Preview AFL Round 8 - Collingwood v Geelong, MCG, 7:40PM Saturday 18 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am not working Saturday morning I might make the trip to Victoria Park and may a day of it before going to the G.

I haven't been to Vic Park since the early 80's.

or they may up Cadds if they want to exploit the Collingwood slow as treacle factor.

That's tongue in cheek I take it, don't think Caddy would be the first player that springs to mind as exploiting the Pies lack of pace.

Well if the Death Squad moves as fast as GHS, you could probably out-walk them!:D

And I see you also have a death wish, having a poke at GHS is gonna be frowned upon by many on here. ;) Heck though, I was surprised at how slow he looked on a couple of occasions last night.

Lost seven of their last thirteen games the Pies, so they're not travelling all that great at the moment, and despite the fact they'll be pretty desperate to keep in touch with the top four I think we'll be able to revesre the two outcomes from last year.

Chapman and Corey hopefully both available to replace Hunt and Schroder, or Kelly if he falls foul of the MRP.

Should give up on trying to predict the team because there is always somebody "rotated" that you havent heard mentioned in despatches all week. e.g. Corey this week, Hawkins last week. But i will have a go anyway.

In : Chapman Corey Caddy
Out : Kelly (certain to get 2 weeks) T Hunt Christensen (my tip to have a rest)

If they're both fully fit - which they are - there is no way I want Caddy replacing Christensen. Apparently for the sake of it it would seem. With Hunt injured and Kelly almost certainly suspended Christensen's skill, youth AND PACE are essential against Collingwood.

I think we should win this but I'm never that confident about playing the Pies. Is Chapman definitely back this week?
No certainty based on comments out of the club, but has seemingly been 95 percent for last three weeks.... Have a feeling he will play so as to give him his 250th under lights at Kardinia.

I still think Kelly will get cleared... There are about three similar incidents from weekend and all will be let off.

Hunt is obviously big out, but gives Schroeder and GHS the chance to solidify spots.

INS... Chapman
OUTS.... Hunt

Others that may come into consideration include Caddy, Kersten, Walker and Corey.

Expect the Pies to make some bold selection moves and come out firing... I think they will recall The Witts and try to break us down through there big men.... Ball a near certainty given there need for another supporting mid. Will be a tough game but if we come to play we are a much better side.

No certainty based on comments out of the club, but has seemingly been 95 percent for last three weeks.... Have a feeling he will play so as to give him his 250th under lights at Kardinia.

I still think Kelly will get cleared... There are about three similar incidents from weekend and all will be let off.

Hunt is obviously big out, but gives Schroeder and GHS the chance to solidify spots.

INS... Chapman
OUTS.... Hunt

Others that may come into consideration include Caddy, Kersten, Walker and Corey.

Corey? "come into consideration"?
He replaces Kelly, unless Kelly has a miraculous mistake; otherwise he replaces Shroder.

Corey? "come into consideration"?
He replaces Kelly, unless Kelly has a miraculous mistake; otherwise he replaces Shroder.
Not sure if you have been watching this year, but Corey has played almost exclusively at half back... He comes in if they decide to drop Thurlow, which I don't think they will. No doubt Corey is best 22 but if he is under slight cloud I imagine they will be conservative and back in Thurlow.

Not sure if you have been watching this year, but Corey has played almost exclusively at half back... He comes in if they decide to drop Thurlow, which I don't think they will. No doubt Corey is best 22 but if he is under slight cloud I imagine they will be conservative and back in Thurlow.

Actually I have been watching, and not just listening or reading, and he's played across half-back, but not always as a dedicated HBF (same as Bartel), and not exclusively there anyway - as for instance when he took Kennedy v Sydney.
If he's fit I woulf be extremely surprised if he didn't play this week v Collingwood, especially with Kelly and Hunt out, or even just Hunt.

Actually I have been watching, and not just listening or reading, and he's played across half-back, but not always as a dedicated HBF (same as Bartel), and not exclusively there anyway - as for instance when he took Kennedy v Sydney.
If he's fit I woulf be extremely surprised if he didn't play this week v Collingwood, especially with Kelly and Hunt out, or even just Hunt.
I would say 80 per cent if not more has been at half back this year. I think CS will replace Hunt with Chapman before Corey given greater midfield role of Chappy this year. If Kelly goes out, which I don't think he will, then Corey may come in, but not as a direct midfield replacement.... Would be some shifting around.

