Game Day AFL Semi-Final - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Geelong(Gabba – 7:40PM EDT)

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Yes, but being in each others face, day in day out, would be a testing time. Not all players had family or partners there, and even if they did, it us still tough being away from your home and a somewhat normal routine...
But I could say exactly the same for people at home with their brothers, sisters and partners! How is that any different? At least they could get out and swim or play golf and run around kicking a footy. We can walk around our bloody block and that's it! They had a weekly game to focus on. We are just staring at the walls of our house every day! Many Victorians have lost their job or are unable to work. We can be fined or arrested if we don't wear a mask at all times. It's been a long dark cold winter while they have been in warm sunshine for weeks.

Can I ask you a simple question? Do you seriously believe the players, if given a choice, would have preferred to stay here in Victoria in lockdown for three months without being able to see friends or family, swim at the beach or local pool or play a round of golf? I do understand there would have been moments of strain but to suggest they have made some enormous sacrifice just to entertain us is a bit of a stretch. We've all been locked up for months with no end in sight.

As it turned out, they ended up being in the hub was a better option than staying in a Vic lockdown, but that wasn't the case when the season first re-started. throw in the scheduling - a lot was asked of footy players this year. I think they deserve some applause for the their efforts - despite the shocker in the last game.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
As it turned out, they ended up being in the hub was a better option than staying in a Vic lockdown, but that wasn't the case when the season first re-started. throw in the scheduling - a lot was asked of footy players this year. I think they deserve some applause for the their efforts - despite the shocker in the last game.
If that's the case, all Victorians deserve a standing ovation along with a huge bouquet of flowers!

People are just looking for excuses mate. Players even bought the damn Nannys with them...oh the horror.
Not using it as an excuse. I think we were a rubbish team this year and tonight's performance was awful but pretty reflective of where we were at. Still think players deserve applause for having kept the show on the road.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
But I could say exactly the same for people at home with their brothers, sisters and partners! How is that any different? At least they could get out and swim or play golf and run around kicking a footy. We can walk around our bloody block and that's it! They had a weekly game to focus on. Many Victorians have lost their job or are unable to work. We can be fined or arrested if we don't wear a mask at all times. It's been a long dark cold winter while they have been in warm sunshine for weeks.

That's totally different. I know we have been struggling here, but at least we were in our own surroundings. If l had to see the people l work with every day and night, it would do my head in. Clubs who didn't make finals, say the hub was one of the hardest things they did. Shaun Burgoyne stated that about the Hawks, they struggled to adapt to hublife.
These blokes have had to live and breath footy every day and night in the hub, with no escape from it. That would be mentally draining.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not using it as an excuse. I think we were a rubbish team this year and tonight's performance was awful but pretty reflective of where we were at. Still think players deserve applause for having kept the show on the road.

If they werent AFL players theyd be playing local leagues for free most of them during covid (if in areas allowed) or not. Yet they are paid 300k to a mil pa to do it while having their arse wiped for them in luxury resorts.

Flying to WA to play a gsme of footy is not a soul destroying thing to go through many normal people faired much worse in Vic and abroad.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
You are the one who overreacted! You'd think I just suggested the supporters throw rocks at the players as they left the ground. Standing ovations are reserved for special performances be it on stage or the sporting field. That's it. That's all I said.

So you don't feel that the clubs efforts across the season warrant a standing ovation. Fine, that's your choice.

Your overreaction began at the point where you felt the need to lambast fellow supporters who felt differently. I get that you're frustrated but we should never, ever eat our own.

And in answer to your original question toward me - there isn't a circumstance where I wouldn't stand and applaud our boys as they went off the field at the end of our final game for a number of reasons, their efforts across the year, the sacrifices they've had to make, the times they've played through injury and, last but not least for their service to the club, especially for players who might have played their last game with us.

If they werent AFL players theyd be playing local leagues for free most of them during covid (if in areas allowed) or not. Yet they are paid 300k to a mil pa to do it while having their arse wiped for them in luxury resorts.

Flying to WA to play a gsme of footy is not a soul destroying thing to go through many normal people faired much worse in Vic and abroad.

Don't disagree with much of that. Think it's ridiculous that guys like Grundy are paid as much as the Prime Minister. But still think you're forgetting that a lof of them are kids who were forced into a position where they might not have wanted to be and had to stay in that position for months. Agree that that has been the same for the entire population of Victoria in particular, but most Vics probably haven't been at their most consistent best either and have had some shocking days.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
That's totally different. I know we have been struggling here, but at least we were in our own surroundings. If l had to see the people l work with every day and night, it would do my head in. Clubs who didn't make finals, say the hub was one if the hardest things they did. Shaun Burgoyne stated that about the Hawks, they struggled to adapt to hublife.
These blokes have had to live and breath footy every day and night in the hub, with no escape from it. That would be mentally draining.

