Review AFL Round 2 autopsy - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AFL Round 2 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 2 points

I know you would take a Grand Final every day of the week, but every time we sneak from behind, steal victory from Hawthorn, break the hearts of all their fans and drive the knife in a little further, I feel like I'm getting something back for the GF loss of '08.
So much heart at this club. They just refuse to lose to a club which, by all rights, probably should have won at least half of the encounters we've had since the Grand Final we lost to them.
So many great moments and great signs from this game. Well done, boys.

As far as Smedts goes he is effectively a year behind Guthrie courtesy of the hip surgery. He will benefit from heading back to the VFL and playing a strong season out there like Guthrie did last year. I'd be bringing GHS in for a run while he is in good form with the same outlook.

Can't wait till these young fella's have had a few more pre season's and have put on some bulk they are going to be seriously good units for us

I really can't believe we won that match

Everyone's covered the good players, but I thought West did really well as solo ruckman

Hinkley29 nailed it - Bundy was a huge part of that last quarter. He's got great fitness and he just uses his first option so well that his possessions really seem to kick start something. Whereas other players take too long to make a decision, Bundy just goes "Yep, that's my first option" and makes it stick with clean disposal. This allows the receiving player some extra time to make the next play. It's just some really technically sound play from Bundy that you love to see in a young player

Still some worrying skill errors / slack disposal / letting the ball bounce from the usual suspects in Mackie and SJ. However, how about Mackies smother in the goal square. AWESOME!

Chappy did well but he was slightly off the pace. Would like to see him playing forward more, instead of mainly in the midfield

Stokes.... all I'll say is that it can't be long now. For a low possession player, he makes some bad mistakes with the chances he does get

Byrnes had some familiar moments where he won the ball well but then butchered the kick. At least he's still worrying sides with his pace

Motlop looked good! Seemed to be able to create some space with his run and angles. Very new so compare him to Varcoe's stage and he's doing okay

Love Taylor Hunt.

And once again, Rioli does basically nothing against Geelong and proves he is by far the most overrated player in the competition.

Thank you! Good to know i am not alone on this.

I'm sure the coverage will show his goals and say he is a freeak. But at the sam rtime ignore the 3 one-on-one contests he lost and many turnovers.

FoxC you need to change your sig from Mitchell and Hodge - Ling's bitches
to Hawthorn - Geelong's bitches

Such a great win, love beating Hawthorn :D

Sure you can say the Hawks lost the game with their goalkicking in the last, but we won it too, efforts like Bartel running back with the flight, Selwood's courage, Mackie's smother and Pods and Hawk clunking them showed we deserve to win, absolute grit and determination by the boys.

On the whole we were scrappy, thought we turned the ball over a lot coming out of d50 and didn't deliver it well going forward. It was clear fairly early on that Schoen was the weak link and so even at three quarter time I was still confident we could win if we could get the ball to our forwards one out enough. Hopefully our execution improves in the weeks to come but you can't fault the effort at the contest today.

That said I feel we blundered tactically. I love Byrnes and I can understand why they made the change when they knew the rain was coming, but Shan and Stokes had no impact whatsoever, meanwhile in the second half we had guys like Corey and Bartel going up in the ruck because Westy couldn't get to every contest. Had we lost we'd probably all be talking about it. (Just thank goodness they didn't put Hawkins in the ruck like they would have done 12-18 months ago!) Even more so about Brown sub, I like him, but for goodness sake put him in the 21 this Sunday or leave him out, about the worst tactical sub choice imaginable, shades of Gillies last year, and lucky that unlike that night we didn't get away with it.

Back to positives though, the kids showed so much today for me. Love Guthrie and Poodle, can't believe how little credit the latter in particular gets on the board. What stands out is how many clutch tackles they both struck and how strong at the contest they are, they are ready to be regular members of the 22 this year. Smedts was great too, I thought he ran out of gas in the second half and it showed in a couple of his defensive decisions (which is perfectly fair enough for a guy who's been injured for the best part of 2 years) so I'm not sure he'll be as regular as the other 2 for the rest of the year, but by gee his agility in traffic is so good, he will be a player. Motlop I thought was good albeit that he tried a little bit too often to try and make something out of nothing, with lateral handballs and tap backs and the like. He will benefit from a game like today in terms of learning in those conditions in that heat the importance of just being strong in the contest and getting the ball forward at all costs. Bundy is dead set important to our midfield now, he gives such spark when he is in there, and I'm so confident in Duncan's decision making. The future is bright.

