AFL Round 7 - Non-MFC Games Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking back to Sunday 8th of June 1997. As a 10 year old I saw Melbourne kick 5.15 to lose to Adelaide by 52 points. The lowest of lows in my short time as a dees supporter. How depressing 5 goals in a whole game. Fast forward to today and that score would have won two games this round. Infact it even beats the victorious tigers. The AFL have hit a new low. I know it's shorter quarters but to be honest I think the shorter quarters just shorten the boredom.

Spot on, I remember the days I'd actually enjoy sitting down and watching a heap of other teams play footy. Now I pick and choose, barely have any interest in the game outside my own club whatsoever.

It's like I tried to watch Brisbane and Geelong the other night, turned it off one Geelong got a 4 goal lead in the second half, it's almost like it's too big a margin to peg back now in a half of footy.

Since about 2007 my interest in the AFL has gotten less and less every year.

It's funny, the NFL used to be a low scoring grind, now it's high scoring and free flowing, if you can't score points you can't win anymore. It actually makes the defensive games a point of difference and great to watch, coz they don't happen all that often. Meanwhile the AFL is the complete opposite.

Spot on, I remember the days I'd actually enjoy sitting down and watching a heap of other teams play footy. Now I pick and choose, barely have any interest in the game outside my own club whatsoever.

It's like I tried to watch Brisbane and Geelong the other night, turned it off one Geelong got a 4 goal lead in the second half, it's almost like it's too big a margin to peg back now in a half of footy.

Since about 2007 my interest in the AFL has gotten less and less every year.
The ONLY reason I show any interest whatsoever in the AFL anymore is the hope that we one day win a flag. If we'd have won a flag while I've been alive, I would show zero interest in the game. It's like a game of long distance runners trying to play football. It's over officiated, over umpired, over coached. The commentary and journalism around the game is embarrassing. There just aren't as many superstars worth watching anymore. There used to be 3 or 4 in each team. Now there are maybe 2 or 3 players in the comp I'd stop to watch. No more politically incorrect footy show that made the game fun, you can't swear at the football without fear of getting kicked out. Beers cost a bomb, every week we have some agenda shoved down our throats. Scoring at an all time low. I've slowly but surely been watching more and more Storm games to the point I now watch more League than AFL. Maybe if we have sustained consistency in playing well I'll show more interest, but for now I barely watch half a game every week.

My fondest memories was when I would go to the footy as an 18-20 years old 04-06 period and boy could you hit the piss and have fun. Not that it was required because the games were usually entertaining. I just rember being on $300 a week and wouldn't hesitate buying a few rounds. As for entertainment I remember going to that round one game against the hawks in 02 we were 54 points up at half time or early in the third and the hawks kicked the next 9 and lead by a goal by 3/4 time obviously bad for us Melbourne supporters but if your a neutral it would have been riveting. As much as I hate the cats now boy they were great to watch in their heyday playing straight through the 'geelong highway' with such skill. The dees sucked so may as well be entertained by the best. That 07 grand final wasn't so much port playing poorly it was more Geelong playing perfect football. Bomber Thompson didn't even need to coach that team they would coach themselves.

Have had a couple of small investments on the Saints and Dogs to win the flag.

The Saints best footy is really good. I do ponder how we'd look with Ratten coaching us. The bloke did such an underrated job at Carlton given the list was basically 3 guns and a bunch of duds. Had no right getting them to the finals.
From last round's thread but funny how quickly things change. Saints completely stopped after the first while the Dogs were never in it against more or less the same Carlton side we (barely) beat.
Obviously only one week, but showed how fickle form is this year.

From last round's thread but funny how quickly things change. Saints completely stopped after the first while the Dogs were never in it against more or less the same Carlton side we (barely) beat.
Obviously only one week, but showed how fickle form is this year.

Strange year. Form seems very temporary.

Anyone except probably us Freo Adelaide Sydney North can win the flag this year.
I'd add Gold Coast, Carlton and Hawthorn to the can't win it list.

I can still see Richmond, WCE and Collingwood being at the pointy end of the season. They simply have too much talent on their lists to not be there. Maybe GWS, but I feel their coach is as bad as ours. Port Adelaide are a smoky, some young and exciting talent mixed in with some older talent, but seem to fall apart when truly tested. Brisbane are a great side, but this could be a year or two early for them unless they get lucky and have most of their games up there including finals. Cats with a shortened season could be a chance. Saints and Dogs are wild cards. I don't see Essendon as a real threat, but they are playing good footy atm, so would be a chance for finals, but can't see them beating 3 or 4 of the best teams in a row during finals.

