Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott also said the same thing last week.

When it comes to coaches / football managers and players availability, I usually wait until game day to see what actually happens.

Chris Scott has been consistent though.

If the medical staff said Vardy is 95%, he comes into consideration IMO.

When it comes to coaches / football managers and players availability, I usually wait until game day to see what actually happens.

Chris Scott has been consistent though.

If the medical staff said Vardy is 95%, he comes into consideration IMO.

I would hope (and, indeed, assume) that the medical staff said he was 100% a fortnight ago, before he played 2nds.
The issue now is how match fit he is according to the fitness staff. It is difficult to see how he could yet be anywhere near 100% match fit, after virtually no pre-season, 2 partial 2nds games and very little play last season, but that is up to them.
And, of course, given he will be playing as a forward and won't be playing ruck (per CS), there is not even any urgency to promote him at the moment.

Essendon's talls will be a real test for us here.

Bellchambers (35 hitouts and 3 goals last meeting) and Ryder will flog us in the ruck contest. We need to find a way to limit the damage this causes to clearances. Then we have Carlisle on an out of sorts Hawk, Hooker on Pods (25 goals since this time last year), Lonergan (who has been shaky) on Crameri and Taylor on Hurley.

Out of six key contests I have Essendon 5-1 there.

I'll be the glass half empty guy here and say I think Essendon could open us up and win by 24+.

Did you play all of Ryder, Bellchambers and Hille once or twice last year?

What other changes are you expecting from your team against GWS?

We did, though there's a reason we only did it once or twice. Hille will make way.

Hurley, Carlisle, Heppell, Fletcher and Winderlich should join Ryder back in the team this week.

Am I the only person annoyed that the Docklands stadium is still referred to by many as Telstra Dome, or just the Dome. Aside from the fact how long Etihad has been sponsoring it, even when Telstra had the rights the name was idiotic. It ISN'T a dome, in any way. It has a flat roof. The Astrodome in Houston Texas, THAT's a dome.
Yes, this is a "Monday morning at my desk, and don't feel like doing work" rant. :p

There is no way Vardy will be rushed back.
6-0 means whilst not wanting to lose this game, you don't need to take risks.
6-1 or evn 6-2 going into our "soft" month would still put us in prime position for a Top 4 spot which is our primary consideration at this point of the season.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hawkins rested again. He was clearly struggling on Saturday although delivery was not great in the first half and Richmond played him well. Perhaps Kersten could come in for him if rested? Could be a strong forward option, although Mitch Brown would give more flexibility.
Hard to see Murdoch taking his spot so hopefully Chappy comes in for him.
Schroeder must be due a game very soon on VFL form.

Am I the only person annoyed that the Docklands stadium is still referred to by many as Telstra Dome, or just the Dome. Aside from the fact how long Etihad has been sponsoring it, even when Telstra had the rights the name was idiotic. It ISN'T a dome, in any way. It has a flat roof. The Astrodome in Houston Texas, THAT's a dome.
Yes, this is a "Monday morning at my desk, and don't feel like doing work" rant. :p

An acquaintance of mine is called Chrome Dome, even though he has a flat head.

After the severity of his operation, I thought the doctors said his hip will never be 100%.

It is also a myth that coaches only play 100% match fit players. Did you see the sub for West Coast?

There is certainly no urgency to play him. Essendon are a very tall team in all areas of the ground and Vardy is a tall. It makes sense that come thursday lunchtime that is when the assessment is made.

Hawkins looks to be struggling as mentioned. Kersten and Brown have to put their hand up this week.

Did you play all of Ryder, Bellchambers and Hille once or twice last year?

What other changes are you expecting from your team against GWS?

Yeah I think we did but Hille is obviously third in line now and doesn't provide as much up forward as he used to.

The consensus seems to be
In- Ryder, Hurley, Carlisle, Heppell, Fletcher, Winderlich
Out- Stanton (inj), Hille, Jetta, Pears, Hardingham and one of Gumbleton or Merrett

But you never know what the coaches might do.

Yeah I think we did but Hille is obviously third in line now and doesn't provide as much up forward as he used to.

The consensus seems to be
In- Ryder, Hurley, Carlisle, Heppell, Fletcher, Winderlich
Out- Stanton (inj), Hille, Jetta, Pears, Hardingham and one of Gumbleton or Merrett

But you never know what the coaches might do.

Well there is 4m of reach right there.

Great to see Winderlich back from injury. He looked to test it fairly well against the pies.

Is Jetta out of flavour? I know it was his first game back, but surely another game to find form is warranted?

Gumby would be stiff to miss.

An acquaintance of mine is called Chrome Dome, even though he has a flat head.

Really? The man has a flat skull? Surely that's some sort of biological discovery?

Back on topic, it amazes me how much guys like Bellchambers have injected (no pun here folks) excitement into the Bombers mid-field. You just hear his name so much during a call.

