Review AFL scratch match v Brisbane @ Metricon | Feb 15 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I assume many GC locals will be attending this one and we'll probably see a lot of Lions fans make the trip down the M1 as well. We did this last year and the club completely under predicted how many people were going to show up (they were expecting about 1k and got 5k IIRC) so hopefully they are better prepared this time. I'm super excited to see Rowell, Anderson and Rankine all play with our other exciting youngsters like Luko, Kingy, Ainsworth, Bowes and Brodie.

My first question: Wittsy is still injured so does that mean Zac Smith will ruck the majority of the game?

So just the kids really

will be great to see the new young players but I wouldn’t read too much into the result without a lot of senior guys missing
I see Zachary Smith's name listed. I wonder if Conroy and/or Murtagh will get a pinch hit in the ruck or if we'll just play them forward.

I see Zachary Smith's name listed. I wonder if Conroy and/or Murtagh will get a pinch hit in the ruck or if we'll just play them forward.
Probably forward with no King either... wonder if they’re testing him than risking an injury in the wet

Probably forward with no King either... wonder if they’re testing him than risking an injury in the wet
Hard to know but it would be a nightmare situation if King got injured in a scratch match because of the rain. I'm sure we can all handle waiting an extra week to see him line up against the Cats next Saturday.

Missing about half our A team. Will be interesting to see the strength of the Lions squad. Wondering if our team of shorties will suit what should be very soggy conditions. Will wait on the weather before I commit to go to this one. Supposed to be better on Saturday.

Don't sweat on the result, we smashed them in the scratchie last year and didn't come close to them in the home and away season. Just pray we get no more injuries and some our kids actually dominate
Result means absolutely nothing. Just looking for good signs from our new draftees and signs of improvement from our young guns like Bowes, Ainsworth and Brodie. Just really hoping the weather dries up a bit so we get to see some half decent skills.

Maybe smith and Wright or Conroy rucking

I imagine they are resting some players. To play in the marsh series

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lions depth and strength of their list is much better than ours, even given our extra list numbers. They’ll be able to put out a much more experienced and physically stronger team even if they rest half their senior team like we have done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I had to guess, we’ll rest:
Martin
Zorko
Neale
Rich
Lyons
Cameron
Gardiner
Robinson
McCarthy

Injured/Managed:
Christensen
Birchall
A. Smith
Skinner
Joyce

We might rest one or two younger players like McCluggage and Hipwood.

I’m genuinely excited to hear how Deven Robertson and Keidean Coleman go against your kids.

Lions depth and strength of their list is much better than ours, even given our extra list numbers. They’ll be able to put out a much more experienced and physically stronger team even if they rest half their senior team like we have done.
Did you see Lions depth? After best 27-28 they go with players with 0-2 AFL games, though some talented and with several years in a system. Yes, Lions best 22 is a way more experienced than us (100+ games, 25+ years) but regarding depth after best 22 I take ours.

This is Lions Emergency from Foxsport (one can argue about who is in the best 22): Grant Birchall, Ryan Lester, Allen Christensen, Deven Robertson. I would add Bailey, who I value, and Mathieson (average) and after that there is still some talent but no experience.

If Lions gets 5-6 injuries in the best 22 or several key players get injured I foresee significant drop off.

From the squad I'd be lining up like this

Mclennan Graham Buderick
Lukosius Burgess Murdoch
Anderson Bowes Lemmens
Ainsworth Wright Macpherson
Rankine Conroy Sexton

Smith Brodie Miller

Rowell Sharp Joyce Ellis

Rotation - the rest.

3. Jack Bowes
6. Alex Sexton
7. Will Brodie
9. Ben Ainsworth
11. Touk Miller
13. Jack Lukosius
15. Noah Anderson
17. Corey Ellis
18. Matt Rowell
22. Izak Rankine
23. Sean Lemmens
29. Chris Burgess
30. Peter Wright
31. Jordan Murdoch
32. Zac Smith
33. George Horlin-Smith
35. Connor Budarick
36. Josh Schoenfeld
37. Jeremy Sharp
38. Jesse Joyce
40. Jacob Heron
41. Malcolm Rosas Jnr
42. Patrick Murtagh
43. Jez McLennan
44. Darcy Macpherson
45. Jacob Dawson
46. Caleb Graham
47. Sam Fletcher
48. Matthew Conroy
50. Jy Farrar
51. Hewago Paul Oea

Mclennan Graham Buderick
Lukosius Burgess Murdoch
Anderson Bowes Lemmens
Ainsworth Wright Macpherson
Rankine Conroy Sexton

Smith Brodie Miller

Rowell Sharp Joyce Ellis

Rotation - the rest.
McLennan Graham Joyce
Lukosius Burgess Murdoch
Sharp Brodie Anderson
Ainsworth Murtagh Sexton
Macpherson Wright Rankine

Smith Bowes Miller

Rowell Lemmens Budarick Rosas

Did you see Lions depth? After best 27-28 they go with players with 0-2 AFL games, though some talented and with several years in a system. Yes, Lions best 22 is a way more experienced than us (100+ games, 25+ years) but regarding depth after best 22 I take ours.