More I think about things too, we may even see Guthrie push into tagging role, which he has done a little. Could also see Josh hunt return to cover this move.... Aaaaagggghhhhh so any options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say 80 per cent if not more has been at half back this year. I think CS will replace Hunt with Chapman before Corey given greater midfield role of Chappy this year. If Kelly goes out, which I don't think he will, then Corey may come in, but not as a direct midfield replacement.... Would be some shifting around.

More I think about things too, we may even see Guthrie push into tagging role, which he has done a little. Could also see Josh hunt return to cover this move.... Aaaaagggghhhhh so any options.

I don't think there is any serious doubt that, if fit, Chapman and Corey will come into the team.
But it's up to the MC, that's why they get the big bucks.

Hey guys, good win against the bombers on Friday.

I am actually a little shocked reading this thread. I was expecting you would already be discussing your game against Port Adelaide in here but you are a classy lot so respect.

I think to a neutral observer you would go in as heavy favourites and rightly so but i hope that Pies will play with a bit more passion next week. We were out coached by Ross yesterday and i thought our skills under pressure were terrible, i am sure we will bounce back, if not then it will get ugly.

No way Kelly should/will go for the hit on Goddard. What is the prognosis on Hunt? Is Chappy fit? I read somewhere it was 2-3 weeks?
Fair to say both teams are undermanned at this stage but your guys have found a way to keep winning and still introduce some quality kids into the side.

If we can negate the run off half back, keep Selwood under control and inflict some scoreboad pressure early then i think we can pinch a win. There are a lot of 'ifs' in there :)

Good luck, hoping a good game & no injuries.

Hey where was my welcome when I first joined the site. I demand a refund!!!! :mad:

If you don't like it you can
Sorry, start again, welcome, don't know how we ever got along without you, where have you been all our lives, etc, etc.
:D
PS. Mods, that's the last time I do the meet'n'greet, please get organised.

Scoreboard pressure.JPG Scoreline like this should pretty well do it. Fondly recalled by fans at VFL game in 2011 or was it 2012?

Glad you asked as I am having trouble seeing if anything other than the thumbprint is visible. It is a non-doctored image of a scoreline of Cats 182 goals, 12 behinds, 1104 points (adds up) to Pies 4 goals 5 behinds 29 points, which also adds up. Having said that, it was only the third quarter.

Hey guys, good win against the bombers on Friday.

I am actually a little shocked reading this thread. I was expecting you would already be discussing your game against Port Adelaide in here but you are a classy lot so respect.

I think to a neutral observer you would go in as heavy favourites and rightly so but i hope that Pies will play with a bit more passion next week. We were out coached by Ross yesterday and i thought our skills under pressure were terrible, i am sure we will bounce back, if not then it will get ugly.

No way Kelly should/will go for the hit on Goddard. What is the prognosis on Hunt? Is Chappy fit? I read somewhere it was 2-3 weeks?
Fair to say both teams are undermanned at this stage but your guys have found a way to keep winning and still introduce some quality kids into the side.

If we can negate the run off half back, keep Selwood under control and inflict some scoreboad pressure early then i think we can pinch a win. There are a lot of 'ifs' in there :)

Good luck, hoping a good game & no injuries.
Your not the first and wont be the last to be out coached by Ross,I'm expecting a close one Saturday night,it wouldn't surprise me If the Pies bring the the old Malthouse sit on the Cats receiver and force the turnover game plan,it's worked in the past against us and It would be a good time for us to find out if we can now counter that tactic.

Has anyone else seen heath shaw punch the little niggler below the belt last night? I would be amazed if he didn't get a week for that. He will be a massive loss for them as they already seem to be really struggling for run and carry. We really should run them off their feet this week. Kelly shouldn't go, but has carry over points which is of concern. You never know how the review panel will interpret things.
From memory when Scarlo got done for kneeing Osborne in the nads a few years ago they classed it as high impact because of where the contact was made so hard to see Shaw getting off from it

I never feel confident against anyone. Especially not this week.

Then I expect you are just as horrified as I am to see all this talk on Total Footy about the Cats winning the premiership, and beating the Hawks in the GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back