But Victorians are having horrendous mental health problems too, but we don't get any media coverage! My brother is on the verge of a mental breakdown as his marriage has just ended and he is isolated. My sister has lost her house due to a partner's gambling problems and she too is isolated and in the depths of despair. I cannot fathom this endless focus on how terrible things have been for our footballers. The families lying alongside the pools and eating in the resorts didn't seem too depressed.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
So you don't feel that the clubs efforts across the season warrant a standing ovation. Fine, that's your choice.

Your overreaction began at the point where you felt the need to lambast fellow supporters who felt differently. I get that you're frustrated but we should never, ever eat our own.

And in answer to your original question toward me - there isn't a circumstance where I wouldn't stand and applaud our boys as they went off the field at the end of our final game for a number of reasons, their efforts across the year, the sacrifices they've had to make, the times they've played through injury and, last but not least for their service to the club, especially for players who might have played their last game with us.

That's where we differ. I love my club and the men in black and white but they have to earn my loyalty and admiration. Many of these blokes are getting big money to do what they do and would quickly pull on another coloured guernsey if the money was right-that's their right, but we can go too far with this devotion to players. There are times when I think they should be giving their fans more recognition and applause. There have been players who were unwilling to put their body on the line for the club I love or others who were selfish and all about their performance rather than the teams (Phil Carman comes to mind). I would never give such players a standing ovation.

The supporters make plenty of bloody sacrifices year in and year out too. I have seen regulars who are disabled who turn up week in and week out, no matter the weather or our position on the ladder. They are making much bigger sacrifices than footballers on hundreds of thousands a year. I'm not suggesting the players don't face tough times and huge scrutiny but I get tired of the idea that these men are somehow devoting their lives to pleasing us. It's their job, for which they are very well paid. Many of them will probably never go and watch an AFL game after they retire.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Don't disagree with much of that. Think it's ridiculous that guys like Grundy are paid as much as the Prime Minister. But still think you're forgetting that a lof of them are kids who were forced into a position where they might not have wanted to be and had to stay in that position for months. Agree that that has been the same for the entire population of Victoria in particular, but most Vics probably haven't been at their most consistent best either and have had some shocking days.
Again-like every Victorian stuck back here! We don't get the monetary compensation either!

But Victorians are having horrendous mental health problems too, but we don't get any media coverage! My brother is on the verge of a mental breakdown as his marriage has just ended and he is isolated. My sister has lost her house due to a partner's gambling problems and she too is isolated and in the depths of despair. I cannot fathom this endless focus on how terrible things have been for our footballers. The families lying alongside the pools and eating in the resorts didn't seem too depressed.

Sorry to hear that mate. It's been s**t for many. And many have had a much tougher gig than AFL footballers, but that doesn't mena we shouldn't have any empathy for the difficulties that they may have faced. I don't really feel that much sympathy for them, but I do empathise with them not necessarily being at their best and I do applaud them for having stuck it out.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
What a ridiculous comment!

I suppose you would be furious with any parent who admonished their kid for driving drunk or shoplifting. I mean, you support your kids no matter what! Give me a break. :rolleyes:

so you equate the team's efforts with driving drunk or shoplifting? lol I pity those who must be near you in real life, professor.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Don't talk to me about support mate. I've been going to watch them week in and week out since I was seven years old. That's support. I buy my season ticket every year. That's support. I have stood in the hail, rain and wind for five decades and watched us lose grand final after grand final in heartbreaking fashion for over five decades. I've attended hundreds of those games on crutches. Save your advice for someone who hasn't done that, mate.

I suppose you would be furious with any parent who admonished their kid for driving drunk or shoplifting. I mean, you support your kids no matter what! Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I think there's a connection between some of the performances over those decades and the weak attitudes of fans like yourself. I'm feeling so sorry for you, you poor old thing. Gone to all those games and feel like you deserve an award or something? Life can be tough sunshine. Toughen up you weak bastard. Bleating about how outside factors have broken you heart? Do you need a pat on the head or something? Poor professor. You deserve so much better. Feel better? Go and support one of those other teams that you seem to be so impressed with. The pies definitely need to get rid of some of the whining baggage that it has accumulated over the years.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think there's a connection between some of the performances over those decades and the weak attitudes of fans like yourself. I'm feeling so sorry for you, you poor old thing. Gone to all those games and feel like you deserve an award or something? Life can be tough sunshine. Toughen up you weak bastard. Bleating about how outside factors have broken you heart? Do you need a pat on the head or something? Poor professor. You deserve so much better. Feel better? Go and support one of those other teams that you seem to be so impressed with. The pies definitely need to get rid of some of the whining baggage that it has accumulated over the years.

Garbage post. People are allowed to vent after another failed season.

Back