Review AFL scratch match v Brisbane @ Metricon | Feb 15 2020

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
1st March is Sunday......Feb has 29 days this year...

Although we play Geelong Saturday Feb 22nd....7.40pm at Metricon....

Haha I’m sure Jen meant Marsh Series (renamed JLT community series)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
From what I saw Fletcher, Rowell , Sharpe good, Rosa did ok but maybe tried to do too much. Conroy, Murtagh long way off , Farrah did a couple things. Poor Ace don’t think he may appear again at this level
Not surprised at all, Murtagh is a rookie B, Ace is an international rookie. Project players kind of hit and misses.Just look at other club rookie B.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't want to start a flame war regarding junior player development here on the Coast but I was surprised we have listed Ace- I guess he's a free hit as an International player?
I would have persisted with Greenwool I have to say in that role, but list pressure may have decided his fate in the end

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Most frustrating for me was Wright. Yes, difficult conditions but almost marks is not good enough. I would not be surprised at all if he starts season in NEAFL especially if lean Day plays well in remaining pre-season matches.

I was trying to be diplomatic about 2MP
I've been a big supporter of his and have hoped he'd improve when there was less pressure on him as the number 1 forward
While last night wasn't great for overhead marking the truth is that some of the Lions forwards clunked some beauties
No clunking from Pete I'm afraid

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
I was trying to be diplomatic about 2MP
I've been a big supporter of his and have hoped he'd improve when there was less pressure on him as the number 1 forward
While last night wasn't great for overhead marking the truth is that some of the Lions forwards clunked some beauties
No clunking from Pete I'm afraid
I had this concern about Pete before we drafted him and sort of conceded I was maybe wrong after he started well at AFL but looks like I'm unfortunately right. The issue is between his ears and I don't think he'll ever develop in to what we hope.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
We should experiment with just the single key forward (King) and just play with more mobile players. Focus our goals through the likes of Ainsworth and Sexton.

Agree we have plenty of mid-small forwards who all capable of applying pressure and leading up the ground and hitting up targets.

Eg. rankine sexton McPherson lemmens Ainsworth Holman Flanders corbett farrar

Even greenwood and Anderson have experience playing as a tall forward

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We brought some serious forward pressure in the first half despite Schoenfeld played there too (I could not believe it). Sexton, Ainsworth, Rankine, Macpherson, King, Lemmens.
Agree we have plenty of mid-small forwards who all capable of applying pressure and leading up the ground and hitting up targets.

Eg. rankine sexton McPherson lemmens Ainsworth Holman Flanders corbett farrar

Even greenwood and Anderson have experience playing as a tall forward
We did bring some serious pressure in the first half. I thought Lemmens was outstanding in that aspect. He went 110%, no doubt trying to impress, fighting for the place in the best 22. Ainsworth, Lemmens, Sexton, King, Mcpherson, Rankine would be not bad forward set up.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Missed the first 10 minutes or so of the first quarter thanks to the schmozzle outside the stadium with road blockages / car parks etc. but thoughts on individual players below -

