Secular Bicep

All Australian
Suspended
Apr 11, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Easy win coming up.

Everyone are overrated Melbourne saying they are better than they are because they beat Richmond and Adelaide, teams that haven't won a game yet? The Hawks gave them a lesson in round 1. They met Adelaide, who are underperforming, Richmond who are horrible and Collingwood which they did well against but I would only rate that performance as a bounce back performance.

Melbourne don't have the personnel to stop our midfield and our forward line. Our forward line will dominate. The only time we will be challenged in this match is in the first half of the first quarter, if that. This is going to be one way traffic similar to the win over Port Adelaide.

This will definately be over 50 points unless the boys decide to do a training run in the last quarter like we did against Port Adelaide. Nothing wrong with that.

Easy win coming up.

Everyone are overrated Melbourne saying they are better than they are because they beat Richmond and Adelaide, teams that haven't won a game yet? The Hawks gave them a lesson in round 1. They met Adelaide, who are underperforming, Richmond who are horrible and Collingwood which they did well against but I would only rate that performance as a bounce back performance.

Melbourne don't have the personnel to stop our midfield and our forward line. Our forward line will dominate. The only time we will be challenged in this match is in the first half of the first quarter, if that. This is going to be one way traffic similar to the win over Port Adelaide.

This will definately be over 50 points unless the boys decide to do a training run in the last quarter like we did against Port Adelaide. Nothing wrong with that.

Far more dangerous to underrate an opposition than to overrate them. Weren't you saying we would be lucky to be within four goals of the Dogs?

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Obvious that Ash and Clark slot straight back in this week, likely for Hawskley and Selwood.

One thing I've noticed in the last few weeks is how clean our disposal by hand and foot has been. In previous years there have been many facepalm clangers that aren't as apparent this year. List improvement has helped this, as has the addition of the crew of 2008 draft who generally seem superb in disposal.
This has contrasted sharply with the amount of goals we have been scoring from turnovers, which admittedly is partially due to our defensive pressure. When you think of the elite sides (St kilda, Geelong, and up until the home and away season, Bulldogs) their disposal allows confidence in the team to stream forward, with minimal chance of a turnover catching them out in transition. We seem to be heading in this direction (and yes I know it's early days).

Whilst I'm a fan of Proud and Selwood I worry their disposal is not yet up to par.
Staker has been presenting well and has been a reasonable link player, but definitely needs to improve his disposal and goal kicking, otherwise when players start returning from injury his position may become a little tenuous- I'd rather drop him than a Rockliff or Polkinghorne. Indeed Acorn may also be considered if a third tall is a structure we want to persevere with.
I like Buchanan, but he'd also want to be in red hot form in the 2's to deserve a call up.

Loved to be proved wrong there Staker/Proud/Selwood/Hawskley.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Easy win coming up.

Ever heard of the 2008 Fat lady?

The game is still 5 days away and you're already wheeling out the 2010 version:mad:

Don't know what you are talking about Fat Lady correctly predicted a Melbourne win.

In my industry thats called "Creative Accounting":eek:

lionroar

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2009
A Lone Lion @ my work
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Detroit Tigers
why am i more nervous before this game than before the Bulldogs game ... hmmm

istockphoto_6567662-biting-fingernails.jpg

_hyphy

All Australian
Jun 3, 2008
Los Angelas, USA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Curious about some of the match-ups this week. Who will Goose take? not sure if Selwood really deserves to be dropped. Hawksley would be the obvious out for Clark, but who makes way for Ash will be interesting.

roostersgal4eva

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2002
Adelaide United 4EVA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
North Adelaide Roosters
I hate these type of games

the more you say team 'x' is suppose to wipe the floor with team 'y' the more likely team 'y' causes an upset

Remember last time we played these mob over there :eek: and they have impoved 1000 fold since that day

Im more nervous in games where everyone thinks we are a shoe in than those who say its a 50/50 game or we have no chance

Am always more nervous about the games we "should" win.

On a certain day in June of 2008 I flew into Melbourne for a conference. The first words I overheard when I got into the city were "I don't care who won, as long as they beat Brisbane" :eek:

To add insult to injury, my hotel room was nice and high and overlooked the MCG :(

And the Dees are playing better footy this year.

DemonLord

Senior List
Mar 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Easy win coming up.

Hmm - not even going to go into not paying enough respect to your opposition.

I was more nervous about the Richmond game we just played than the Crows game because we were expected to win - and win easily.

