Preview AFL Round 9 Adelaide V Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree with this at all John infact his whole career he has been known as a dumb footballer, once again Staker butchers the footy and has limited football smarts. What he has over a Collier or Cornelius is 6 more pre-seasons. If Collier and Acorn are afforded that luxury, i think you would find they will be better players.

I am not saying we should drop him but we need to give these other blokes a chance.

The idea is to win not write the season off after a 4 - 4 start to the season and play kiddies who can hardly do it in a 5th best comp in the land let alone the top level. Collier was profoundly ordinary at times on the weekend and has been for long time. I hope he makes it of course as I hope all players do but at this point in time he is not up to standard and to be considered and to make the seniors now would either reek of desperation on our part or we are more injured than I already know we are.

Acorn kicked one from way out at one point but then missed from in front from about 10 meters out. It summed up his entire game last Saturday. He needs another season or 2 yet.

Staker may "butcher" the odd one, but he is not Robinson Crusoe in the AFL and you can disagree with that all you like but you are not watching other games and are also putting you bias in the way if you think otherwise. Just about every player "butchers" the ball and when I watch games live at the Gabba and on the TV the mistakes sometimes stand out more than the skill at times. The players make more errors than the umps.

If he was as bad as some of you make out why have I read that his efficiency rating is over 90%. I happened to watch a lot of the Eagles on twilight footy on Fox over the last few years and though I did not see him too much last year prior to that he was OK. He was not the greatest player ever nor was he terrible. He had a lot of very good games, a lot of middling and the odd poor one. This happens and as someone who has informed me that you have played at a fair level I would like to know when you decided that football players were robots who at a certain level turn it on and of at will. I don't understand your point of view sometimes. Maybe it is too heartfelt when the Lions are involved as opposed to analytical.

As to Stakers season so far I am so confident of my position that he has easily been one of our better players week in week out I will bet you (acuguy only) that he is our top 10 in the best and fairest after the last 8 rounds and am willing to bet $50 with the winner to put into a charity of the others choice.

I just want to get some reasons as to why a lot of posters on here think we will win this week? I give us a chance, but it is far from a foregone conclusion as some are making out. You only had to watch a glimpse of our NM game to get an idea of how poorly we are travelling atm.
Haven't won in a month, lost by 80 points last week, sore players all over the park, no confidence, etc etc.

I just want to get some reasons as to why a lot of posters on here think we will win this week? I give us a chance, but it is far from a foregone conclusion as some are making out. You only had to watch a glimpse of our NM game to get an idea of how poorly we are travelling atm.

We'll continue playing injured, half fit players, rather than rest them and get them fit. Seems the logic is play an experienced, unfit player who will draw a good defender rather than a fit inexperienced one. End result has still been a loss for the last 4 rounds, but the train of thought hasn't changed.

You just need to take advantage and the game will be yours.

EDIT: didn't wanted to sound that negative, but I just find it hard to stomach the fact that we are persisting with injuries than getting players back to a clean bill of health. I am still hoping for a win for us in the coming round.

I think:
a) we're an overly pessimistic board,
b) our team has lost four in a row (despite the Sydney game being more closely run than the score suggested, and us only 13 points behind league leaders Freo in that game), and
c) probably very few of us have seen you guys play this year to get a sense of how bad you are (assuming your description is true), so we're working off a sense of Adelaide last year.

I think:
a) we're an overly pessimistic board,
b) our team has lost four in a row (despite the Sydney game being more closely run than the score suggested, and us only 13 points behind league leaders Freo in that game), and
c) probably very few of us have seen you guys play this year to get a sense of how bad you are (assuming your description is true), so we're working off a sense of Adelaide last year.

To put BACCS' query in perspective, the Adelaide Board currently has 3 separate threads on the end of year draft and trading in/out players, and nary a poster is battering an eyelid- I would be understandably disappointed if Brisbane were 1-7, but surely Round 8 is too early to be waving the white flag? Especially given how they were able to turn around their fortunes last year.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that throughout the year our whole team has been trying to spear passes to other players rather than popping it out in front and letting the receiver run onto it? it seems to happen all over the ground and far too often and it usually results in:
a) a shank (and subsequent turnover) cos theyve tried to kick the ball too hard
b) an opponent dropping infront of our player and taking an easy mark at chest height
c) over kicking the ball so that our player is camped under it and the defender gets an easy spoil (especially with kicks into browny and fev)

IMO we need to stop being cute and get back to simple footy, kicking the ball out infront and letting forwards/mids run onto the ball.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't thought about in terms of us trying to spear passes but you may be right. We are definitely shanking heaps, as well as over-kicking a lot of the time (we also have extreme trouble seeing opposition players that might intercept our kicks).