3. Jack Bowes - didn’t notice a lot of Jack tbh - seems to have bulked up a bit and was played in defence a lot which is not where I like to see him 5/10
6. Alex Sexton - another who didn’t have a lot of say on proceedings - looked to be out there just to blow off the cobwebs 4/10
7. Will Brodie - one of our best - great in tight and combined well with Rowell. Looks to have improved his run and spread - 8/10
9. Ben Ainsworth - impressive from what I saw. Hopefully can stay fit this year. Showed good skills especially by hand, speed, and overhead marking - 7/10
11. Touk Miller - played a normal Touk game - solid and dependable without starring 6/10
13. Jack Lukosius - didn’t seem to do a lot but showed a few glimpses of class - 4.5/10
15. Noah Anderson - very impressive- runs and runs, wins his own ball when required, beautiful kick, he and Rowell have some kind of telepathy- kept finding each other, very good chance of a Round 1 debut IMO - 7/10
17. Corey Ellis - didn’t notice him other than 1 or 2 possessions - 2/10
18. Matt Rowell - WOW!! Ball magnet, clean hands in thick traffic, DOES NOT FUMBLE, almost always finds a teammate by hand or foot, tough (got smashed by bigger bodies numerous times but just got up as if it was nothing, will be in our first midfield rotation from Round 1!! - 8/10
22. Izak Rankine - Didn’t have a great amount of influence but showed how classy he is with a great steal and goal, good pressure on Brisbane’s defence with speed and tackling - 5/10
23. Sean Lemmens - OK didn’t do a lot and had some usual Lemmens brain fades / poor decisions / trying to do too much - 5/10
29. Chris Burgess - Played well in defence I thought 6/10
30. Peter Wright - Had plenty of chances but just couldn’t hold onto his marks - 5/10
31. Jordan Murdoch - OK without doing anything of note - 5/10
32. Zac Smith - OK in the ruck, still can’t take a mark to save himself - 5/10
33. George Horlin-Smith - Too Slow / Doesn’t get enough of it - 3/10
35. Connor Budarick - Showed a bit IMO with good speed, tenacity at man and ball and skills albeit with a few errors - should be a future player for us - 5/10
36. Josh Schoenfeld - woeful - errors cost us a couple of goals, one paced, bad decision making, got caught numerous times trying to do too much, the speed of the game seemed to much for him - 1.5/10
37. Jeremy Sharp - another who really impressed, great size already, runs well at speed, sure hands and good disposal by foot, should play a few games this year unless we get an unbelievable run with injuries - 6/10
38. Jesse Joyce - solid without being spectacular - 5.5/10
40. Jacob Heron - didn’t do much 2/10
41. Malcolm Rosas Jnr - has some serious wheels and moves, just needs better traction, could form a lethal combination with Izak in a few years - 4/10
42. Patrick Murtagh - Looks a million $$$, but clearly an athlete not a footballer at this stage, outpositioned numerous times by opponents - 2/10
43. Jez McLennan - did well I thought from limited opportunities, definitely on the improve - 4.5/10
44. Darcy Macpherson - like Touk - played well but just warming up, rested second half I think - 5/10
45. Jacob Dawson - played well I thought, got plenty of ball, outbodied and outmarked bigger opponents on a few occasions - 6/10
46. Caleb Graham - another on the improve - solid defensive work and spoiling - 6/10
47. Sam Fletcher - OK but a bit slow for my liking, needs to take the first option more frequently - 4.5/10
48. Matthew Conroy - didn’t notice him alot tbh other than standing at the interchange - 1.5/10
50. Jy Farrar - seems to have good speed but was matched up on Marcus Adams and didn’t have a lot of influence - 3/10
51. Hewago Paul Oea - not much from Ace - will be interesting to see how he progresses, still very small and slight especially around the shoulders - 1.5/10

Overall the game was a scrappy one as to be expected given the conditions and personnel; players were definitely cracking in though, especially in the second half. I get the feeling there’s not a lot of love between the 2 teams. Lions class and experience from a few players like McCarthy, Birchall, Lyons and better run in the last helped get them over the line.
Good effort from our boys though against a more experienced outfit.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If we don't get Thompson Collins Ballard and even to some degree Hombsch back we're pretty well stuffed btw
Despite some really decent pressure from Burgo last night it's obvious if we're relying on him and Luko to lock down 2 or 3 KPFs we're going to get hammered
Yeah, pretty damn shaky tall defence relying on Thompson, Collins, Ballard who have all had multiple injuries in their careers.
Definitely need a 195+ strong bodied defender. Think we've got to target a free agent / trade for someone rather than purely drafting and waiting for development. ala Lions with Marcus Adams.