Tom Morris has got to be the worst of the current crop of journalists covering the game. It felt like this guy didn't even exist until two years ago. Now he's being an insufferable twat on half of the fox footy shows.

Tonight On The Couch he comes up with this scoop: "Coniglio MIGHT be under the pump next week IF he doesn't perform AND the Giants lose, in which case he's a CHANCE to be dropped next week or the week after."

Mate, if you don't have a story just sit the week out.

Tom Morris has got to be the worst of the current crop of journalists covering the game. It felt like this guy didn't even exist until two years ago. Now he's being an insufferable twat on half of the fox footy shows.

Tonight On The Couch he comes up with this scoop: "Coniglio MIGHT be under the pump next week IF he doesn't perform AND the Giants lose, in which case he's a CHANCE to be dropped next week or the week after."

Surely there's another s**t haircut/players on tiktok in lockdown piece to be written, because we haven't had enough of those yet!!!!!;!!

An opinion based scoop, what a newshound he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't Tom Morris barrack for the Dees? He's the one who Hogan called a leech isn't he?
Yeah. He worked on a podcast for the club but got sacked after leaking info from the club regarding tensions between Goodwin and McCartney from memory.

I love open Mike and listening to some of the stories from former greats, just watching Ian Stewart now, god he was a bit of a wreck, amazed he became the footballer he was especially back in those days.

Bloke was terrified of opponents, massive anxiety and nervousness, well worth a watch.

I love open Mike and listening to some of the stories from former greats, just watching Ian Stewart now, god he was a bit of a wreck, amazed he became the footballer he was especially back in those days.

Bloke was terrified of opponents, massive anxiety and nervousness, well worth a watch.
Yah all the blokes had way more interesting stories back in the day. Imagine the interviews with current players.

"I got drafted, went training every day didn't drink much and never got suspended"
"Played 170 games, no personal highlights but I tackled a bunch and played my role"
"Was an ambassador for beyond blue, LGBTQ, gay marriage, women's equality, indigenous affairs and 43 other causes"
"Who's Ian Stewart? My hero is LeBron James"
"Racked up 7,000,000 hours of Fortnite"

Every single modern player.

Yah all the blokes had way more interesting stories back in the day. Imagine the interviews with current players.

"I got drafted, went training every day didn't drink much and never got suspended"
"Played 170 games, no personal highlights but I tackled a bunch and played my role"
"Was an ambassador for beyond blue, LGBTQ, gay marriage, women's equality, indigenous affairs and 43 other causes"

Ian Stewart and another bloke would hand water Moorabbin with a hose each while drinking cans under darkness on a Friday night if the Saints selected a slow midfield.

I mean what a ******* legend. 😂

Ian Stewart and another bloke would hand water Moorabbin with a hose each while drinking cans under darkness on a Friday night if the Saints selected a slow midfield.

I mean what a ******* legend. 😂
Remember listening to spud talk about that. They'd wet up moorabin to bring teams down to their level and then let loose the animal cage on them. * footy has gone to s**t 😔

Remember listening to spud talk about that. They'd wet up moorabin to bring teams down to their level and then let loose the animal cage on them. fu** footy has gone to sh*t 😔

The way It should be with home ground advantages. 👍

Dude there’s literally been so many super interesting stories with players like Ryan Griffen, Tom Boyd, Adam Goodes, Harley Bennell, Dan Menzel. The only reason you haven’t heard a lot of other stories is that they’re still playing.

Remember listening to spud talk about that. They'd wet up moorabin to bring teams down to their level and then let loose the animal cage on them. fu** footy has gone to sh*t 😔
That sounds really s**t to be honest. Slog fest. My friends dad died last year and they spoke at his wake about their days at the Animal Cage - sounds fun for supporters but hardly conducive to good footy. As the dreadful Saints teams of those days can attest.

Dude there’s literally been so many super interesting stories with players like Ryan Griffen, Tom Boyd, Adam Goodes, Harley Bennell, Dan Menzel. The only reason you haven’t heard a lot of other stories is that they’re still playing.
Yeah nah. We probably have a different view of interesting

Yeah nah. We probably have a different view of interesting
Your sound a bit more along the line of repressed trauma. Spud fetishising the good old days isn’t quite so fun when you remember how it ended for him :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back