Comprehensive write-up PO.

As they suggested on Footy Classified tonight there's a touch of the Cyril's about Motlop. Didn't get a lot of it today but I think he might turn out to be what that great NBA coach Phil Jackson referred to as an 'artist'.:thumbsu:

As for the young-uns generally. They were impressive but how fortunate are they to be surrounded by such mentors.

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I think Mots has made massive strides this pre season and he was really good again today, I was just talking about minor stuff, balancing how much risk you take in inclement conditions vs contest work and metreage, which he'll learn. Really good today though, has some real skill.

I agree, when you look at a game like today, the skill but more importantly the work rate and self belief of the seniors helps the young ones so much. But the good thing is you can see them all improving week by week, which means they should continue to become good players in their own right even when the seniors around them hang up the boots etc.

And once again, Rioli does basically nothing against Geelong and proves he is by far the most overrated player in the competition.

This is an unfair yet popular opinion. His few touches were all CLASS.. Seriously. Just needs to hunt the ball more. Would love him in the hoops.

That was our 10th straight win at the G (4 x Hawks, 3 x Pies, 2 x Saints, 1 x WC).

Unbeaten there since Scott took over.

This is an unfair yet popular opinion. His few touches were all CLASS.. Seriously. Just needs to hunt the ball more. Would love him in the hoops.

Never said he wasnt a good player. But people rave on about him like he is the second coming, and everytime he gets the ball he does good with it, but how often does he get the ball? He plays well in maybe 1 out of 4 games, and the others he goes missing where he will make he occasional touch and look good doing it but actually have no real impact on the game.

Mitchell, Franklin, Hodge and Roughead are far more damaging and more consistent then Rioli ever has been. Mitchell is an absolute star and it baffles me he doesnt get discussed in the "midfield elite" talks. Heck, I would probably prefer someone more workmanlike then Sewell rather then the flash in a pan antics of Rioli.

Is Rioli really that much better then Varcoe, who I suppose playstyle wise is similar?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: WE WON I ****ING LOVE THIS CLUB...GO Cats!!!

Incredible win.

Hawkins has taken the step we all hoped he would and is backing up his finals series from last year, no doubt he is the real deal, his contested marking was sublime. With Podsy and Sj our forward line is looking potent.

Also Jimmy Bartel would have to be the most clutch player in the league, in the big games, in the big moments he lifts himself to an extraordinary level. Was huge all around the ground today as he always tends to be in these sort of matches.

Great post, my thoughts exactly. Bartel is a hero, deserves more praise for how he can lift the club with a mark & goal (usually from 50 metres). He did it in the GF and again today. Legend.

After following Tomahawk through all his trials and tribulations, I'm loving the success he's seeing now. I just get so pumped and can't wait for him to kick a bag of 5 or 6. Even if he kept his output to 2-3 with all the marks and pack-crashing he's doing, its awesome. Kid has wings with the mark he took in the first quarter. Just hung in the air!

Roast: Stokes was rubbish in conditions that should have suited crumbers. With players like Motlop showing a lot of promise (and Menzel surely to come back in) I wonder how long he is given a free pass for these efforts.

Loved the game... the intensity of it building as it moved into the final plays...these are two good sides.

Geelong really are very good. On that performance we are right in this again.

A few observations for what its worth..

1) Christensen....absolutely enormous. This boy is a fixture in our midfield for a long time to come. How he got to 40 in the draft is beyond me.

2) Taylor Hunt...a lot has been said already.Did a great job in the second half.

3) Guthrie...This kid is a player. We will see a lot of him from now on. Great job.

4) Smedts...I thought played well. Steep learning curve but seems in his element. We will see a bit of him too over the next few years.

5) West. Have read a few negative reports on him. Cant agree with them...he did very well and is improving game by game. He was still jumping and running and setting up clearances in the last quarter when the Hawk big men had stopped to a walk. Played a role in the win.

