Game Day AFL Round 6 - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Essendon(MCG– 3:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s time for the annual ANZAC Day clash between the Magpies and the Bombers. In what is year in and year out the biggest home and away game in the AFL fixture, this game will show where both teams are well and truly at. Many were suspect of the Magpies earlier in the season after struggling to beat the Bulldogs, and struggling against the Eagles. However, those critics were momentarily silenced, as Collingwood flexed their muscle against a disappointing Brisbane team. For the Bombers, it appears that their season is back on track, with three successive wins.

This game shares a number of similarities with last year’s ANZAC Day game, with the match being a tough pick, with many declaring the match as a “pick-em” matchup. Last season, Collingwood would run out comfortable winners. While the Bombers went into a downward spiral for a large chunk of the season, costing them a finals spot.

Collingwood

It’s been difficult to gauge where the Magpies sit in the 2019 season, but with a strong win against a very good Brisbane side on the road has shown that this Collingwood team is one of the top teams in the competition, for now at least. It was a team effort for the Magpie team, with no general standout performance, which will please Nathan Buckley. Brodie Mihocek continued his fine form, while Treloar and Crisp were also important for the Magpies. Collingwood’s forward arsenal will be severely weakened this week however, with Elliott out with a corked thigh. While James Aish will also miss with concussion.

The man to watch for the Magpies is Will Hoskin-Elliott. A staple player in Collingwood’s best team since he joined the Magpies in 2017, Hoskin-Elliott has been a key omission for the Magpies side to begin the season, with the forward suffering injury setbacks. The inclusion of Hoskin-Elliott has come as a surprise to many, with most expecting him to have at least one game in the VFL. However, he’s back, and should be able to take some pressure off Mason Cox in the forward line.

Essendon

Coming into 2019, many Bombers fans, and some experts touted Essendon as one of the teams to beat. With the addition of Shiel, most expected the Bombers to be able to at least win a final, something they haven’t been able to do in 5,345 days. The season couldn’t have gotten off to a worse start for Essendon, with the team being pulverized by a seasoned GWS side, and a tight loss to the Saints. However, a gritty win over Melbourne has seemingly turned Essendon’s season around. Dylan Shiel has been outstanding for the Bombers, really performing a leading role in the midfield. After the first two rounds, many were concerned that the Bombers couldn’t score enough to be a contender. However, in their past three games, the Bombers have upped the scoring significantly averaging 18 goals in their past three games.

Joe Daniher is the man to watch for the Bombers. This time last year, Daniher had a nightmare performance against Collingwood, with the forward having virtually no impact on the game. Shortly after the game Daniher would suffer an injury, which would cause him to miss the rest of 2018. Daniher was a controversial late inclusion in the Bombers team last week in his first game, but had a strong impact on the game. At his best, Daniher has the ability to be one of the best forwards in the game, and will need to have a much bigger impact than last ANZAC Day if his team is to win.

Congratulations to Mason Cox – 50 Game Milestone

The 6’10 man from Texas came to Australia knowing virtually nothing about Australian football, but over time has become a key staple in the Collingwood forward line. It seems a lifetime ago, when Cox made his debut in ANZAC Day, kicking a goal with his first kick. Over the next few seasons, he had his fair share of criticisms, with many thinking he just simply was not going to make it. However, all his hard work and dedication paid off in the famous 2018 preliminary final, where in the first half, Cox would mark everything, and kick three critical goals, leading Collingwood to the Grand Final.

Head to Head odds

Collingwood: $1.60
Essendon: $2.25

Changes

Essendon

IN
Devon Smith, David Zaharakis

OUT
Brayden Ham (Omitted), Darcy Parish (Omitted)

Collingwood

IN
Will Hoskin-Elliott, Levi Greenwood

OUT
Jamie Elliott (Injured), James Aish (Injured)

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free
Live on Channel 7

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL
Kayo Sports

Tip
Like last week, this game is quite difficult to tip. Expect the Bombers to put up a better effort than the Lions, but Collingwood will be too strong in the end.