Someone at the level of Joel Hamling, Alex Pearce,
Younger and probably more gettable: Ryan Garthwaite, Jack Payne,

Granger-Barrass rated top 5-10 in next years draft but will be 2024 by the time he is top flight.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Missed the first 10 minutes or so of the first quarter thanks to the schmozzle outside the stadium with road blockages / car parks etc. but thoughts on individual players below -

3. Jack Bowes - didn’t notice a lot of Jack tbh - seems to have bulked up a bit and was played in defence a lot which is not where I like to see him 5/10
6. Alex Sexton - another who didn’t have a lot of say on proceedings - looked to be out there just to blow off the cobwebs 4/10
7. Will Brodie - one of our best - great in tight and combined well with Rowell. Looks to have improved his run and spread - 8/10
9. Ben Ainsworth - impressive from what I saw. Hopefully can stay fit this year. Showed good skills especially by hand, speed, and overhead marking - 7/10
11. Touk Miller - played a normal Touk game - solid and dependable without starring 6/10
13. Jack Lukosius - didn’t seem to do a lot but showed a few glimpses of class - 4.5/10
15. Noah Anderson - very impressive- runs and runs, wins his own ball when required, beautiful kick, he and Rowell have some kind of telepathy- kept finding each other, very good chance of a Round 1 debut IMO - 7/10
18. Matt Rowell - WOW!! Ball magnet, clean hands in thick traffic, DOES NOT FUMBLE, almost always finds a teammate by hand or foot, tough (got smashed by bigger bodies numerous times but just got up as if it was nothing, will be in our first midfield rotation from Round 1!! - 8/10
22. Izak Rankine - Didn’t have a great amount of influence but showed how classy he is with a great steal and goal, good pressure on Brisbane’s defence with speed and tackling - 5/10
23. Sean Lemmens - OK didn’t do a lot and had some usual Lemmens brain fades / poor decisions / trying to do too much - 5/10
30. Peter Wright - Had plenty of chances but just couldn’t hold onto his marks - 5/10
35. Connor Budarick - Showed a bit IMO with good speed, tenacity at man and ball and skills albeit with a few errors - should be a future player for us - 5/10
36. Josh Schoenfeld - woeful - errors cost us a couple of goals, one paced, bad decision making, got caught numerous times trying to do too much, the speed of the game seemed to much for him - 1.5/10
37. Jeremy Sharp - another who really impressed, great size already, runs well at speed, sure hands and good disposal by foot, should play a few games this year unless we get an unbelievable run with injuries - 6/10
41. Malcolm Rosas Jnr - has some serious wheels and moves, just needs better traction, could form a lethal combination with Izak in a few years - 4/10
42. Patrick Murtagh - Looks a million $$$, but clearly an athlete not a footballer at this stage, outpositioned numerous times by opponents - 2/10
43. Jez McLennan - did well I thought from limited opportunities, definitely on the improve - 4.5/10
44. Darcy Macpherson - like Touk - played well but just warming up, rested second half I think - 5/10
45. Jacob Dawson - played well I thought, got plenty of ball, outbodied and outmarked bigger opponents on a few occasions - 6/10
46. Caleb Graham - another on the improve - solid defensive work and spoiling - 6/10
47. Sam Fletcher - OK but a bit slow for my liking, needs to take the first option more frequently - 4.5/10
48. Matthew Conroy - didn’t notice him alot tbh other than standing at the interchange - 1.5/10
50. Jy Farrar - seems to have good speed but was matched up on Marcus Adams and didn’t have a lot of influence - 3/10
51. Hewago Paul Oea - not much from Ace - will be interesting to see how he progresses, still very small and slight especially around the shoulders - 1.5/10

Overall the game was a scrappy one as to be expected given the conditions and personnel; players were definitely cracking in though, especially in the second half. I get the feeling there’s not a lot of love between the 2 teams. Lions class and experience from a few players like McCarthy, Birchall, Lyons and better run in the last helped get them over the line.
Thanks for the updated.
Really excited to see some of our youngsters this year.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