This is Lions Emergency from Foxsport (one can argue about who is in the best 22): Grant Birchall, Ryan Lester, Allen Christensen, Deven Robertson. I would add Bailey, who I value, and Mathieson (average) and after that there is still some talent but no experience.

If Lions gets 5-6 injuries in the best 22 or several key players get injured I foresee significant drop off.
Ok friendly discussion.

The difference is, it’s some of our depth with few or no AFL games experience, while it’s a few of your best 22 with few to none AFL experience.

Yep, you’ve got some depth players with a fair few games of experience. I’d rate some of our less experienced “kids” as being more talented than your experienced depth.

We’re at the point where we haven’t had to gift some of our talented draftees games, because they’re better than the more experienced players on our list. Which is exactly where we were at in 2017 when Berry and Witherden walked in to our best 22, along with McCluggage, because our list lacked talent and depth.

We have deliberately delisted a lot of experienced players over the last 3 years because they’re not as talented as the kids we have drafted in.

And you’re right, it was only our good run with injuries that saw many of our less experienced, younger kids not get a chance to play AFL.

My best 22.

Witherden Adams Gardiner
Ah Che Andrews Rich

Robertson Neale McCluggage
Martin Lyons CEY

Cameron Hipwood Zorko
McCarthy McStay Rayner

Bench: Answerth, Bailey, Berry, McInerney.

Depth: Birchall*, Christensen, Mathieson, Lester, Starcevich, Ely Smith, Robertson, Cox, Payne, Hinge, Skinner*.

You’re right, some of our depth has very little experience. But they are talented non the less. And they have mature bodies as TheSunGod mentioned.

I’m a semi regular at Lions training. I attend most Wednesday afternoons, and some of the Friday practice matches not held at Burpengary.

I’ve seen our players a lot this preseason. With the exception of Christensen who is in rehab after minor off season surgery, and draftee Deven Robertson, all the above depth players have rotated through our A team during practice matches.

The only queries I have are, if Birchall will be ready by round 1, and if the club will put faith in Skinner holding up to a full season at AFL level.

Jack Payne has been monstering all our forwards, doesn’t matter which team he’s on. And Skinner has provided what McStay hasn’t up forward. A reliable marking target, and good set shot.

Deven Robertson has been right up there with Ely Smith as next best inside mid after Mathieson for the reserves.

Pretty disappointing the club is charging $20 for parking tomorrow, considering I already pay a premium for a parking pass for the season on top of my gold membership.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bummer.
Is that for the practice match, the AFLW match or both?
Last year it was free from memory.
Are they running the free shuttle buses from Nerang station / Pacific Fair?

Bummer.
Is that for the practice match, the AFLW match or both?
Last year it was free from memory.
Are they running the free shuttle buses from Nerang station / Pacific Fair?

TRANSPORT INFO
If you wish to catch FREE transport on Surfside Buses, G:Link or Queensland Rail, you will need to show your SUNS or Tigers membership card or register for a ticket here. Please note that a ticket to the game is not required if you do not wish to utilise this free transport.
Regular match day shuttle buses will be running from Boowaggan Road Park'n'Ride, South Broadbeach Station and Nerang Station. More info regarding transport, click here.
The Blue Car Park (opposite) the Stadium will be open from 2pm this Saturday. Spaces are limited, and will be on a first come, first served basis. Once exhausted, there are no other parking options on-site. There is a $20 charge, payment can be made via cash of eftpos.

Pretty disappointing the club is charging $20 for parking tomorrow, considering I already pay a premium for a parking pass for the season on top of my gold membership.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I get what you’re saying but at least it’s free entry

If parking was free every Neanderthal Brisbane fan would fill the car park

Missing from my Suns best 22 vs Lions:

Suns 14 - Harbrow, Thompson, Collins, B. Ellis, Greenwood, King, Day, Witts, Swallow, Weller, Fiorini, Hanley, Ballard, Powell

Lions 7 - Gardiner, Andrews, Robinson, Neale, McCluggage, Martin, Zorko

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back