AFL Rule change on ducking - not being enforced?

Remove this Banner Ad

Get angry for the umpires for paying it, but don't get angry at the player who is legitimately trying to evade the tackler.

Completely different to other players I've seen you deliberately drive their head forward to seek the tackler.

I agree that there's a difference, in that if someone drives their head then the only result is a free kick. Whereas, with Selwood, it could be a free kick or breaking the tackle.

However, with the earlier quote, it shows the Joel is willingly drawing these free kicks, rather than perceiving them to be an unfortunate side effect of his method of evasion. He welcomes tackles so that he has an opportunity to draw a free kick, which is different to someone who happens to have a tackler landing in his back as he tries to evade. This is why I gave the example of someone welcoming a tackle so that they can fall on their stomach and draw a free kick.

As for blaming the umpires, you have to give them slack since Joel has perfected the craft such that it can be almost impossible to distinguish if it began as a legitimate tackle or not. Plus, it was only one or two weeks ago when he cracked it at the umpires for being paid a free kick for genuine high contact (I believe the umpire was blindsided). History typically shows that if an umpire is unsure of an infringement, they will give benefit of the doubt to the better team or the superstar player since they assume skill has a negative correlation with mistakes that lead to free kicks (I don't have stats on this - I read it somewhere and will look for it, but it's noticeable if you pay attention in neutral games).

Why is it no one ever states that why doesn't the tackler start lower? Just because they want to tackle and pin the arms does not make it right for them to have their tackle forced high and not be penalised.
The player with the ball should be allowed to wriggle, lower is body by dropping his knees and also use his strength to force the tacklers arms up, if they do this and the tackle ends up high then it should be a free kick.
If they duck or lead with the head then it is play on.
I can bet you that if they paid all the high tackles as free kicks which they should the coaches would quickly instruct and teach their players to change how they tackle. How the damn have we ever reached a point where the guy without the ball is given the benefit of the doubt?
And I am sick of hearing the head is sacrosanct, it clearly is not as every game there is 20-40 head high tackles not paid as high tackles.
The head is absolutely not sacrosanct now and less so than ever in the history of the sport.

Why is it no one ever states that why doesn't the tackler start lower? Just because they want to tackle and pin the arms does not make it right for them to have their tackle forced high and not be penalised.
The player with the ball should be allowed to wriggle, lower is body by dropping his knees and also use his strength to force the tacklers arms up, if they do this and the tackle ends up high then it should be a free kick.
If they duck or lead with the head then it is play on.
I can bet you that if they paid all the high tackles as free kicks which they should the coaches would quickly instruct and teach their players to change how they tackle. How the Damn have we ever reached a point where the guy without the ball is given the benefit of the doubt?
And I am sick of hearing the head is sacrosanct, it clearly is not as every game there is 20-40 head high tackles not paid as high tackles.
The head is absolutely not sacrosanct now and less so than ever in the history of the sport.

Less than ever? Wtf? Do you know what happened in the 70s and 80s?

Why? Why should that be a free kick? They should be allowed to do it, but it should be play on if it slips high. They should also be penalised for holding the ball if they choose to do this and don't dispose of the ball.
The head should be protected from excessive force and deliberate contact. Players should not be encouraged in any way, shape or form to initiate contact to their own heads.

Why? Why should that be a free kick? They should be allowed to do it, but it should be play on if it slips high. They should also be penalised for holding the ball if they choose to do this and don't dispose of the ball.
The head should be protected from excessive force and deliberate contact. Players should not be encouraged in any way, shape or form to initiate contact to their own heads.

It is exactly your reasoning why the game has become rule less, the tackle that slips high is from a weak tackler. Reward the weak tackler now? When the coaches decided years ago that they want their players to tackle and pin the arms the risk associated with this was that the tackle can end up high, instead of making the coaches sort out the issue and change their methods you want the guy with the ball to take the responsibility.
Other than ducking or leading with the head, head high contact is head high contact and should be a free kick every single time, it's not complicated at all.
But currently it is very complicated.

It is exactly your reasoning why the game has become rule less, the tackle that slips high is from a weak tackler. Reward the weak tackler now? When the coaches decided years ago that they want their players to tackle and pin the arms the risk associated with this was that the tackle can end up high, instead of making the coaches sort out the issue and change their methods you want the guy with the ball to take the responsibility.
Other than ducking or leading with the head, head high contact is head high contact and should be a free kick every single time, it's not complicated at all.
But currently it is very complicated.
:drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back