AFL Rule change on ducking - not being enforced?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Fun stat I just noticed for no real reason...

Who would have predicted that the AFL change the rules to take away the reward for a player that initiates high contact against themselves and Joel Selwood currently leads the league for free kicks.

Oh, the irony.

Feel free to laugh, discuss, or rip into me for being a 'Selwood hater' or other such things.

Who would have predicted that the AFL change the rules to take away the reward for a player that initiates high contact against themselves and Joel Selwood currently leads the league for free kicks.

Oh, the irony.

Feel free to laugh, discuss, or rip into me for being a 'Selwood hater' or other such things.

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying this proves Selwood doesn't duck or that the rule change didn't work?

STPer18 MotleyLemon Mad_Hatter chefmeister Lunchlady Doris

giphy.gif

The rule works perfectly fine i think. Its goal was to stop lindsay thomas getting free kicks when he wasn't getting them anyway. And he still doesn't get free kicks.

Other players are irrelevant in a rule not designed for them

Oh, the irony.

Working as intended. Selwood has never ducked in his entire career, so it's self-explanatory that his game has been completely unaffected by a rule-change that has absolutely nothing to do with the way he plays.

In other news, Caleb Daniel's hitout stats have remained largely the same since the 3rd man up rule has been changed.

Selwood draws a lot of frees because he is one of the premiere inside-under players in the comp. A small percentage of them were drawn by raising his arms when he was tackled, causing the tackle to slip up to over the shoulder. It isn't ducking, and it isn't as common as everyone makes it out to be.. but everyone notices when he does/did it. It's actually smart play by a very smart player.

The rule works perfectly fine i think. Its goal was to stop lindsay thomas getting free kicks when he wasn't getting them anyway. And he still doesn't get free kicks.

Other players are irrelevant in a rule not designed for them

Bizarrely not the first rule he's single handedly changed. Contact below the knees Came about after he slid in and unfortunately broke poor Gary Rohan's leg.

Also Suspensions for accidental head clashes in a bump you can also lay blame at him for that after the controversy of him not getting suspended from his bump against Collingwoods Reid.

Three rule changes arguably made predominantly because of one player.

Bizarrely not the first rule he's single handedly changed. Contact below the knees Came about after he slid in and unfortunately broke poor Gary Rohan's leg.

Also Suspensions for accidental head clashes in a bump you can also lay blame at him for that after the controversy of him not getting suspended from his bump against Collingwoods Reid.

Three rule changes arguably made predominantly because of one player.

I heard they are contemplating a new rule change based on his vfl shenanigans.

If lindsay is within 5 metres of the ball at any stoppage then it is a free kick to the opposition. Because there is a 50% chance he will hurt someone and a 50% chance of a dive.

Forward thinking if ive ever seen it.

For the record i actually feel lindsay gets a bit screwed for his bad record, while lots of others barely get a mention.

Working as intended. Selwood has never ducked in his entire career, so it's self-explanatory that his game has been completely unaffected by a rule-change that has absolutely nothing to do with the way he plays.

In other news, Caleb Daniel's hitout stats have remained largely the same since the 3rd man up rule has been changed.
I never mentioned ducking. I agree that he never really ducked, but he did initiate high contact a fair bit, usually by raising his arm up to slip an otherwise legal tackle into a high one. Technically speaking, it wasn't illegal for him to do this, but you could argue that it was against the spirit of the intention of the rule and the subsequent change would go some way to confirming this.
He also wasn't the only player to do it, and I think it's been well documented in the past who the other regular offenders were, I'll even throw one of my own, Murphy, into the mix, which I wasn't a fan of him doing it.

I guess it was more an observation on social perception. A large percentage of people would say that Selwood ducked (rightly or wrongly) and that the rule change would make him a lesser player and that he wouldn't get anywhere near as many frees. To be honest, I haven't seen a single Geelong game yet this year, but the stats would seem to indicate that it hasn't affected him one bit.

Selwood draws a lot of frees because he is one of the premiere inside-under players in the comp. A small percentage of them were drawn by raising his arms when he was tackled, causing the tackle to slip up to over the shoulder. It isn't ducking, and it isn't as common as everyone makes it out to be.. but everyone notices when he does/did it. It's actually smart play by a very smart player.
Load of s**t. Most of his frees are raising the arms.

Murphy does that too and it irritates me, but Selwood invented it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood was on record pace for head high free kicks against St Kilda including one that was head high contact from one of his own teammates.

He still gets very well looked after by the umpires but will be the first to sook if a decision doesn't go his way.

234.gif

We really need to stamp this thinking out of the game.

If a soccer player dives for a free kick we all laugh and point and say what a sissy game soccer is.

A favourite son of AFL does a similar thing and he is put on a pedestal and we're told how tough and smart he is by all those in the media. Some of us buy into it, others can see it for what it really is.

What Selwood is doing is no different to what the sissy soccer players do. It's about getting a free where the offending players intention was otherwise and, like diving in soccer, it is not in the spirit of the game.

Seriously, do you think players like Selwood and Schuey are that hard to tackle? What makes these guys un-tackle-able? Can you imagine if every player in the league started doing the raised arm or slight knee bend on contact? It will make the game unwatchable which is the direction it has already started to head in.

Funny how there was a furore from the Melb media about 5 years ago in regards to the Eagles ducking techniques and the frees they would amass. That was when they had Schuey, S Selwood, McGinnity et al. The umpires were quick to clamp down on it but the arm raise is still allowed and now were told is a skill.

I would love to see play on called when the player being tackled raises the arm (which is easy to spot) and the tackle inevitably slips up to the shoulders. If players like Selwood get hurt from doing it then so be it. He instigated the head high contact. Loved Selwood when he first came onto the scene and thought the bloke was going to be an absolute star from what I saw of his first year. But now he seems to be more worried about getting frees, not sure why as all he is doing is allowing the opposition to get back and flood the D50. Now I can't wait for the turd to retire.

I'm ready for the inevitable stampede from Geelong and Eagles posters and others whose teams have players who benefit from this (and the list of regular offenders is growing).

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying this proves Selwood doesn't duck or that the rule change didn't work?
My take on what the OP is implying is that the player with possession, or who goes in hard for the ball and is crudely tackled will be rewarded a free.

Well said mate and end thread?

Can you please provide a photo or evidence of him ducking then?

Note: this needs to be him ducking into a tackle to create contact, not shrugging to escape a tackle (which is the aim when you are in possession).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back