Review AFL scratch match v Brisbane @ Metricon | Feb 15 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Weather update for those not on the Gold Coast. It's currently 33 degrees and sunny with blue skies. No sign of any rain for the rest of the day/night.

Looks like we're going to get two dry games today.

Somebody here mentioned that Lions depth is superior to Suns. I disagreed with it. Then you jumped in.

OK, so if I now understand you correctly, you're saying that some of your young players on your depth who played zero or 1-2 AFL games are more talented that some players on Suns depth list who have AFL experience (Miles, Murdoch). If that's correct, yes, I could agree with that. The same I could say the other way. It's interesting that a lot of that talent optimism is based in my opinion on NEAFL performance. I watched Suns vs Lions at the Gabba when Suns had 9 academy kids and I can't remeber Smith, Hinge, Cox, Payne, Starcevich, Mathieson, Lester standing out before Suns kids run out of legs. Even Suns Schoenfeld can get 30+ posessions in NEAFL sometimes. So a lot of Lions fans hope is based on NEAFL games where Lions usually had 20-22 listed players vs 5-9 academy kids Swans, GWS, Suns played, forget other NEAFL teams.

So let's go through your depth by my eyes for fun.
Skinner - I liked him a lot early. After 3 ACL you worry that his next injury is his last.
Mathieson - if Miles is a placeholder (he is) so is Mathieson. I actually expected him to be delisted. OK, he's great in milking frees (no it's actually embarrassing in my eyes).
Lester - yes, by all means he is a great leader so is GHS. Thanks god for NEAFL where both can play.
Payne - looks like a great specimen but can he actually play AFL. Dominating practice. Sure. Let's see.
Birchall - he is not Hodge. Not sure you needed him. I would rather play young players.
Hinge - did not convince me he will make it. I actually expected him to be delisted.
Cox - some great flashes but can he actually deliver consistent effort both ways.
Starcevich - good signs, needs to play.
Smith - is he another Brodie who will need 4 years to develop other parts of his game.
Robertson - can he kick? I take Anderson, Flanders every time. If Anderson is in the best 22 round one (looks like) somebody has to go out (not bad depth).
Christensen - I actually liked him. I was a bit surprised that it took time for him to be extended.

Nothing wrong to have placeholders on your depth. In case of Suns I would say it's Murdoch, Miles. Pretty sure they will be replaced in 2 years and C Ellis and GHS as well. Regarding Burgess and Corbett I am much more optimistic. Both showed me enough in their first year that they will be valuable players for Suns similar to Holman, Lemmens.

If Lions dream injury run continues (looks like) it will be interesting to see what Fagan will do. I believe it was a mistake not to give more opportunities to young players the last year. Some of these young players may look around if they play only NEAFL again.

Enough on Lions from me.
Yeah, enough on the Lions list.

I don’t disagree with most of what you’ve said.

We (Lions fans) don’t rate the NEAFL. We want a national reserves comp.

I generally rate the more recent (2018 & 2019) Suns draftees higher than the Lions draftees, primarily because they’re higher picks and were higher rated as U18’s.

So eventually I expect the Suns to have one of the top lists in the comp, with some good depth.

But at the moment the Suns list looks pretty similar to what the Lions list looked like in 2016, albeit with a greater number of high end kids, and fewer “list cloggers”.

Ok friendly discussion.

The difference is, it’s some of our depth with few or no AFL games experience, while it’s a few of your best 22 with few to none AFL experience.

Yep, you’ve got some depth players with a fair few games of experience. I’d rate some of our less experienced “kids” as being more talented than your experienced depth.

We’re at the point where we haven’t had to gift some of our talented draftees games, because they’re better than the more experienced players on our list. Which is exactly where we were at in 2017 when Berry and Witherden walked in to our best 22, along with McCluggage, because our list lacked talent and depth.

We have deliberately delisted a lot of experienced players over the last 3 years because they’re not as talented as the kids we have drafted in.

And you’re right, it was only our good run with injuries that saw many of our less experienced, younger kids not get a chance to play AFL.

My best 22.

Witherden Adams Gardiner
Ah Che Andrews Rich

Robertson Neale McCluggage
Martin Lyons CEY

Cameron Hipwood Zorko
McCarthy McStay Rayner

Bench: Answerth, Bailey, Berry, McInerney.

Depth: Birchall*, Christensen, Mathieson, Lester, Starcevich, Ely Smith, Robertson, Cox, Payne, Hinge, Skinner*.

You’re right, some of our depth has very little experience. But they are talented non the less. And they have mature bodies as TheSunGod mentioned.

I’m a semi regular at Lions training. I attend most Wednesday afternoons, and some of the Friday practice matches not held at Burpengary.

I’ve seen our players a lot this preseason. With the exception of Christensen who is in rehab after minor off season surgery, and draftee Deven Robertson, all the above depth players have rotated through our A team during practice matches.

The only queries I have are, if Birchall will be ready by round 1, and if the club will put faith in Skinner holding up to a full season at AFL level.

Jack Payne has been monstering all our forwards, doesn’t matter which team he’s on. And Skinner has provided what McStay hasn’t up forward. A reliable marking target, and good set shot.

Deven Robertson has been right up there with Ely Smith as next best inside mid after Mathieson for the reserves.

Yep things are different now and the amount of impressive talent building outside the best 22 is insane.

10 car park attendants for 7 or 8 hours to cover the women and men at Saturday rates +costs
That's about $3 or $4000 in wages
They'll need to park 200 cars to just cover costs
But yeah,I get it we love free stuff

I’m not after a free hit, I curently pay parking for the year on top of my family membership and in all previous years it’s included these practise matches, for some reason this year it doesn’t

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not after a free hit, I curently pay parking for the year on top of my family membership and in all previous years it’s included these practise matches, for some reason this year it doesn’t

I pay for parking too- which presumably covers match days for the AFL
Are you an AFLW member?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pay for parking too- which presumably covers match days for the AFL
Are you an AFLW member?

Hey Sandy,

Yea I’m a AFLW member also, it’s all good I’m not to stressed about it just would of been a nice touch like other years to help the supporters coming to a trail game with some parking at the game if there paying members.

;)

Hoping someone can provide detailed updates from this game. I was gonna head down but I'm knackered.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Will Brodie looking like we all hope he can be
Getting ballGood delivery Overhead marks
2MP still “ nearly”
Sexy getting some touches
Delivery to targets still bad
Pressure acts good
Brisbane ahead due to some individual efforts
Commenced 2020 in decent Lions sniper form too
I guess you never lose it
Speaking of which I just bought a coffee with Luke Hodge

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app