Preview AFL Round 8 - Match Preview Collingwood@Carlton (MCG– 1:45PM)

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon that'd be misuse of a gorilla. With Stephenson, Degoey and Elliott hitting form last week, will he start on the ground?
Thanks for the logical tip. I had felt that JDG may start centre for a strong start, leaving Will free for an overdue speccy up forward. But now I realise that's unlikely. Decisions...

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Basically none of us think we can win this. In fact most of the discussion is focussed on how to balance our team out and whether we will respond after last week.

Where do you think de goey lines up most often if Beams is actually out? Does Bucks leave him where he's most terrifying or put him in the middle?

Moore to Mckay and howe to Curnow?

We are probably more optimistic about your chances than your own supporter base. To me this is a classic of the kind of match we have often lost, getting caught playing fiddly football and never establishing our own game until it is too late.

I was hoping De Goey spends more time in the middle proportionally, because I think our centre work needs him more than our forward work, but with Wills in I think we have shown our hand there. Wills is basically no use anywhere but right in the middle.

I think Roughead to Casboult, Moore to McKay, not sure its Howe on Curnow or McGovern.

Good to see another horse themed poster (and a Carlton poster who is good to engage with.) I hope the skyhorses you tame are horses though and not ponies.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
What is the problem with Murphy? Playing out of position or just poor form?

Form (age).

His game has always been centered around evasiveness, and is more outside than inside. Hes lost that fraction of both bringing him back down to the pack.

His disposal has been poor this year as well.

Still gets 25 odd touches, but is no where near as damaging when in possession anymore.

Still best 22, but not even close to the player he once was.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have just worked out what a strange supporter I am. Have followed the Pies for decades and when we are doing well, I get anxious about losing but when we are not doing so well, I go to games ever so hopeful.

Just can't seem to find that happy medium.

The Happy medium is when Richmond kept finishing 9th.

Now that’s balance.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Welcome to our 2013 - 2017. You will duly be accorded the same level of sympathy we received. Your SFA will be delivered shortly.

When I look at your list in (say) 2015, I still see (Reid, White, Brown, Blair, Young, Goldsack, Sidebottom, Toovey, Varcoe, Pendles, Cloke and Swan) as your 100+ gamers that year.

That's not a bad list of senior players.

Compare that list to our 100+ gamers this year (Simpson, Murphy, Thomas, Jones, Casboult, Kruezer, Ed Curnow, Fasolo). Simpson and Jones are quality (but neither are playing this weekend). Kruezer also (but he's been in and out with injury for years now, and cant get any consistency). The rest are pretty meh.

Anyways, good luck on the weekend. Either way it goes, I hope its a close one.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Bolton will revert to type this weekend and play defensive footy. He will coach not to lose by 15 goals.

Wills is a great inclusion. Cripps would've had a birthday against our other mids but Rupert can at least make a contest.

Good to see Mayne come straight back in.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
When I look at your list in (say) 2015, I still see (Reid, White, Brown, Blair, Young, Goldsack, Sidebottom, Toovey, Varcoe, Pendles, Cloke and Swan) as your 100+ gamers that year.

That's not a bad list of senior players.

Compare that list to our 100+ gamers this year (Simpson, Murphy, Thomas, Jones, Casboult, Kruezer, Ed Curnow, Fasolo). Simpson and Jones are quality (but neither are playing this weekend). Kruezer also (but he's been in and out with injury for years now, and cant get any consistency). The rest are pretty meh.

Anyways, good luck on the weekend. Either way it goes, I hope its a close one.

Yep, they were all on our list. Sadly, all too often they were also in the medical room instead of playing. On the bright side, all the early exposure of the kids could well stand you in good stead in a few years time.

Good luck. While I fear it will be I sincerely hope it's not close, easier on an aging ticker and lowers the level of crap email and texts I'll receive from filth supporters.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Melbourne is also alongside Richmond. Can't stand supporters from either team.

I dont even hate you guys that much anymore.

There is a special place in Hell for Essendon and their supporters, and after years of dealing with Adelaides supporters (various trades over this rebuild), they're number two now. Not so much the Crows as a team, but their supporters are dead set bogans. The Richmong guys have become unbearable post their flag win (hopefully they have a s**t season, and can go back to tearing each other apart).

Need something to spark the Carlton Collingwood rivalry back up again. Beats me what though.

There is a special place in Hell for Essendon and their supporters, and after years of dealing with Adelaides supporters (various trades over this rebuild), they're number two now. Not so much the Crows as a team, but their supporters are dead set bogans. The Richmong guys have become unbearable post their flag win (hopefully they have a **** season, and can go back to tearing each other apart).

Need something to spark the Carlton Collingwood rivalry back up again. Beats me what though.
Must admit, I can't go into your banter thread as not only do I have good friends that support Carlton but there are some good Carlton supporters that I enjoy reading their posts. So really no value in trading insults.

Maybe when Carlton becomes more successful we can try again.

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood

There is a special place in Hell for Essendon and their supporters, and after years of dealing with Adelaides supporters (various trades over this rebuild), they're number two now. Not so much the Crows as a team, but their supporters are dead set bogans. The Richmong guys have become unbearable post their flag win (hopefully they have a **** season, and can go back to tearing each other apart).

How about we beat you by five points in a GF on the back of a dodgy umpiring decision then publicly gloat about it... will that do it for you ?

Surely that’s not a vision... actually a memory.

Vision/prophecy-memory, past-future, these are merely constructions and I'll not submit to the tyranny of time. I find chronology oppressive...

Bolton will revert to type this weekend and play defensive footy. He will coach not to lose by 15 goals.

Wills is a great inclusion. Cripps would've had a birthday against our other mids but Rupert can at least make a contest.

Good to see Mayne come straight back in.

and We have Struggled when Geelong and West Coast did that against us

Must admit, I can't go into your banter thread as not only do I have good friends that support Carlton but there are some good Carlton supporters that I enjoy reading their posts. So really no value in trading insults.

Maybe when Carlton becomes more successful we can try again.

I don't as I probably lose Control

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Guys this is the perfect game to unleash De Goey in the middle. There is no better opportunity. We have 2 inside mids out, bringing 1 in who has only played 1 game in 3 seasons. Our team has lacked some hard inside work all season which he provides. Carlton have there 3 best defenders out. Get him in the middle to improve our clearances. Don’t need de Goey’s presence, our other forwards will expose them down back.

hellfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 21, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
Guys this is the perfect game to unleash De Goey in the middle. There is no better opportunity. We have 2 inside mids out, bringing 1 in who has only played 1 game in 3 seasons. Our team has lacked some hard inside work all season which he provides. Carlton have there 3 best defenders out. Get him in the middle to improve our clearances. Don’t need de Goey’s presence, our other forwards will expose them down back.

Not sure he has the tank, unfortunately. I’d definitely look to play him in there in the first half to try to break the game open. Then he can play forward in the second half.

May 7, 2011
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Tottenham, Oakland Raiders
Yep, to JDG going largely mid this week.
Can see them going hard tag on Pendles too so we could do with the boost so we don't leave too much to too few.

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
We should win this by 70

I think we will win this by 35

Back