38CONNOR Ballenden
39COREY Lyons
40JACK Payne
41MATT Eagles
42JAMES Madden
43NOAH Answerth
46OSCAR McInerney
47TOM Fullarton

Missing Neale, Zorko, McLuggage, Robinson, Martin, Andrews, Gardiner from their best 22 at first glance.

Missing from the best 22:

Suns 11 - Harbrow, Thompson, Collins, B. Ellis, Greenwood, King, Day, Witts, Swallow, Ballard, Powell

Lions 7 - Gardiner, Andrews, Robinson, Neale, McCluggage, Martin, Zorko

I'd add Fiorini Weller and Hanley to those 11 missing, as well........

Just wanna see Rowell & Anderson stuff the stat sheet. Everyone seems to be sleeping on Rankine so i hope he does something impressive to get the same media attention Max King did couple days ago. To round up my top 5 of most excited to watch are Lemmens & Ainsworth. Both dynamic-powerful small players who haven't been fit unfortunately. Ability to play both mid-fwd, can definately see Lemmens and Rankine building some chemistry in the forward line applying plenty of pressure and most importantly kicking some snaggerzzzzzz

Missing from my Suns best 22 vs Lions:

Suns 14 - Harbrow, Thompson, Collins, B. Ellis, Greenwood, King, Day, Witts, Swallow, Weller, Fiorini, Hanley, Ballard, Powell

Lions 7 - Gardiner, Andrews, Robinson, Neale, McCluggage, Martin, Zorko
Yeah, we named a significantly stronger side than what I was expecting.

Just wanna see Rowell & Anderson stuff the stat sheet. Everyone seems to be sleeping on Rankine so i hope he does something impressive to get the same media attention Max King did couple days ago. To round up my top 5 of most excited to watch are Lemmens & Ainsworth. Both dynamic-powerful small players who haven't been fit unfortunately. Ability to play both mid-fwd, can definately see Lemmens and Rankine building some chemistry in the forward line applying plenty of pressure and most importantly kicking some snaggerzzzzzz

Sorry but vfl media doesn’t care for much outside of Melbourne unless it’s a controversial headline grab

Depth: Birchall*, Christensen, Mathieson, Lester, Starcevich, Ely Smith, Robertson, Cox, Payne, Hinge, Skinner*.
Not too much disagreement in our posts except you claim more talent in your depth which I disagree.
This is my depth with a healthy list.
Brodie, Miller, Lemmens, Holman, Hombsh, Burgess, Murdoch, Corbett, Joyce, Miles, Wright.
As you got Robertson there I am only happy to add Anderson, Flanders, Sharp - all good bodies and will play this year.

Not too much disagreement in our posts except you claim more talent in your depth which I disagree.
This is my depth with a healthy list.
Brodie, Miller, Lemmens, Holman, Hombsh, Burgess, Murdoch, Corbett, Joyce, Miles, Wright.
As you got Robertson there I am only happy to add Anderson, Flanders, Sharp - all good bodies and will play this year.
Hang on, I didn’t claim our depth was more talented.

I did say that some of our kids, in my opinion, are more talented than some of your players who have played a lot more AFL games.

That was the crux of your post.

It’s like saying, Matt Rowell is more talented than Anthony Miles or Rhys Mathieson. No one is really going to argue otherwise, it’s just that Miles and Mathieson have played more games and have more experience.

I’d replace Rowell with Ely Smith and Deven Robertson in the same discussion. And for what it’s worth, I rate Mathieson ahead of Miles as well.

I figured Anderson to be in your best 22. Or just outside it. No problems with Flanders being there either.

It’s the likes of Murdoch, Miles and Burgess that I question if they are genuine depth, or are they place holders until the more talented kids over take them.

From the Lions I listed, only Lester falls in to that group. But he’s highly regarded for his leadership and role he plays in the NEAFL team.

As I said, our list management team has been moving these players on deliberately. We’re at a point where if a player isn’t best 22, they need to show they potentially project to be in medium to long term.

With the AFL rules about clubs having to delist a minimum of 3 players at the end of each season, we’re at a point where it’s either delist a young player two years in to his career, before he’s had a chance to show if he’s a genuine talent.

Or it’s delist some of the experienced mid tier depth on the list who looks to being overtaken by younger, potentially more talented players.

If it was a stronger/deeper draft last year, I would not have been surprised if one or two more of our older players were delisted.

And as you’ve pointed out several times, it’s the relative health of our first team over the last couple of years that has caused our younger players to miss the opportunity of playing more senior games. Nothing we can really do there.

Hang on, I didn’t claim our depth was more talented.

I did say that some of our kids, in my opinion, are more talented than some of your players who have played a lot more AFL games.

That was the crux of your post.

It’s like saying, Matt Rowell is more talented than Anthony Miles or Rhys Mathieson. No one is really going to argue otherwise, it’s just that Miles and Mathieson have played more games and have more experience.

I’d replace Rowell with Ely Smith and Deven Robertson in the same discussion. And for what it’s worth, I rate Mathieson ahead of Miles as well.

I figured Anderson to be in your best 22. Or just outside it. No problems with Flanders being there either.

It’s the likes of Murdoch, Miles and Burgess that I question if they are genuine depth, or are they place holders until the more talented kids over take them.

From the Lions I listed, only Lester falls in to that group. But he’s highly regarded for his leadership and role he plays in the NEAFL team.

As I said, our list management team has been moving these players on deliberately. We’re at a point where if a player isn’t best 22, they need to show they potentially project to be in medium to long term.

With the AFL rules about clubs having to delist a minimum of 3 players at the end of each season, we’re at a point where it’s either delist a young player two years in to his career, before he’s had a chance to show if he’s a genuine talent.

