Preview AFL Round 8 - Match Preview Collingwood@Carlton (MCG– 1:45PM)

The biggest Victorian rivalry re-ignites this Saturday at the MCG, with Collingwood and Carlton set to clash. These two sides carry very different form lines coming into the game this week. For Collingwood, they’re on a four game winning streak, and when playing at their best can beat any side. Meanwhile, for the Blues, while they have scored a win, are coming of a dour performance against fellow bottom-feeder in North Melbourne.

These two sides met twice in 2018. The first game was regarded as a “pick-em” matchup, with Collingwood getting off to a quick start, and not looking back. In their second meeting, it was a lot closer, with Curnow and Cripps putting on brilliant performances, but the Magpies showed their class, running out 20 point winners.

Collingwood

Last week was once again an inconsistent performance from this Collingwood team. In the first quarter, the Magpies looked unbeatable. They side got off to a quick seven goal start, with Stephenson returning to his very best. However, the next quarter and a half had Collingwood fans tearing their hair out. After complete dominance, Collingwood seemed content to long kicks, rather than slicing the Port defense. Inaccuracy didn’t help the Magpies either, kicking 1.6 in the second quarter. Thankfully for Collingwood, the Power ran out of gas, meaning which allowed Collingwood to cruise in the last quarter. However, the inconsistency from Collingwood will be a cause for concern for Nathan Buckley.

In his first match in more than a season, Ben Reid did more than enough to retain his spot in the forward line, even if Cox is available. While the win was good to get, injury concerns have re-emerged for the Magpies. Taylor Adams is set to miss a month of football, while Brayden Sier is also set to be on the sidelines for an extended period. Mason Cox is also in doubt for this week’s clash against the Blues.

The man to watch for Collingwood is Darcy Moore. Against tough opposition in Port Adelaide, Moore was simply outstanding. Moore showed that he is the future leader of the Collingwood backline, and many threw his name out their for an All-Australian spot. So far this season, Moore has been a bit inconsistent, so he will be looking to back up a brilliant performance.

Carlton

After weeks of good work, all that good form was undone for the Blues, with a dismal performance against North Melbourne. The Blues were never in the contest, with North getting the quick start. Key players like Murphy and Curnow were especially disappointing for Carlton. The Blues day was perhaps perfectly summarized when Levi Casboult decided to kick backwards 50 meters inside-50, which directly led to a turnover to Mason Wood. If this is truly rock bottom for Carlton, then the only way is up, and even just a motivated performance would most likely please Blues fans. Like Collingwood, the Blues have been hit by the injury bug as well. Big name recruit Mitch McGovern is set to miss, while the backline will also take a hit with Liam Jones out as well.

The man to watch for the Blues is Charlie Curnow. After the last season, praise was heaped onto Curnow, but the big forward hasn’t been able to recapture that form in 2019. While he has been injured at times, the forward will want to silence those murmurs that are starting to rumble. A move up the ground may be just what he needs to get his confidence back.

Head to Head odds

Collingwood: $1.08
Carlton: $8.00

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
Kayo Sports
WatchAFL

Tip

While the Magpies are hot favorites, this is well and truly a danger game for them. The Magpies will most likely win this, but it will be closer than most think.

Magpies by 30.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Agree on most of that, in particular the danger game narrative. It's been evident that we've been less than convincing against them in the recent past admittedly we haven't had the continuity. However throughout last year we still got wins on the board even in games where we went down rotations against much higher rated opposition.

On the flip side it's a possibility this could be our "ruthless" game even likely. As much as it is a danger game for us it could be very very damaging for the blues current rebuild - could set it back badly, very badly.

In this game we have a chance to truly announce ourselves to the competition and show our true swarm and spread uber difficult to defeat system and really bury them and demoralise them.

The danger is though if we're slightly off and continue our spluttering form and they play their best game for the year they could possibly win however unlikely.

We turn up and be ruthless: Magpies by 70+
We don't and they do: Magpies by 10

Nice preview but gee I thought Moore has been one our most consistent performers to date, hence the AA murmurs. Tough judge! 😉

His best has been very good. But he's gone missing a couple times, and his defensive mindset in terms of guarding space have been lacking at times.

His best has been very good. But he's gone missing a couple times, and his defensive mindset in terms of guarding space have been lacking at times.

He only really played this Season in the Backline so that might be why he was quiet in the 1st few games and just coming off huge time off injury

My predictions/visions move in mysterious ways. For example, they almost always appear to be plainly incorrect, which makes them inscrutable and occasionally frustrating. My visions also take some time to reveal themselves, so I'll have to re-visit this preview-prediction thread in a couple of days.

DeGoey, Elliott, Stevo and WHE tearing the undermanned Carlton defense apart, well supported by Mihocek and Reid.
Pies by 40.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not one to get away from pragmatic thinking, but I see a ten goal win.

Oh, I despise Carlton.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kreuzer & McGovern back for the game, Eddie firing up the rabble, might put $100 on the 8:1 odds

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure any players are worrying about what Ed says. They don’t even worry what green shoots guy says.
They are deplorable.

Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don’t know if anyone watched the norf blues game but this has to be a 10 goal victory with how our small forwards are going

Norf had one of the most open forward lines I’ve seen and without jones to hold down the fort this should be a bloodbath

If we are legit this has to be a percentage booster

Rivalry aside, there coming off one days less rest and a huge injury list

We need to put a side away and be ruthless, one of the things that we get complacent at

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
Salivating at the chance that we should be able to really hand out to our greatest rival a real flogging I've tipped us by 80 pts but think it may be even more can't wait

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last year when we played them they were $10, I lost $100 that day but still went home happy. Worth it
Imagine how happy you would have been with $100 extra in your pocket

Nah we beat Carlton so happy days

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Beams doesn't play it's time for Wells to give us something.

I don't think Wells has put together 4 solid quarters at VFL level as yet but with Adams and Beams out I'd be happy to roll that dice. At worst, he'd release players like Thomas and JDG to more midfield time occupying a spot at HF.

They are just ridiculous odds in a 2 horse race.

Totally agree. It's ridiculous. The Blues are crap, but they have been really competitive in all of their games except the Roos. They should have 3 wins on the board, except they stuffed up the end of two games.

I think we'll smash them, but I think we'll smash everybody. I don't go in any more confident against the Blues than I do against about 6 other teams in the comp.

Back