Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It begins early :D

Nice try Chris, but Geelong will walk in as clear favourites and deservedly so.
Also if Stanton doesn't come up, we're screwed.
Because you will have nobody to boo?....

But Essendon at Etihad should just about start favourite, even though we are something like 8 from the last 10 against you guys.

An interesting piece of history heading into Friday night. Also posted this over on the Essendon board:

In 2009, Geelong and St Kilda were both undefeated heading into their Round 14 match. Both played off in the Grand Final that year.

In 2011, Geelong and Collingwood were both undefeated heading into their Round 8 match. Both played off in the Grand Final that year.

In 2013, Geelong and Essendon are both undefeated heading into their Round 7 match. Could it be????

An interesting piece of history heading into Friday night. Also posted this over on the Essendon board:

In 2009, Geelong and St Kilda were both undefeated heading into their Round 14 match. Both played off in the Grand Final that year.

In 2011, Geelong and Collingwood were both undefeated heading into their Round 8 match. Both played off in the Grand Final that year.

In 2013, Geelong and Essendon are both undefeated heading into their Round 7 match. Could it be????
I hope so ! But sadly I'm a realistic essendon supporter and I know things won't go right for us this year.
Because you will have nobody to boo?....

But Essendon at Etihad should just about start favourite, even though we are something like 8 from the last 10 against you guys.

Harsh man..

1 change this week. Out - Murdoch. In - Chapman
As for Vardy. Needs more time in the VFL and games under his belt. 1 good game doesn't warranty automatic selection. Keep him there for another 3 or 4 weeks. All things going well, bring him back for maybe GC/GWS games. Get him in against s**t opposition, gets his confidence up and ease him in. Obvious person who goes out for him is Blicavs. As much as I like Blicavs, he is a work in progress. there's more potential in Vardy IMO. As for the game this Friday night. Can't wait, we r primed, and absolutely flying at the minute. Ignore essendon's result against GWS, they didn't even turn up. 4 points is all that matters. We did the same against the dogs. They will b ready to go on Friday night, even so, it won't b enough. We're just too strong at the moment. Stanton out really hurts them. Cats by 21 points for mine.
I'm also interested on wat everyone thinks of Guthrie. This might sound harsh, but I believe he is the weak link of our side. For a young guy, he just looks so sluggish. i dont really rate him tbh. I s**t myself whenever he is 1 on 1 against someone in the goal square. Can't wait til Josh Hunt comes back.

Ordinarily you wouldn't want to make so many changes but in light of yesterday's performance I think it's needed. Second stringers weren't up to it, against mediocre opposition.

I was confident we would go well against you guys but after yesterday I can see us being put back in our place, in a big way.

Is it possible the Bombers played in a kind of self-preservation mode yesterday, lesser team and big game Rd7, under-estimated Giant Bogans, as Cats have done if for lesser games too?

I don't know at what stage of the game Horlin-Smith went on to Kennedy, but Corey certainly took Kennedy for at least the whole of the 1st 1/4. It may be a case of similarly sharing the load around with Watson.
Excellent idea Fred

Should do it fairly easily. The bummers haven't show much this year.

Catters by 57 points.
Hmmm, Bombers are undefeated like us, and they've had a huge scandal to deal with, I think that takes pure guts, they're standing tall IMO

I've told this story before in the "So why are you a Cats fan?" thread, which probably deserves to be bumped for newer members, as it makes excellent reading http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/so-why-are-you-a-cats-fan.636143/

But when my father first moved to Aus 50 years ago as a teacher at Eltham high school, he became a Collingwood supporter because he lived on the Hurstbridge line, and there was no other choice as far as everyone who lived in the area was concerned. Luckily a few years later, after he had married my mum, he got a job at Belmont high, so they moved to Geelong, and the whole family converted to being Cats fans, which we have been ever since. It's like one of those sliding doors moments, I can't imagine my life if I didn't barrack for Geelong :)

Ironically I now live on the Hurstbridge line, but find the footy crowds on the train to Jolimont very civilised, even when we're playing the Pies, so the old feral tribalism has definitely been watered down now.
Great story MacCat

man! Speaking of Gazza, I'm about to get his final ever game in the VFL against Richmond way back in 1997.
It's not the full game though but apparently he kicked 7.7 in only 3 quarters of footy and never played again.
Ablett Sr :hearts: my all time favourite Cat! Still don't understand why he retired, although heard it was because Ayres insisted he train more and Ablett Sr CBF and was off ???
Living in Sydney I didn't get to see him play live often, but the day he kicked 14 at the SCG, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Should be a terrific game to watch Footscore.