You are expected to win and win easily but in a 2 horse race its never wise to discount one of the horses - even if it is a shetland pony.

DL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 20, 2006
In the Clique.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hmm - not even going to go into not paying enough respect to your opposition.

I was more nervous about the Richmond game we just played than the Crows game because we were expected to win - and win easily.

You are expected to win and win easily but in a 2 horse race its never wise to discount one of the horses - even if it is a shetland pony.

DL

Ignore SB. He is a journalist.

Aug 6, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Can't believe I'm missing this game (cousins 21st). Who the hell schedules there 21st birthday on a football night? >_____> Had our tickets bought and everything. Now we might not even be able to record it because we're currently missing our Foxtel IQ. At least I saw the boys up in Queesland for Round 1 & 2 but our next game in Melbourne is so far away :(.

Gonna be on the phone all bloody night checking the scores for this. The nerves won't go away.

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The danger in games like this one is complacency. That drop of 10percent in tackling, defensive running, disposal efficiency and concentration can ruin a team.

Vossy has already indicated through press conferences his belief in players knowing their role. I said in an another thread that in Lynchy's book and Tadgh Kennelly's book both blokes emphasised that being disciplined and executing their role in the team was their focus every game. I dare say our players each get a clear defined role each week and their ability to play that role determines their selection. The key message here is - Play your roles boys!

I mentioned McKenzie in an earlier post, he is tough and selfless, the type of player who others draw confidence from and are insipired by with his team first approach. He is young and ruthless clubs dismantle these types of young players with a physical and verbal battery. If not McKenzie then we need to target 1 or 2 others and get to them.

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't believe I'm missing this game (cousins 21st). Who the hell schedules there 21st birthday on a football night? >_____> Had our tickets bought and everything. Now we might not even be able to record it because we're currently missing our Foxtel IQ. At least I saw the boys up in Queesland for Round 1 & 2 but our next game in Melbourne is so far away :(.

Gonna be on the phone all bloody night checking the scores for this. The nerves won't go away.

Unless they are immediate family i wouldn't attend (immediate family know better). Plus you aren't looking very well, are you coming down with something?:eek:

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
As long as we don't go into this game "unprepared" [to quote Leigh's immortal words] I'll be happy.

We obviously shouldn't underestimate a team we are widely expected to beat easily. That way leads to lack of attention to detail and not focussing on the job at hand- ie what happened when we last[?] played them in Melbourne.

Hate clashes like this :( Feel guilty if you miss the party, horrible about missing the game and watching/cheering your team.

Had to go to a family wedding last year on the same day as the Essendon game at the Gabba. The groom and I kept wandering off the check the progress of the game on the net. In the end we gave up any pretence, turned on a TV and openly watched the second half of the game :eek:.

There are a few salutory lessons to be gained from the way these two teams have started the year.

1. If a player was once considered capable or better but hasn't played well for a while, chances are that he will return to that level, age and injuries permitting. Case in point: Raines, Rischitelli, Johnstone, James Macdonald, Jones, Maguire....

2. Young players can develop remarkably in a single off-season - take your pick from Melbourne and then add in Rockliff, Banfield and one or two others to boot.

3. Some players just take a long time to develop and clubs shouldn’t give up on them - McGrath, Brennan, Sylvia, Jamar

These lessons are particularly important ones coming into the GCFC, WSFC eras. If a player has underperformed for a period, ask why and then try and fix it. Sometimes it is unfixable (injury obviously or an unremediable attitude problem). But generally speaking, players are on an AFL list for a reason - someone spotted some talent. If you throw in some exposed form, then chances are that the player is capable of performing at AFL level most weeks.

Similarly, don't discard your youth just because they are behind the eight ball early on. By the sounds of it, no-one at the Lions really thought that T. Banfield was going to push for a senior spot. A few months later and he is one of the most exciting prospects in the country. Many times, a player will take a monumental step forward in his development - a "penny drop" moment. I wonder if that happened to James Frawley - this guy isn't getting beaten at the moment, plays tall and small and provides some rebound as well....he has really come on.

Finally, realise that some players just don't come onto the scene as quickly as others. Some guys hold down CHF in premiership sides before they turn 20. Others may spend years on a list before reaching their potential. Jamar is a classic case in point for this. The guy did some OK things in the ruck last year after a few seasons of mediocrity but is now one of the more dominant rucks in the comp (and if guys by the name of Sandilands, Kreuzer and Naitanui weren't running around, would probably be getting a whole lot more press).

