide and show them what we've got, then head back home and get a finals sneak peak playing Essendon. The effort/intensity displayed in that game will determine whether we've cone to play finals.

I would consider not winning a quarter, until the last (won it by 6), as essentially being blown away - yes.

Hardwick would be very content, I'm sure. They were 50+ points up in the last, and we pinched a few cheap ones late.
If the tables were turned, how many of the usual suspects in the matchday and post match threads would be happy with Buckley being very content?
How many would shift the focus onto our inability to build on a big lead rather than state that we took the foot off because the game was effectively over at quarter time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Treloar 23
Sidebottom (11w, 11i)
Phillips 21 wing
Pendlebury 19 (5w)
de Goey 16
Daicos 14 wing
Crisp 10 (1w)
Thomas 4
C.Brown 1

Rucks:
Grundy 18
Cox 8

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
de Goey 3
Treloar 2
Pendlebury 1
Cox 1

1st Half - 13

Treloar 11
Phillips 11 wing
Sidebottom 10 wing
Crisp 10 (1w)
Pendlebury 9 (2w)
de Goey 8
Thomas 4
Daicos 2 wing

Grundy 10
Cox 3

2nd Half - 13

Treloar 12
Sidebottom 12 (1w)
Daicos 12 wing
Phillips 10 wing
Pendlebury 10 (3w)
C.Brown 1

Grundy 8
Cox 5

Notes:
- Most starts for Daicos in an analysed game since Rd 11, 2018
- Most starts for Thomas in an analysed game since Rd 16, 2018

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Treloar 23
Sidebottom (11w, 11i)
Phillips 21 wing
Pendlebury 19 (5w)
de Goey 16
Daicos 14 wing
Crisp 10 (1w)
Thomas 4
C.Brown 1

Rucks:
Grundy 18
Cox 8

de Goey 3
Treloar 2
Pendlebury 1
Cox 1

1st Half - 13

Treloar 11
Phillips 11 wing
Sidebottom 10 wing
Crisp 10 (1w)
Pendlebury 9 (2w)
de Goey 8
Thomas 4
Daicos 2 wing

Grundy 10
Cox 3

2nd Half - 13

Treloar 12
Sidebottom 12 (1w)
Daicos 12 wing
Phillips 10 wing
Pendlebury 10 (3w)
C.Brown 1

Grundy 8
Cox 5

Notes:
Thanks for the breakdown. 26 centre bounces resulted in 7 centre clearances in our favour. That’s a pretty low return. Hope we can change this trend leading into finals.

Treloar 23
Sidebottom (11w, 11i)
Phillips 21 wing
Pendlebury 19 (5w)
de Goey 16
Daicos 14 wing
Crisp 10 (1w)
Thomas 4
C.Brown 1

Rucks:
Grundy 18
Cox 8

de Goey 3
Treloar 2
Pendlebury 1
Cox 1

1st Half - 13

Treloar 11
Phillips 11 wing
Sidebottom 10 wing
Crisp 10 (1w)
Pendlebury 9 (2w)
de Goey 8
Thomas 4
Daicos 2 wing

Grundy 10
Cox 3

2nd Half - 13

Treloar 12
Sidebottom 12 (1w)
Daicos 12 wing
Phillips 10 wing
Pendlebury 10 (3w)
C.Brown 1

Grundy 8
Cox 5

Notes:

Winning 7 out of 26 centre clearances with a ruck as good as Grundy is a damning indictment of our midfielders’ work rate and strength/hardness in the contest.

It also highlights the importance of a fit Adams and an in-form Sier. In the absence of those two I’d like to see Crisp and Maynard in there more often. They won’t squib the contest.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rucks STILL won't spike the ball forward rather than dropping it at their feet. Coxy twice hit the ball straight to the Tiger spare at centre bounces instead of just bashing it 30m forward. Just do it!

Couldn't believe we allowed a Richmond player to stand unattended forward of those stoppages.

I left the MCG Friday night somewhat bewildered.
For the first 20 minutes I thought that we were on top.
AFter sulking for the best part of the week, I went and watched the first quarter replay.
I was right.

We should have been 2 or 3 in front early. Cox and Grundy missed very gettable shots. Crocker dropped a chest mark in the square and Grundy dropped a hot one within kicking distance. Poor decisions by Thomas and a skill error by Sidebottom of all people probably cost us any momentum. Once Richmond got on top, their front runners were all over us.

The start of the 2nd quarter was abysmal. Otherwise I thought we were OK.

Get Stephenson back and Adams and maybe just maybe Wells and we'll be OK

I still think we're a big chance but we have to win this weekend.
Form is temporary and class is permanent

Rucks STILL won't spike the ball forward rather than dropping it at their feet. Coxy twice hit the ball straight to the Tiger spare at centre bounces instead of just bashing it 30m forward. Just do it!
It wasn't just Cox. If I didn't know better I would have thought that the connection between Grundy and Martin was almost Thompson/Richardson like. You would swear that Grundy was deliberately hitting it to him

Winning 7 out of 26 centre clearances with a ruck as good as Grundy is a damning indictment of our midfielders’ work rate and strength/hardness in the contest.

It also highlights the importance of a fit Adams and an in-form Sier. In the absence of those two I’d like to see Crisp and Maynard in there more often. They won’t squib the contest.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mayne would have been handy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back