I think using Bowes as a general in the backline is a move worth persisting with as we don't have many classy players in that area and the midfield rotation is starting to become a log jam.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think using Bowes as a general in the backline is a move worth persisting with as we don't have many classy players in that area and the midfield rotation is starting to become a log jam.
True we’re starting to build some depth in the midfield and lack class down back, but my concern is he’s not the quickest bloke going around and struggles a bit on the faster small / medium forwards. After watching him play both previously, I think he’s a better midfielder than defender. I like him setting up forays forward of centre, he’s not a bad overhead mark, and can kick a goal. Wouldn’t mind him changing with Greenwood in the forward line.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey guys I watched all four quarters last night. Really enjoyed watching Rowell. He is so clean/composed and I love his dual sided kicking. Reminds me of a combination between Sam Mitchell and Lachie Neale. Noah Anderson also impressed me and I loved Rankine's goal. You guys must be excited about adding Rankine, Rowell and Anderson to your senior team this year? I watch all the Suns games being on FTA TV here in Queensland and I know I'm pumped to watch those guys play for you! Best of luck for the year guys, you're building a super talented young list!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hey guys I watched all four quarters last night. Really enjoyed watching Rowell. He is so clean/composed and I love his dual sided kicking. Reminds me of a combination between Sam Mitchell and Lachie Neale. Noah Anderson also impressed me and I loved Rankine's goal. You guys must be excited about adding Rankine, Rowell and Anderson to your senior team this year? I watch all the Suns games being on FTA TV here in Queensland and I know I'm pumped to watch those guys play for you! Best of luck for the year guys, you're building a super talented young list!
Yes, excited by our young talent but being tempered by growing injury list again. Already lost Ballard, Powell, Miles for half of the season, Riordan for a year and then there is a group of 12 players in rehab who knows when they will be ready - Fiorini, Witts, Collins, Hombsh, Harbrow, Thompson, Holman, Flanders, Corbett, Day. Half could be still out round 1. Hardly an ideal preparation for the season.

Did you like Sharp?

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, pretty damn shaky tall defence relying on Thompson, Collins, Ballard who have all had multiple injuries in their careers.
Definitely need a 195+ strong bodied defender. Think we've got to target a free agent / trade for someone rather than purely drafting and waiting for development. ala Lions with Marcus Adams.

Granger-Barrass rated top 5-10 in next years draft but will be 2024 by the time he is top flight.

I was actually surprised you guys didn't make a real run at Payne this offseason. I think the kid will be a star once he gets his chance.

Reading a bit of talk on 2MP. For me I always thought he had the potential to be one of the best rucks in the competition. Obviously he needs to focus more on his actual ruck work but he has good size and bulk and he moves really well around the ground for a guy his size. Skills are nice and he would be a good mark for a ruckman. As a forward I thought he always looked a decent second banana but in the ruck was where he could really excel. It is a bit of a shame that ruck is one area where you guys are actually well off.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree with Quigs. Think he could make a good ruck and will be keen to see if he plays many minutes there in the preseason. In training I imagine he's been playing ruck against Smith.

There was a clip earlier in the preseason showing wright beating smith easily in the ruck

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Sorry for the intrusion. I believe young Payne has extended with the Lions until 2021? But arguably contracts can be broken. I suppose if he doesn't break into the Lions, being a QLDer he might be keen to move for an opportunity, and still stay in SEQ. He is big at 100kg and approx 198cm and surprisingly fast and athletic for his size. With Andrews and Gardner as locks, and Adams currently in best 22, Payne's opportunities at the Lions may be limited.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

From the little I have seen Grainger-Barras is an absolute gun. Early to say but I think he'll be a top 5 selection in next years draft. If you guys have a pick in that range he'd be the perfect get I reckon to compliment your exisiting young talent.

Back