Or it’s delist some of the experienced mid tier depth on the list who looks to being overtaken by younger, potentially more talented players.

If it was a stronger/deeper draft last year, I would not have been surprised if one or two more of our older players were delisted.

And as you’ve pointed out several times, it’s the relative health of our first team over the last couple of years that has caused our younger players to miss the opportunity of playing more senior games. Nothing we can really do there.
Somebody here mentioned that Lions depth is superior to Suns. I disagreed with it. Then you jumped in.

OK, so if I now understand you correctly, you're saying that some of your young players on your depth who played zero or 1-2 AFL games are more talented that some players on Suns depth list who have AFL experience (Miles, Murdoch). If that's correct, yes, I could agree with that. The same I could say the other way. It's interesting that a lot of that talent optimism is based in my opinion on NEAFL performance. I watched Suns vs Lions at the Gabba when Suns had 9 academy kids and I can't remeber Smith, Hinge, Cox, Payne, Starcevich, Mathieson, Lester standing out before Suns kids run out of legs. Even Suns Schoenfeld can get 30+ posessions in NEAFL sometimes. So a lot of Lions fans hope is based on NEAFL games where Lions usually had 20-22 listed players vs 5-9 academy kids Swans, GWS, Suns played, forget other NEAFL teams.

So let's go through your depth by my eyes for fun.
Skinner - I liked him a lot early. After 3 ACL you worry that his next injury is his last.
Mathieson - if Miles is a placeholder (he is) so is Mathieson. I actually expected him to be delisted. OK, he's great in milking frees (no it's actually embarrassing in my eyes).
Lester - yes, by all means he is a great leader so is GHS. Thanks god for NEAFL where both can play.
Payne - looks like a great specimen but can he actually play AFL. Dominating practice. Sure. Let's see.
Birchall - he is not Hodge. Not sure you needed him. I would rather play young players.
Hinge - did not convince me he will make it. I actually expected him to be delisted.
Cox - some great flashes but can he actually deliver consistent effort both ways.
Starcevich - good signs, needs to play.
Smith - is he another Brodie who will need 4 years to develop other parts of his game.
Robertson - can he kick? I take Anderson, Flanders every time. If Anderson is in the best 22 round one (looks like) somebody has to go out (not bad depth).
Christensen - I actually liked him. I was a bit surprised that it took time for him to be extended.

Nothing wrong to have placeholders on your depth. In case of Suns I would say it's Murdoch, Miles. Pretty sure they will be replaced in 2 years and C Ellis and GHS as well. Regarding Burgess and Corbett I am much more optimistic. Both showed me enough in their first year that they will be valuable players for Suns similar to Holman, Lemmens.

If Lions dream injury run continues (looks like) it will be interesting to see what Fagan will do. I believe it was a mistake not to give more opportunities to young players the last year. Some of these young players may look around if they play only NEAFL again.

Enough on Lions from me.

When I said the Lions had better depth, I meant in terms of being ready for the AFL, not necessarily being more talented or more experienced.

Potentially I think our boys are more talented (and so they should be with all of our high draft picks - we won’t really know until they play), but the Lions have really got their act together and through a combination of an amazing run with injuries, and terrific form in the seniors, they’ve got a number of players who have been in their system for awhile but not been able to crack a game. Their bodies are more AFL ready than our boys due to more preseasons and they’ve also recruited bigger players. There’s some beasts on that list.

The fact that their senior side is more stable and performing better than ours has meant young players like Answerth have slotted in easily with great support around them. A youngster coming into our team to play in a back pocket or off a HBF is almost a baptism of fire.
Give us a good run with injuries (Ughh the “I“ word) for a couple of years and I’m confident our depth will surpass theirs given the talent on our list.

On tonight’s game, our squad has a combined 977 games experience compared to the Lions 1476 (or approx. 31 to 47 games per player). The Suns have 12 players with 0 games experience (9 first year players); whereas the Lions have 8 players with 0 games experience (No first year players I think?).
Hopefully the weather stays clear and we get to see some good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am pretty excited going to watch the first home game for the girls and then check out our young guns :)

Pretty disappointing the club is charging $20 for parking tomorrow, considering I already pay a premium for a parking pass for the season on top of my gold membership.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
10 car park attendants for 7 or 8 hours to cover the women and men at Saturday rates +costs
That's about $3 or $4000 in wages
They'll need to park 200 cars to just cover costs
But yeah,I get it we love free stuff

10 car park attendants for 7 or 8 hours to cover the women and men at Saturday rates +costs
That's about $3 or $4000 in wages
They'll need to park 200 cars to just cover costs
But yeah,I get it we love free stuff
Also I’m pretty sure the council own the car park over on Alabaster Dr, and I’m sure Tommy Tate ain’t giving it for free...

Unfortunately I feel like the only updates are are going to get are from the posters who attend. We might get quarter score updates from the club, but that's it.
Yeah, you are probably right, so.. people who are going; the rest of us need a blow by blow.

I enjoy reading your training reports for the Pies, Jen. Very informative. You don't happen to have a clone living on the GC do you? ;)

they always say everybody has a twin. Unfortunately can’t be in two places. But I’ll have to go to GC a few times a year. I’m going to Thailand in October so not sure I can make any interstate trips, but we will see. But thanks! Much appreciated. Nice to see non pies fans read my reports too

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

they always say everybody has a twin. Unfortunately can’t be in two places. But I’ll have to go to GC a few times a year. I’m going to Thailand in October so not sure I can make any interstate trips, but we will see. But thanks! Much appreciated. Nice to see non pies fans read my reports too

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have you booked your trip to Thailand yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back