AFL Round 23, 2017 - AFLW Origin - Victoria v Allies

Remove this Banner Ad

The runners are virtually in the play. Were on for basically the whole first quarter, only meters from ball ups in some cases and the players were having to kick around them. How is this allowed?

Not going to win over any new fans tonight. I am a massive supporter of AFLW but this has been ugly.
A contest would have been a good start..

Opening quarter was a decent contest. Obviously one sided ever since, but you probably won't hear too many Vic fans complaining.

I'm a Vic fan and complaining, very average viewing and a very poor crowd. Last year was much better!
The problem with the women at the moment is some of the players are just not good enough. As the league continues to develop the bottom tier players will improve and the quality will improve.

The gap in class was a bit disappointing, but some of the Vic passages of play were brilliant. They seemed to know each other better, played for each other, backed each other up, got more numbers to the ball, just better all round.

I can't help thinking that they are more likely to play for the big V than what the other lot are likely to do for something meaningless like the Allies concept.

At some point, and hopefully it's not too far away, we want all 8 states and territories playing rep football on a regular basis, with the two best states playing off in this sort of fixture.

The gap in class was a bit disappointing, but some of the Vic passages of play were brilliant. They seemed to know each other better, played for each other, backed each other up, got more numbers to the ball, just better all round.

I can't help thinking that they are more likely to play for the big V than what the other lot are likely to do for something meaningless like the Allies concept.

At some point, and hopefully it's not too far away, we want all 8 states and territories playing rep football on a regular basis, with the two best states playing off in this sort of fixture.

I think this the catch 22 which will keep rep footy out of the adult elite in the women's as it is in the mens

The "allies" just means "not vic"....hardly inspiring

Also most of the Vic girls probably live in Vic and play AFLV with and against each other for their long season. The Mishmash are more spread across the nation, only play each other in the short AFLW season and are generally playing in inferior leagues at this stage of the year.
Its hard to envisage that, for example, Vic v WA would have produced a much more lopsided scoreline.

Also most of the Vic girls probably live in Vic and play AFLV with and against each other for their long season. The Mishmash are more spread across the nation, only play each other in the short AFLW season and are generally playing in inferior leagues at this stage of the year.
Its hard to envisage that, for example, Vic v WA would have produced a much more lopsided scoreline.

Good points. Probably no surprise that three of the five best for the allies have been playing in the vflw this year

It won't happen. The needs of the AFLW league will take preference over some meaningless rep games. The women will, like the men, realise its all about the League. Its just the way it is. Its hard to give their all to both League & rep football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't happen. The needs of the AFLW league will take preference over some meaningless rep games. The women will, like the men, realise its all about the League. Its just the way it is. Its hard to give their all to both League & rep football.

I think that's a fair enough view, and one which will be borne out over the long term, but in these early stages of women's footy, there might still be an opening for rep footy.

Lets hope that next year will be different. Just warming to this myself I must admit that I am still cool.

Don't rush it or else people will be turned off by too much hype and per bole.
it will happen to be a thing to watch as long as everyone involved still hangs around with as much enthusiasm.

I think that's a fair enough view, and one which will be borne out over the long term, but in these early stages of women's footy, there might still be an opening for rep footy.
They may go back to an All stars concept. State of origin with only 1 state is not really state of origin anyway.

Even reading the teamsheets indicated this was the likely outcome. Women's footy, perhaps even more than men's is a midfielders game, and this was a game between the best women's midfield ever assembled, and a midfield that would have been average in a AFLW team.

All-stars let's them pick for an even contest.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back