This is an interesting games for both sides. Melbourne will be looking to measure themselves again against a true top 8 side, after embarrassing themselves in round 1 and coming very close to the Pies in round 2. A genuinely competitive performance against the Lions, playing the style of footy they have developed, will really give them and their supporters an enormous boost in confidence....if that is coupled with a win, so much the better.

Similarly, the Lions need to demonstrate that they hadn't built themselves for Round 4 being the virtual pinnacle of their season and that the level of intensity they sustained on Saturday night can be replicated back to back, on the road and opposed to a side against whom the Lions will go in favourites. It poses a different challenge for this group.

I think in terms of playing style, Melbourne will ask some questions of the Lions. They rely on industrious, mature bodies like Macdonald, Jones, Moloney to bang in hard to get the ball to the silky users of the footy. As a team, they run the lines very hard, relying on some backline dash. They aren't the most skilled side across the board but that seems to be improving. Sound familiar?

The obvious point of difference between the Lions and the Dees is in the forward set up. Brisbane will play 3 genuine tall players in and around the forward 50. The Dees will have none except when a ruckman pushes forward. But the Lions over the last couple of years haven't coped well with less traditional forward set ups. We've seen them bemused against the Dogs a few times (and I don't believe last weekend answers that query - no Akermanis or Johnson but with Hall changes the Dogs' forward dynamic) and they've struggled to contain Collingwood up forward too. One gets the impression that the Lions defenders, particularly without Adcock doing the organising, are far more comfortable with a static forward set up like Hawthorn than an all-rotating, running forward brigade. That's something for the Dees to take advantage of.

Having said that, if the Lions bring their A-grade game in terms of attack on man and ball, it is difficult to see the Dees coping well over 4 quarters. The Lions are elite in terms of their defensive intensity - right up there with the benchmarks of St Kilda and Geelong, in my opinion. And they are fit enough to maintain the rage over 4 quarters. The Dees aren't so advanced with their execution, in my opinion, that they can maintain their skill and run in the face of this type of pressure. But if the Lions drop that intensity by 10%, I think that there's scope for the Dees to really push the Lions to the line.

One of the key queries each week now is what the Lions will do with Patfull. He's showed adeptness around the ball, winning clearances v Port. He's obviously a very good defender too. With the Melbourne medium forward brigade, it would not surprise to see JPat take someone like Sylvia as he could follow him all around the ground, including forward. He's probably also the best match-up for the dangerous Petterd at full forward, as well as the underrated Bate. It is one of those weeks where 2 or 3 Patfulls would be useful.

I'll be interested to see who goes to Davey. He's worked out the art of having an influence when he is the #1 target for the opposition's taggers. The Dees so clearly look for him at every opportunity that he is difficult to shut down. The Lions may look to cut off his supply rather than trying to limit his influence when he gets the ball. That may mean extra numbers around the contest, rather than a hard, negating tag.

I think this will be an exciting game. If nothing else, Melbourne are learning to throw caution to the wind and do play an attractive brand of footy. They have some very young bodies though and are going to fall into a heap at different stages of the season. Somehow I don’t think that it will be this week. Lions by 5 goals.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
POBT you have nailed it with one exception.

Our goal kicking efficiency has been fair at best all year, we could have got beaten in probably every game thus far because of it. IMO (biased) we have been the better side but butchered scoring chances and at some point it may come back to haunt us.

I love Brown & Fevola and I'm the first to admit Fevola appears to have changed his ways and is doing the team things. I'm still looking for the small forward to chip in with four or five one day, although I acknowledge Banfield has been a revalation and was my early tip to be delisted at the end of the year as part of the 25 questions. Clearly that is not going to happen.

Maybe I'm looking for perfection but I want to see a clinical, ruthless display before I start talking up top 4 and a serious challenge to the Cats/Saints.

Having said that we still have a lot of improvement (as do a number of sides).

Cannot be anything but pleased at 4-0 atm. Would really like to see a thorough belting of the D's this week to stamp ourselves.

Loved the write up POBT.

James Frawley - this guy isn't getting beaten at the moment, plays tall and small and provides some rebound as well....he has really come on.

I'd argue that Jack Riewoldt beat him conclusively on the weekend. But point taken still, he has improved.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I will add one thing which has not been mentioned so far. Melbourne is the only team in the competition that is playing man on man football pretty much the entire game. They started week 1 against Hawthorn playing modern zone football and were woeful. They had no idea what they were doing and so went back to man on man football and they have been doing it well in the three games since. The manning up approach shocked Collingwood and they did not adapt at all well, especially Maxwell and Shaw who suddenly had opponents and were not able to float around like the usually do.

