AFL says yes to extra sponsorship spot on guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

Like South Melbourne changed their name when they went to Sydney?

If Hawthorn did move (heaven forbid), then yeah, I'd imagine the name would be changed.

Anyways, the jumpers are already covered with advertising logos, so I don't see why there should be such a fuss over what the Saints are doing (or any other club for that matter). All they've done is cover one logo with another one.
No, it's not about moving. Tasmania is Hawthorns primary sponsor, just easily could of said the Ford Cats but that wouldn't have the same emotional attachment to you.

Not a fan, think NRL / NBL looks horrible with all the sponsors. Better to have 2 - 3 major sponsors and not look like a suburban football team raffling off any space they can to raise funds to keep going.

I'm somewhat surprised no jumper manufacturer has bothered going to the AFL to do a league-wide jumper sponsorship since compared to other leagues overseas, it would come fairly cheap.

Not a fan, think NRL / NBL looks horrible with all the sponsors. Better to have 2 - 3 major sponsors and not look like a suburban football team raffling off any space they can to raise funds to keep going.

I'm somewhat surprised no jumper manufacturer has bothered going to the AFL to do a league-wide jumper sponsorship since compared to other leagues overseas, it would come fairly cheap.

I think there have been half hearted attempts at this before but clubs can do a better deal directly (since the flow on to supporter merchandise is massive and some clubs are obviously more attractive to sponsor than others).

The most awesome change was when they put the little AFL logos on the jumper numbers.

Seeing those has become worth the price of admission alone.

I did a bit of googling on this and Holy s**t I could not believe how much the big football clubs in Europe get for Guernsey advertising..... I had to triple check it but yes that is what Manchester United get for a single year from their Guernsey sponsors.

View attachment 792049

By the numbers: This season, Manchester United will receive $91.9 million from Adidas (kit supplier), $80 million from Chevrolet (main sponsor) and $27.5 million from Kohler (sleeve sponsor). Total: $199.4 million.

• Nike is paying $1 billion over eight years to be the official apparel provider for all 30 NBA teams, while Adidas is paying $919 million over 10 years to be the official supplier for Manchester United, alone.
https://www.axios.com/premier-leagu...rts-e853a860-9708-4eb5-961d-00f8c041bd6a.html

25 million Australians. 740 million Europeans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel sorry for Nick Riewoldt. Couldn't get a decent coffee in Seaford, now his former club will be swimming in the stuff.

Looks a bit crap but certainly not outrage-inducing.

I wouldn't be thrilled if I were a Saints fan but then again it is more money for the club potentially.

Unfortunately all the major sports codes are becoming covered in advertising.
NBA with their minimal placements on the upper left chest. MLB just introduced manufacturers’ logo in the front of jerseys for the 2020 season. NBA just reintroduced that last season as well.
EPL allow sponsorships on the left sleeve.
Like AFL, it’s going to slowly filter in.
This is West Perth, in the WAFL:
9D0092AE-1896-4D9F-9306-39257E753E6B.jpeg

No, it's not about moving. Tasmania is Hawthorns primary sponsor, just easily could of said the Ford Cats but that wouldn't have the same emotional attachment to you.

Fair enough but St Kilda aren't proposing to change their name to the Dare Saints. They're simply replacing one logo with another.

It seems slightly hypocritical to me that people want clubs "to stand on their own two feet" and when they do something to generate income, they're lambasted for doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back