AFL Season headed towards postponement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting technical with your terminology there mate.

LukeParkerno1 said the following:

Despite the fact that NSW does use Lockdowns to control COVID outbreaks when it's required.

I get that you're defensive over your home state, but let's deal in facts here rather than overinflated opinion and ego.

We have had 1 city wide lockdown, 1 lockdown in a part of the city. We haven’t had a state wide one yet. I live in the central west and we haven’t been locked down yet.

Nothing to do with pride.
I loathe Gladys and think she is a woeful premier but NSW health don’t jump the gun in this and are able to handle it without going overboard.

We have had 1 city wide lockdown, 1 lockdown in a part of the city. We haven’t had a state wide one yet. I live in the central west and we haven’t been locked down yet.

I loathe Gladys and think she is a woeful premier but NSW health don’t jump the gun in this and are able to handle it without going overboard.

The bolded comment is where you come unstuck--- either you've got a horrible memory or you're a straight up liar.

As I said, can we please focus on talking about things with facts.

Hawthorn president and former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett fears the state’s lockdown could be extended by “a number of weeks”, warning it could mean the AFL season is “heading towards a postponement of some sort”.

Victoria is currently in its fourth COVID-19 lockdown, with nine new locally acquired cases recorded in the past 24 hours, six of which were already reported yesterday.

With the AFL’s Round 12 fixture set to move all Victorian games interstate, Kennett said the league’s immediate future could be impacted by even tighter border restrictions from the rest of the country.

“I think we will have to wait probably until later this week to see if Victoria extends its lockdown and in particular if New South Wales locks its borders against Victorians travelling,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“If that happens, I think it is almost impossible for the AFL to be able to continue its season at the moment because we’ve been locked out of everywhere. It makes it very, very difficult.

“I am sure the players and the administrations of clubs will do whatever it can to keep the season alive, but the challenge before the AFL at the moment is more serious than it was this time last year and I think all options have got to be considered.”

While Kennett could not confirm whether the state’s lockdown would be extended beyond June 3, he revealed a correspondence with “a very good source” that suggested it was on the cards.

“I got a message last night to indicate that the length of the lockdown might be a number of weeks, which is frightening if correct,” he said.

“If that were the case I don’t see how the season can continue at present. That is, I wonder whether we might be heading towards a postponement of some sort.

“I was told an end date, described to me as a number of weeks ... I was told on Thursday, I can’t believe they’ll wait that long, which is why I am questioning the information I got although it came from a very good source.”
The less time we spend listening to a failed and conflicted politician like Kennett the better we all will be

You made a racially charged suggestion based upon misinformation. Do you see how it comes across as a rant when you can't get your facts rights?
Suggesting we shouldn't have opened our borders to India while the virus is running absolutely rampant is hardly racist.

Or NSW has been lucky?

NSW has had multiple breaches where they didn't know the source. The one instance that had got away before detection just happened to be in an enclavey type areas

Worst thing that could happen is Sydney cops something like Melbourne has at the moment where
-a more contagious variety gets out
-in the winter months
-in a part of Sydney where there is a lot more movement
-a couple of weeks without circulation

....and they hold off a week without locking down thinking they can reel it in.

Suggesting we shouldn't have opened our borders to India while the virus is running absolutely rampant is hardly racist.

Implying that the current Victorian outbreak is linked to the re commencement of flights from India when their is no clear link between the two does indicate ignorance and an false implication of the situation

Are you okay? Like seriously?

Live concerts, regional sport, huge crowds, interstate travel... They've all been pretty much as close to normal as we hoped for the majority of the year.
Are you insane? What are you on? Seek immediate psychiatric assistance! Nothing has returned to normal this year, the CBD has been a ghost town for ages, events have been cancelled and while we have tried real hard to return to some sort of normality we have dropped the ball again because people think (wrongly) this was all over. It's this kind of mad thinking that has caught us all napping. Victoria is full of ignorant, imbeciles! This current lock down is the worst yet because people actually believed it was over here, it was never over and most Victorians were caught with their pants down around their ankles.

Getting technical with your terminology there mate.

LukeParkerno1 said the following:

Despite the fact that NSW does use Lockdowns to control COVID outbreaks when it's required.

I get that you're defensive over your home state, but let's deal in facts here rather than overinflated opinion and ego.
NSW will lockdown a particular area, not the rest of the State.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me which state had citizens locked down over Christmas?

Wasn’t the whole state, a portion of the state. We’ve dealt with it the right way. Tried to limit the strain on businesses and we’ve gone about life in a controlled manner

Implying that the current Victorian outbreak is linked to the re commencement of flights from India when their is no clear link between the two does indicate ignorance and an false implication of the situation
The man who contracted COVID in SA's hotel quarantine was a returned traveller from India.

I'm not sure if the media has reported where the person he contracted it arrived from, but it would be possible they were also a returned traveller from India, right?

Hasn't it also been reported that it is the Indian variant that we have in Victoria, which we can confirm via genomic sequencing?

The man who contracted COVID in SA's hotel quarantine was a returned traveller from India.

I'm not sure if the media has reported where the person he contracted it arrived from, but it would be possible they were also a returned traveller from India, right?

Hasn't it also been reported that it is the Indian variant that we have in Victoria, which we can confirm via genomic sequencing?

That is correct

player being precious again
dont want to play, fine, dont play and dont get paid
club cant field team, then fine they forfeit

seems more and more the clubs and players dictating terms
The AFL are not doing this for shits n giggles
its called a pandemic, where everyone has to suck it up and take one for the team at times, even these prima donn players

There are people who are without any income every time we get locked down an players complain about locked in a resort HUB for several weeks

Last year we postponed for 3 months before the hub was organised, just exactly how are we going to do that within the next couple of weeks?
The Victorian teams hubbing was organised in 1 week between Rounds 5 and 6 last year, they can pull that trigger in under 2 days if they wanted to.

The AFL would be wise to just get the teams to Sydney now, this will only be 2-3 weeks till normality is returned to Victoria, it’s not like last year in terms of case numbers at all

As I posted previously—- the South Australian Hotel Quarantine outbreak occurred while the Indian flight restrictions were in place.

Recommencing flights from India to Australia has no impact on the current Victorian situation.

God forbid it spirals out of control but how would the AFL go if the Grand Final had to be relocated again?

As long as they can get a patch of grass from the MCG they'll be fine.

Saying closing our borders to other states is fine
If we did the same to NZ, that would be fine
Say India, that's racist, oh no~!

You are a brainwashed, non thinking buffoon and the media is to blame.

Let’s throw around personal insults rather than look at the facts—- the South Australian HQ outbreak would’ve occurred either way—- as flights from India were suspended when the Wollert man got the virus.

seems more and more the clubs and players dictating terms
The AFL are not doing this for shits n giggles
its called a pandemic, where everyone has to suck it up and take one for the team at times, even these prima donn players

There are people who are without any income every time we get locked down an players complain about locked in a resort HUB for several weeks
Isn't the suggestion that they're want to stay at home to look after immediate family?

Who's your most important team?

We were doing fine the past few months until SA gave us COVID. Perhaps we shouldn't have opened up to India.

I mean, Victorians are now locked out of other states, we have single digit cases per day. Yet we let people come into the country from India, with what, +100k cases per day.

Logic doesn't seem to hold.

I find it incredulous we are letting people in from overseas, especially places like India.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back