I am sure that the Demons will try the same against the Lions but it should not be a surprise. Like Collingwood the Lions get a lot of run from the back and the Demons will work hard keeping Drummond and Johnstone accountable and shutting them down as soon as they get the ball. With time to work on getting back to traditional football strategies I think the Lions will go okay. The big difference between the Lions and Collingwood is the strength of the Lions forward line. Cloke and Anthony just don’t compare with Brown and Fevola and Frawley and Warnock are going to be hung out to dry if they don’t get support. Frawley had been pretty good so far this year but he was beaten comprehensively by Jack Reiwoldt on the weekend when Reiwoldt had space to work in. That is not a good sign coming into this week when they will be relying on him to match up with Brown or Fevola one out. The Melbourne backmen are solid but only really midpack at best.

The star of the Melbourne season for me to date has been Petterd. Personally I think he has been the best small forward in the competition so far this season. He is strong in the contest both overhead and below the knees and he is working really hard both ways. The Lions will have to watch him and McGrath or Patfull are certainties for the job. I worry a little with McGrath overhead against Petterd but I would give him first crack. Patfull I agree would be a good match up for Sylvia. He can go with Sylvia both in the midfield and up forward and could keep him quiet. I have been a bit disappointed with Bate so far this year. I was expecting him to take a step up into the Steve Johnson category of mobile forwards but it has been just more of the same from him. Drummond is probably most likely there but Maguire might get the job. Guys like Green and Bennell will also be floating around up forward forcing the Lions to do a job on them and watch them coming out of defense.

At the other end Melbourne rely a fair bit on Davey and Grimes to set up their play and the Lions will be keen to shut these two down quickly once they get the ball. Grimes has been playing more defensively than last year but still gets open and is used a lot. He is a smart football but is not the quickest player going around so he can be run down or at least pressured from behind. Davey playes a lot like Johnstone has this year as a HFFer who can get up the field. He is used at every opportunity by the Demons and his pin point kicking set him apart from his teammates. He could get a forward tag from the likes of Selwood if he retains his spot. Alternatively Banfield might be told to make sure he is not far away from him. Joel Mac is playing the same role he played at the Lions. Solid player but the Lions will know that he is prone to turn it over if you pressure him.

In the midfield the Lions should have a significant advantage despite what the Melb supporters might think. Jamar has been very good but he has played an out of form Jolly and the three worst ruck divisions in the competition in his first four games. Clark and Leuenberger will be a different proposition. I am not saying the Lions have a big advantage here but I will be disappointed if we don’t at least split the ruck contest. In the small dept the Melb midfield consists of veteran journeymen and youngsters. Macdonald had been playing better than the last couple of years but he is not a dominating player. Maloney and Jones are doing their jobs but neither would find a place in a top four midfield.

The two most impressive youngsters for Melb have not been Scully and Trengove but rather Mackenzie and Bail. Mackenzie is a tallish midfield utility much like Brennan without the flair. He is a capable ball winner and a big tackler. I think he averaged 11 tackles a game for the first two and still leads the competition in tackles. Bail has excellent pace and has been getting to good spots to receive especially in the forward half. Scully and Trengove have been a little disappointing. Scully in particular has been very scratchy turning over a lot of ball with poor skills. Both can find the ball but what they are doing with it is below what I and many others expected. They will improve no doubt but they are closer to being dropped than dominating at the moment.

If the Lions play like they did against the Bulldogs they should win and win well but if they take the Demons too easily then they could be in for a rude shock. Despite being 4-0 the Lions are not a good enough side to take anyone except Richmond easily.

Looking at the two teams, its hard to see how Melbourne are going to win enough of the ball to really hurt us. Jamar's going to have to play out of his skin, I reckon.

I just don't think Melbourne have enough big bodied midfielders, to be honest. Plus I can't see their young forwardline stopping Drummond, McGrath, Johnstone and Patfull from driving us through the backline.

This all points to Brown and Fevola getting plenty of supply. Even if Frawley and Warnock are at the top of their games there's not much they can do if Rich, Brennan and Drummond can find the space to pinpoint their passes.

The Demons will come out firing and will probably run us close for a while, but as soon as their intensity fades I think we have the players to hurt them.

Forecast for Saturday:

Partly cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds west to southwesterly averaging up to 50 km/h tending west to northwesterly 20 to 35 km/h during the afternoon.

Ick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back