Preview AFL Round 9 - Match Preview St. Kilda@Collingwood (MCG– 1:45PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not quite a blockbuster game, but a clash between the Saints and the Magpies on a Saturday afternoon sets us up for an interesting game. Both teams were disappointing in their performances last week. For Collingwood, while they were poor, like good teams do, they found a way to win. However, the Saints weren’t as lucky, losing to the Eagles by three goals.

The last time these two sides met was in a rather uninspiring Saturday night matchup. The Saints were in the game for the first half, but Collingwood managed to flex their muscle in the second half, running out four goal winners.

Collingwood

It wasn’t pretty, but Collingwood got the job done over the Blues to make it five wins in a row. In a match that many expected the Magpies to win in a canter, the Magpies were given an almighty fright, with Patrick Cripps and his men looking very likely to pull off a stunning upset. However, the Magpies’ experience came through, and they were able to kick away in the last five minutes and win by three goals. Adam Treloar was monumental for the Magpies in the last quarter, as was Brodie Grundy. However, there is also more injury worries for Collingwood, with Chris Mayne suffering a head injury in his first game back, and Jamie Elliott suffering yet another hamstring injury that will put him out for a month. Coming into this game, the Magpies will need to tidy up on a few categories that they struggled in last week. Inside-50 conversions were quite for Collingwood, with the Magpies dominating large portions of the game, but failing to convert on the scoreboard. Their presence in the midfield will need to improve, as with the addition of Wills caused the midfield to become to negative, and thus a large amount of offensive prowess was lost.

The man to watch this week is Travis Varcoe. With Elliott missing due to injury, the most likely inclusion in the side is Travis Varcoe. Despite being a staple in the Collingwood side when available in his first years at the club, Varcoe has fallen out of favor with Nathan Buckley. Many feel Varcoe just isn’t having that impact that he usually does on games anymore. Varcoe will need to get more of the football, and have a bigger impact on the scoreboard if he is to retain his spot in the team.

St Kilda

It’s tricky to judge St Kilda. While many were surprised that the Saints were able to win their four of their first five games, many still aren’t really sold on the Saints improvement. After a very disappointing 2018 season, Saints fans will be very impressed that they are at the very least competitive in all their games, but many will feel like they could have done a bit better in each of their performances. Against the Eagles last week, the Saints came home like a train to give the Eagles a bit of a fright, closing to within two goals late in the match. However, they were unable to close the game, and ended up losing by 18 points. Dunstan was excellent for the Saints, while Seb Ross was his usual consistent self.

One thing that will please Saints this year is their improved goalkicking accuracy. Last season, the Saints’ accuracy was causing fans to tear their hair out. However, the Saints, despite a few poorer performances, have been much more accurate in their kicking for goal. However, one area that the Saints are very vulnerable to is opening to the quarters. The Saints concede more points at the beginning of quarters than nearly any other team. They will need to ensure that they are ready to go, so that Collingwood don’t get the quick start on them, and blow the Saints out of the water.

The man to watch is Johnathan Marsh. The defender previously played for Collingwood between 2014 and 2016, but opted to return to his home state of W.A. hoping to be picked up by either Fremantle or the West Coast. However, after neither of these teams picked him up in the subsequent trade period, Marsh opted to retire. However, a couple of years later, Marsh had a change of heart, and was picked up by the Saints. It is important that Marsh makes his mark for the Saints, as his chances will be limited.

Head to Head odds

Collingwood: $1.22
St. Kilda: $4.00

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
Kayo Sports
WatchAFL

Tip

Collingwood are hot favorites once again, but the Saints are no easy beats, expect a tough tussle, with the Magpies pulling away in the last quarter.

Magpies by 25.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Four goals to the good for us.

We just look stronger over all.

On ball brigade with Grundy and Pendlebury complemented by Beams and Sidebottom and Treloar will be way to much for Saints to counter.

Very balanced and strong back group.

A diminished forward group but still with firepower including Stephenson, Hyphen, Thomas and perhaps De Goey (then it’s potent).

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Team lineups:
Screenshot_20190516-215145_AFL.jpg

Danger game
I’m more comfortable with this game than the Carlton one tbh. They just have no player names that jump off the team sheet screaming danger like Carlton do with Cripps, Curnow and McKay.

I work near gate 5 mate. Anywhere near you? Swing by if you fancy some loaded fries.
Thanks mate. I’m in gate 1, level 2 of the Ponsford, spitting distance to the Legends Bar!

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I’m more comfortable with this game than the Carlton one tbh. They just have no player names that jump off the team sheet screaming danger like Carlton do with Cripps, Curnow and McKay.

The Saints 22 on paper doesn't inspire heaps of fear but they're better than the sum of their parts and have played some good footy this season. Their recent form has fallen in a hole though. Three straight losses to them compared to five wins to us. Our midfield depth will worry the Saints I think. They're speed across the field could cause us some grief, like the Essendon game, and i'll be interested to see how we go with it.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree with you. This game has Brisbane/port/tiges result written all over it whereas the Carlton game felt more like a struggle similar to the bombers game.
My gut feelings have been mostly correct this season (for a change), hopefully it’s correct again and this is a way less stressful game.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
What the hell is going on?
1. Changes thread
2. Preview thread
3. Game day thread

Please, just one thread for the whole thing!

Always always have said we should call the first thread "changes and pre-match discussion" but maybe as soon as our team is finalised on the Thursday or Friday we then go to a preview/match day thread.

Seems all over the place at the moment!

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Happy with Varcoe in. He needs to play forward to put pressure on.

This is a bit of a danger game this one. We should win, but Saints play a brand that could trouble us particularly if they get on top in the middle, which they most likely will if the trend this season is anything to go by.

They actually have a genuine forward line so if they get on top in the middle, we might be in some trouble.

Greening Magic

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
No doubt our weakest team of the year, especially if Dr Goey doesn't get up.
Varcoe needs to find form and Reid needs to be serviceable.
I'll take any size win.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
If we f lose this man.. I f swear man.. I will tell me ol' man who has been promoting property investing since I was 8 yrs of age.. that I have been investing my dough in shares and futures and options and s**t like that for the last 15 yrs bc I understand the value of alternative streams of income and s**t after studying it at uni and as a road scholar for 8 yrs and that re.. explaining it to him.. then coping the biggest sfaliara of all time with pou sou gadouri.. and.. den sai ematha etsi aliti.. thrown in between and that re..

I have f had it re.. that's it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back