6) Motlop. Serviceable and showed composure and class. More games into this kid will reap wonderful rewards.

I haven't mentioned Hawkins, Selwood, Bartel, Kelly, Corey, Lonergan, Taylor, Enright, Mackie, SJ or Pods.....their efforts speak for themselves. But these six inexperienced players did their bit on the big stage and from what I saw it seems to me this Geelong side has plenty to offer for quite sometime yet.

Frankly...it amazing.

PS: I miss Trav :thumbs:..............and Menz :)

Why was Selwood booed off when he was concussed?

I think it was because Breust took the free kick and the Hawthorn supporters react to every Breust touch the same way as Collingwood supporters react to Toovey. At least, I hope that's the explanation. Thumbs up to Whitecross too for his reaction after Selwood went down.

I seriously don't think it's anything against Rioli. It's just resentment towards how much the commentators pump everything he does up and their supporters are pretty much the same. The Hawthorn supporters near me were literally squealing his name every time he got near it. Like last week, he was ok, nothing more than that.

Haven't seen it on television yet, but that Smedts intercept of a Hawthorn handball, shimmy to get clear and then bomb to the goalsquare with the lucky roll through for a goal was awesome.

Re: WE WON I ****ING LOVE THIS CLUB...GO Cats!!!

Roast: Stokes was rubbish in conditions that should have suited crumbers. With players like Motlop showing a lot of promise (and Menzel surely to come back in) I wonder how long he is given a free pass for these efforts.

Have to agree, reluctantly. Stokes kicking has gone to the .......... and he didn't get enough of it anyway.

All the small forward types went missing though. While watching the game (live for a change) i was very critical of Motlop. I will need to watch a replay but I don't remember him doing anything much. Except:

1. trying to finess when clearly solid body contact was called for to get better position (or prevent being manouvered off the ball).
2. getting lost in the middle of defensive zones - jogging to places where he could not impact. In the third Q. in particular.

And while i am at it I have seen him go to ground too often also over the preseason etc .

Do I think Motlop he is a good footballer?- yes I do. He has a huge upside but there is still lots to learn. This experience will fast track his development.

Chappy was a big worry for me too. Discussed this at the game. Its hard to know what his problem is because his effort can't be faulted and he hits very hard still. Just a form and confidence thing I hope.

I am amazed really that we won with a forward line consisting of Hawkins and Pods with a few flashes from Johnson.

Was interested to see we kicked 14.3 off the boot yesterday, with 5 behinds being rushed.

After poor kicking costing us dearly in Perth, it's obvious they worked on the goalkicking during the week, and it showed by the way we kicked in the inclement conditions yesterday.

I'm absolutely excited about our future too. Once again the kids stood up when it counted. Bundy was sensational in the 2nd half and was at the forefront of our comeback, Taylor Hunt did a great job on Mitchell, Guthrie and Smedts showed glimpses of class, and Motlop continued on with his early season form. Add all that to Hawkins taking yet another step in his footballing development (he would have to be close to the best key forward in wet weather at the moment), and it augurs well for the future.

Hawthorn can talk up their youngsters all they want, but our youngsters yesterday showed a lot more than the likes of Breust, Savage and Schoenmakers.

Wonder if Schroder might be considered for Stokes next week?

Thought Mitch Brown moved well when he finally saw some action, could be damaging on a flank where he could use his height and marking talents to advantage.

Gotta rank up there with the great Geelong victories of recent times, they all should be very proud and confident for another tilt at the flag.

anyone know where i can see the coaches press conferences?

i've been checking the AFL site and GFC site but they're not up yet.

have looked on youtube as well.

thanks in advance

anyone know where i can see the coaches press conferences?

i've been checking the AFL site and GFC site but they're not up yet.

They are up on the Geelong footy app if that helps.

I think there are some very harsh people on here. Hawthorn will have had a full pre season, they have known about this fixture for a long time and planned for it. They threw everything they had at us in unforgiving conditions and still they couldn't get away.

Yes some players were down and not perfect but I cannot fault anyone on effort. There were quite I few times I was cheering for Shagga, some choices he made were poor but he was trying and running for all he was worth.