Essendon aren't Geelong. We can't afford to flirt with our form.
lol SirJimi05 - In the past I've regarded* the Cats going easy in lesser games as complacency, preferring to shine in blockbuster games - or perhaps I should say confused*, but the Cats on our Board are teaching me about preserving players for the tougher games - the big picture ;) I think your selling your Bombers short sweetie ;) Best of luck to your team, SirJimi05 - an exciting game awaits us :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Murda
In: Chappy.
Would be MASSIVELY shocked if Vardy came in. This is one game and he is big picture. No disrespect to the Dons but whilst we will want to win this CS will not sacrifice the big picture for this W. Especially at 6-0. I would see another Mid come in before him. Eardley would be great but he is still getting better and the VFL to AFL jump might get him.

Would expect Poodle to Watson and he should get him going the other way. Watson is a machine but Poodle has speed and could use it to push away.
Cant give Watson an inch however. Hypen will get a Hocking, Zaha type and hopefully clamp them. If Watson is too strong then Smithy for the run with. Could even see Smithy at the bounce then roll Poodle to travel with is his size is an issue.

Whatever happens - should be a ball tearer.

MRP watch will be interesting too as you know they will want to effect this one.... especially is Stanton is a question mark...

Go Catters

Surely Vardy wont come into consideration.
He played as a forward & we dont need another tall forward at this point - Hawkins & Pods are working fine together, even though they only kicked 2 goals between them sat night they are still drawing the good defenders & allowing the smaller guys to bob up and slot easier goals!

Hopefully Stanton plays too, if we win I dont want any excuses as to why we won! :D

Bombers are favourites because the evidence suggests they should be. They are top of the ladder.
They are a galvanized group of talented talls and fast big bodied gut runners.

Essendon rank
1st Goals
4th Hit Outs
4th Tackles

Geelong
3rd Goals
13th Hit Outs
14th Tackles

Different game plans and opposition played are a point of difference. What has changed is the amount of defensive pressure from the Bombers that has been lacking in previous years.

We need to play decisive, hard attacking, brutal contested football to get the win.

Some key match ups to watch for:

Crameri vs Enright
Dangerous forward who benefits from having goal kicking ruckmen in his team. Gumbleton will get one of our tall posts in HT or Lonners, while the other will be trying to keep Bellchambers and Hille accountable.

Howlett vs Kelly
The two best tacklers in the game. While not direct opponents, these two are vital to shutting down each others midfield.

Davey and Jetta vs Bundy and Mots
All creative around the goals, very quick and provide a number of pressure acts every game. Bundy should continue his good form. I wish Mots was just that bit stronger in the body.

Will add more later......

Surely Vardy wont come into consideration.
He played as a forward & we dont need another tall forward at this point - Hawkins & Pods are working fine together, even though they only kicked 2 goals between them sat night they are still drawing the good defenders & allowing the smaller guys to bob up and slot easier goals!

Pods has been playing up the ground a fair bit and Hawk is looking big but not as agile. Essendon are tall and Vardy would be in consideration because he may just match up well.

West is finding form and Blitz is still a unique selection.

We need to pick the best talls we have. I have faitth in the MC but it would be hard holding players like Vards back.

Pods has been playing up the ground a fair bit and Hawk is looking big but not as agile. Essendon are tall and Vardy would be in consideration because he may just match up well.

West is finding form and Blitz is still a unique selection.

We need to pick the best talls we have. I have faitth in the MC but it would be hard holding players like Vards back.

The issue I have with bringing him back though us that even though he booted a few goals he will still be underdone. And the intensity of Fridays game will be quadruple that of the game he just played on the weekend.
IMO he is more essential to our prospects later in the year than a round 7 game, so if there was even .00001 % doubt on him surely they wouldn't play him.

Surely he would be sore from the weekends game too.

As you said, west is looking good again & Blitz was pretty impressive on Saturday.
I'd much rather see vardy come in to rest one of those guys in a few weeks.

Having said that, in the match committee we trust ;)

That's all we can really do. Vardy has said how he will have to be managed throughout his career.

Late changes, injury and recovery times and current health of players is some of those areas you just have to take at face value.

Ryder is back for Hille who has been serviceable. Jetta played his first game of the year on the weekend and was poor and we have 6 changes to make.

Did you play all of Ryder, Bellchambers and Hille once or twice last year?

What other changes are you expecting from your team against GWS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back