I agree that the majority of the time if the player kicking is under pressure or he is kicking to a definite contest then we need to be kicking the ball out in-front of players and allow them to run onto it (something that Brown does incredibly well).

I am so sick of us kicking to the absolute perfect position for the defenders (which is usually over the top and to the side the defender is standing).

FWIW, I think you guys will win...comfortably. Besides the Sydney loss, I have had the misfortune of watching our other 3 losses live, and I just don't see how we can win. Our forward line is slow and predictable, we have been decimated by injuries to crucial players, our mids are slow and we literally have no idea how to move the ball once the opposition has scored a behind. Crows by 36 for mine.

Assuming Clark is not ready to play yet, this is what I would like to see as the ins and outs:

- In = Proud and Johnstone
- Out = Austin and Rockliff

I also wouldn't mind seeing Selwood in the team again. He was very unlucky to be dropped after his effort in the Sydney game. However, I would give the next in line for the chop in my mind (Buchannan, Redden and Stiller) one more week to see how they go.

I think we need to play Proud in the middle to bring back some intensity to our game. We desperately need to win this game to keep our season alive and at the moment Austin in particular (and Rockliff as well recently) have just not been up to it most of the time. I also think Johnstone was very unlucky to be dropped.

Unfortunately both of my 'Ins' don't seem to be amongst Vossy's favourites.

Top preview TFB, my favourite poem of all time rendered beautifully to our current plight.

OK, to the game: We'll win. I haven't been this confident since Round 7 against Freo, and before that since Round 5 against Melbourne.

Fev and Browny have been holed up in a special room in Adelaide together getting their groins rubbed. In Thailand that room is called "hotel". Over here it is called "physio".

So, those two should be feeling great come Sunday, they'll fire, we've already shown that AAMI is a happy hunting ground for us this year, we will win this game.

FWIW, I think you guys will win...comfortably. Besides the Sydney loss, I have had the misfortune of watching our other 3 losses live, and I just don't see how we can win. Our forward line is slow and predictable, we have been decimated by injuries to crucial players, our mids are slow and we literally have no idea how to move the ball once the opposition has scored a behind. Crows by 36 for mine.

Well our forward line is playing half-back and is slow and predictable. Everyone remotely attached to the club, including anyone who has ever heard of the Adelaide Crows has suffered life-threatening injuries or illnesses. Our mids move slower than a Frenchman leaving a brothel, and if we even manage to score a behind, the game should immediately ended so that South Australia can begin a week long celebration.

It's on!
Brisbane by 50 points!

CrippleFight.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea is to win not write the season off after a 4 - 4 start to the season and play kiddies who can hardly do it in a 5th best comp in the land let alone the top level. Collier was profoundly ordinary at times on the weekend and has been for long time. I hope he makes it of course as I hope all players do but at this point in time he is not up to standard and to be considered and to make the seniors now would either reek of desperation on our part or we are more injured than I already know we are.

Acorn kicked one from way out at one point but then missed from in front from about 10 meters out. It summed up his entire game last Saturday. He needs another season or 2 yet.

Staker may "butcher" the odd one, but he is not Robinson Crusoe in the AFL and you can disagree with that all you like but you are not watching other games and are also putting you bias in the way if you think otherwise. Just about every player "butchers" the ball and when I watch games live at the Gabba and on the TV the mistakes sometimes stand out more than the skill at times. The players make more errors than the umps.

If he was as bad as some of you make out why have I read that his efficiency rating is over 90%. I happened to watch a lot of the Eagles on twilight footy on Fox over the last few years and though I did not see him too much last year prior to that he was OK. He was not the greatest player ever nor was he terrible. He had a lot of very good games, a lot of middling and the odd poor one. This happens and as someone who has informed me that you have played at a fair level I would like to know when you decided that football players were robots who at a certain level turn it on and of at will. I don't understand your point of view sometimes. Maybe it is too heartfelt when the Lions are involved as opposed to analytical.