Chappy certainly looked like someone with something in the back of his mind but he was there and trying hard. He may still have some hammy concerns which is why he wasn't chasing as hard as you may think he should but I wouldn't be writing his eulogy just yet.

I the only person I think did go missing and was a little disappointing was Stokes. But I will cut him some slack it being round 2.

This was a team effort. Well Done Geelong.

On a side note to the two old fart bar steward Hawthorn "fans" sat in front of me who started shouting that "they came to see a football game not some ducking Geelong player being paraded off the ground" when Selwood was being carried off, go get yourselves a life!

Sledging I can take but to knock a clearly injured player, who at that time we had no idea how injured he was, is just low.

They are up on the Geelong footy app if that helps.

I think there are some very harsh people on here. Hawthorn will have had a full pre season, they have known about this fixture for a long time and planned for it. They threw everything they had at us in unforgiving conditions and still they couldn't get away.

Yes some players were down and not perfect but I cannot fault anyone on effort. There were quite I few times I was cheering for Shagga, some choices he made were poor but he was trying and running for all he was worth.

Chappy certainly looked like someone with something in the back of his mind but he was there and trying hard. He may still have some hammy concerns which is why he wasn't chasing as hard as you may think he should but I wouldn't be writing his eulogy just yet.

I the only person I think did go missing and was a little disappointing was Stokes. But I will cut him some slack it being round 2.

This was a team effort. Well Done Geelong.

On a side note to the two old fart bar steward Hawthorn "fans" sat in front of me who started shouting that "they came to see a football game not some ducking Geelong player being paraded off the ground" when Selwood was being carried off, go get yourselves a life!

Sledging I can take but to knock a clearly injured player, who at that time we had no idea how injured he was, is just low.

Was thinking of a different 4 letter word, and then "ed" on the end.

Think most have expressed my thoughts the game. We had the mental toughness, the game plan that was the most efficient but we were also lucky. We had several mature guys off their best. Chappy is just out of form , as is Stokes. Byrnes was just ordinary and should have been the sub for mine. Do they get a rest , well thats difficult . I think we are just about maxed out with kids.

Won't spend too much time commenting on our stars , we all know how good they are.

so

Hawkins. My criticism of his him been his kicking. I do think he has improved, especially when he is confident of the distance. When he is further out than 40/45 he is less confident and more likely to go too close to the man on the mark. Perhaps its time for him to add a paced out distance to his routine. The same 12 paces back from the mark( for eg.) every time. It will ensure he doesn't get suckered like he did in the last q , with the Haw player running at him in the last minute.

Motlop did well. In a heavy , wet day. He does need to add a bit of a tank but he showed good game sense in the heat of battle. The one in the last should have setup a goal bar the spilled mark by Bundy.

Christensen , awesome effort. When we really getting flogged he stepped up and added something in the middle. Doubt he will be sub too many more times.

Brown , just crazy use of him imo. Against a side that doesn't like talented tall forwards , we had him sitting with the green on. We were lucky our talls had on day with their setshots

Guthrie. He will end up being valuable for us than Darling would have been for us. When had some muscle he will be a rock.

Hunt. Becoming a good solid player for us with more important roles

Thought I'd have a look at the Hawks board.
This is the general wrap up.

"it's not the kind of weather that suits our elite precision kicking style"
"we'll beat them next time"
"shoey is crap"
"clarko should be sacked"
"we've been the better team for the majority of our last 8 games. We certainly have more talent"
"we are mentally weak"
"the umps cost us" (to be fair many are saying that wasn't the case)
"shoey"
"bateman"
"osborne"
"this was geelongs grand final"

They're pretty annoyed it's fair to say.
I love the fact that so many of them were worried at 3/4 time.

Hawkins. My criticism of his him been his kicking. I do think he has improved, especially when he is confident of the distance. When he is further out than 40/45 he is less confident and more likely to go too close to the man on the mark. Perhaps its time for him to add a paced out distance to his routine. The same 12 paces back from the mark( for eg.) every time. It will ensure he doesn't get suckered like he did in the last q , with the Haw player running at him in the last minute.

Can someone who has the knowhow please upload the Hawkins kick at goal in the 3rd quarter?

YOTC?

The one kicked from 50 when the wind held it up and it dropped short.
I dont think I have ever seen him use that kicking action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back