Magpies by 10.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Essendon are a dangerous prospect here. They seem to have timed it to have their complete team ready for this particular game. Even Danniher is in FFS.... We will struggle with height re their tall overhead marking forwards.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Essendon are a dangerous prospect here. They seem to have timed it to have their complete team ready for this particular game. Even Danniher is in FFS.... We will struggle with height re their tall overhead marking forwards.

I'm not so worried. With Roughead and Moore we have height and the ability to shift match ups if one isn't working. I wonder if we use Roughead on Daniher? I'd be inclined to go Moore.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bombers by 11 with Tipungwuti wining the medal. Just can’t see how we match their pace.
We can’t miss now.

The reverse psychology can’t miss.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Why? We have Moore and Roughy to cover their talls. Howe and Langdon have both done a good job playing on talls.

MightyPage025

Debutant
Aug 20, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Essendon last 3 wins against North (58 pts), Brisbane (62 pts), Melbourne (18 pts).

I’m not worried at all. They won’t score like they have the past 3 weeks. Our midfield will dominate tomorrow.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Essendon last 3 wins against North (58 pts), Brisbane (62 pts), Melbourne (18 pts).

I’m not worried at all. They won’t score like they have the past 3 weeks. Our midfield will dominate tomorrow.

I just actually thought of this same thing you have hinted on. Their 3 wins have all been against very very bad opposition.... the teams sitting in 17 and 18 and Brisbane (and Wow Melbourne were horrendous tonight), who have improved but are still not a very good side. I think I am seeing them as a tad more powerful than what they actually are.

But still... they have got all their big cards on deck here. I still see it as a massive danger game. They are a very different team to ours, and whilst we outmatch them in some areas, they outmatch us in others. I believe our midfield is better, but they have more capable backs and forwards in terms of control - Hurley and Hooker have the potential to deflect us all day and keep us to a low score, meaning they may not need to score much to actually win. I just see someone like Danniher or Stringer kicking 6 goals out of nowhere, and taking us to the cleaners.

Couldn't resist, had to buy it...
IMG_1684.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not so worried. With Roughead and Moore we have height and the ability to shift match ups if one isn't working. I wonder if we use Roughead on Daniher? I'd be inclined to go Moore.
It depends if you want a stopper rather than a playmaker on Daniher. I'd like to see Moore given the responsibility to take him. Roughead is better against players of lesser ability.

Maybe this time last year, but we now have two 200cm key defenders.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Suddenly Essendon seems a force to be taken seriously and their forward height will pose a challenge. We need a good game out of Cox who has probably been a bit down on form and hope that De Goey if played predominantly forward gets the better of Hurley. Surely Grundy and our midfield can assert their dominance at clearances and out wide and set this one up for us.

Bombers by 11 with Tipungwuti wining the medal. Just can’t see how we match their pace.

Consistent midfield run comes from outnumbering and running as a cohesive unit, it doesn't come from a couple of flashy outsiders. We'll smash them in that area. The big pace question is how are their backs going to cope with our forwards? Short answer - they aren't. Big win coming up. Go Pies.

Suddenly Essendon seems a force to be taken seriously and their forward height will pose a challenge. We need a good game out of Cox who has probably been a bit down on form and hope that De Goey if played predominantly forward gets the better of Hurley. Surely Grundy and our midfield can assert their dominance at clearances and out wide and set this one up for us.

Stop reading their press. Regardless of how crap they are, at this stage of the year they're always talked up as force to be taken seriously. We'll tear them to shreds.

Sep 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bombers have had three games against probably the three worst defensive sides. Games in which they were easily able to walk the ball out of their backline which gave them lots of opportunities going through the middle of the ground.

They wont be getting that tomorrow, no chance they can just stroll out of our forwardline.

Pies by 30+

I agree. And that's a problem because Roughead doesn't really have any other match up. Brown works hard up the ground so I don't see him getting that job.
What's the story with McKernan? That's one of the reasons that I'm not a big fan of Roughy in the team. Unless a team plays a second ruck up forward, I think finding a match up is going to be a bit of an ongoing issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back