As to Stakers season so far I am so confident of my position that he has easily been one of our better players week in week out I will bet you (acuguy only) that he is our top 10 in the best and fairest after the last 8 rounds and am willing to bet $50 with the winner to put into a charity of the others choice.

John, i watch far too much football! Obviously that is according to the Mrs. Staker is a bit footballer who through injury and reports has been thrusted into the role of a key player. He isn't up to this.

In the forward line he presents well like the old mobile chf but he can't kick at goal to save his life, this is a massive problem as a forward.

As a defender he works to the contest but adds nothing when we need to attack.

Personally i think he is a handy player at absolute best. His rating in the b and f might be in the top 10 after round 8 but his output has been haphazard at best and would be a reflection of the poor last 4 weeks.

Our selections have been interesting of late, either a team of one paced players or a willingness to play small and not give young talls outside the team opportunity and responsibility.

Staker might very well be the fall guy at the moment but he was much maligned at the Eagles as well.

Extended squads:

Brisbane Lions
B: Jed Adcock, Matt Maguire, Luke Power
HB: James Hawksley, Brent Staker, Joel Patfull
C: Tom Rockliff, Michael Rischitelli, Justin Sherman
HF: Jack Redden, Jonathan Brown, Amon Buchanan
F: Todd Banfield, Brendan Fevola, James Polkinghorne
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Simon Black, Daniel Rich
I/C (from): Matt Austin, Andrew Raines, Cheynee Stiller, Ashley McGrath, Mitchell Clark, Travis Johnstone, Aaron Cornelius

In: Clark, Cornelius, Johnstone
Out: -

ADELAIDE
B: Brent Reilly, Ben Rutten, Scott Stevens
HB: Simon Goodwin, Nathan Bock, Michael Doughty
C: Myke Cook, Tyson Edwards, David Mackay
HF: Richard Douglas, Taylor Walker, Nathan van Berlo
F: Jason Porplyzia, Kurt Tippett, Jared Petrenko
R: Ivan Maric, Andrew McLeod, Patrick Dangerfield
I/c: Scott Thompson, Jonathon Griffin, Phil Davis, Jack Gunston, Tony Armstrong, Chris Schmidt, Will Young.

In to 25: Jonathon Griffin, Jack Gunston, David Mackay, Scott Thompson, Will Young.
Out of 22: Bernie Vince, Matthew Jaensch.

Doesn't really tell us much...

au contraire, Fev out? (or Vossy foxing, again)

Ok, I meant "doesn't really tell us much definitively". We've got extended bench coverage across all lines. Anyone could still be in / out.

Doesn't really tell us much...

Yeah they're both hedging their bets.
We have a surplus of small defenders which may indicate McGrath is still uncertain.
Also Cornelius' inclusion may indicate there is some doubt over Brown or Fev. I wouldn't be overly disappointed if one of them did miss- Acorn impressed against St Kilda last year, and I'd be happy to see where he's at.
Clark may also be a no-show.

Would make for an interesting forward set up if A-Corn was to play alongside both Brown and Fev. Adelaide's depleted defence would struggle to match up and it would add that another string to our attack.

Hopefully Cornelius gets in. If he can kick the 2 goals he did again St Kilda he could be a match winner knowing Adelaide's low scoring style of late.

Ash McGrath on the interchange... is Hawksley that good to warrant Ash on the bench?

Loving the red nugget Banfield.. for me he's one of the most consistent top 5 of the Lions every single game so far.

You'd assume Clark is fit if he is taking up one of 7 bench spots whilst we are in our personnel crisis.

On the other hand, Fev or Brown will seemingly not play given ACorn has made the cut.

Would make for an interesting forward set up if A-Corn was to play alongside both Brown and Fev. Adelaide's depleted defence would struggle to match up and it would add that another string to our attack.

Fev V Rutten
Brown V Bock
Acorn V Davis/Stevens

Doubt the extra tall would hurt us that bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back