Well there is 4m of reach right there.

Great to see Winderlich back from injury. He looked to test it fairly well against the pies.

Is Jetta out of flavour? I know it was his first game back, but surely another game to find form is warranted?

Gumby would be stiff to miss.

Most weeks I would agree that he deserved another week in the ones but with 6 genuine best 22 players to come back their are always going to be unlucky players.

Gumby would be even more unlucky than Jetta but would a forwardline of Gumby, Hurley, resting ruck and Crameri be too tall?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm also interested on wat everyone thinks of Guthrie. This might sound harsh, but I believe he is the weak link of our side. For a young guy, he just looks so sluggish. i dont really rate him tbh. I s**t myself whenever he is 1 on 1 against someone in the goal square. Can't wait til Josh Hunt comes back.

Have to disagree with you there, Guthrie has been fine. 14 disposals last week and 15 against the Dogs suggests he's doing his job. Has demonstrated this season that he's a smart footballer with poise, composure, skills, fluency, and very good disposal, just the sort of player we need in our D50. If all that isn't effective one out against opposition defenders then what is?

I suspect it could be another couple of weeks before we see Hunt back so in that time Guthrie will be made to fill his role. I've seen nothing so far that suggests he is unable to do that.

Knights said Vardy was a few weeks away still. Certainly there would be a temptation to rush him back but sure as hell glad they aren't.

Agreed. He's far too valuable. Vardy needs at least another couple of weeks. If he can maintain form and fitness he would be absolutely ideal to bring in against Gold Coast or GWS. Long way to go yet though.

[quote="witsend, post: 28106139, member: 69904"
Schroeder must be due a game very soon on VFL form.[/quote]

Is there VFL stats on disposal effeciency available?

That was his main area to improve on over the pre season.

Agreed. He's far too valuable. Vardy needs at least another couple of weeks. If he can maintain form and fitness he would be absolutely ideal to bring in against Gold Coast or GWS. Long way to go yet though.

Hang on, hang on, when did he suddenly become "valuable", let alone "too valuable"?
Is this a different Vardy to the one you've been saying all along has never done anything?:rolleyes:

Hang on, hang on, when did he suddenly become "valuable", let alone "too valuable"?
Is this a different Vardy to the one you've been saying all along has never done anything?:rolleyes:

At senior level, he has barely done anything of note. Check the stats if you don't believe me. Doesn't mean he doesn't have promise or talent or potential, which I absolutely believe he does have.

Where I get annoyed is when fans state that he's a better forward than Brown or a better ruckman than West right now, when he is neither. He very well may be in the future. A key forward combination of Hawkins and Vardy may become an extremely difficult combination to counter.

I don't think any fan has doubted his ability, but the club has to manage him for (hopefully) the next 10 years, not this Friday night. So at least another couple of VFL games would be the most intelligent option you would think.

Anyone know why we are about the only AFL club website to not have an Injury list?

Re: the conversation about Vardy
Clearly a full game in the AFL would be a big ask. Not impossible.
It his highly unlikely he will be selected but it can happen. Is Tom Hawkins carrying an injury? What if we lose another tall during the week?

The current health of all players remains a mystery to those on the outside. We are all just speculating.

I WANT OUR BIG MEN HEALTHY!! dammit

Pods and HT are the fittest we have.
Lonners had his best game this year on Sat.
Blitz is a trier.
West comes up against Ryder and Bellchambers
Hawk is out of sorts at the moment.

The sooner we get our 194cm + players back the better. Can anyone really blame us for being a tad impatient.

Heard this morning that selwood and newman monent will b looked at. If Selwood gets cited for wrestling today, I am going to break sh%t. The guy was in a headlock FFS. What was he supposed to do? Just let Newman suffocate him to death ?

There is no way Vardy will be rushed back.
6-0 means whilst not wanting to lose this game, you don't need to take risks.
6-1 or evn 6-2 going into our "soft" month would still put us in prime position for a Top 4 spot which is our primary consideration at this point of the season.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hawkins rested again. He was clearly struggling on Saturday although delivery was not great in the first half and Richmond played him well. Perhaps Kersten could come in for him if rested? Could be a strong forward option, although Mitch Brown would give more flexibility.
Hard to see Murdoch taking his spot so hopefully Chappy comes in for him.
Schroeder must be due a game very soon on VFL form.

This exactly witsend Vardy has been called a 10 year player and they are not gonna risk his future for 1 game. Just wont happen. He will play when he is ready and his match fitness is not there yet after 60% and 80% game times in 2 VFL games.

As for Hawk, he got better and seemed to be moving more freely in the 2nd half. If he is hurt - then he does not play. Im not sure Kersten is match fit either ( nor Burbs even after his 6 goal run) but you could role the dice with Brown forward or plan to swing HT around more and bring another defender / mid. Schredder has been on fore for 6 weeks and is pressing claims.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back