List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
It's a live document and should change accordingly. The other info (age, contract etc) doesn't and it's the stuff that's hard to remember.
Just looking at the list. In Cat A we have 3 players who are regulars in the team. Paddy McCartin, Wicks and McLean. They need to be on the main list.
Makes me think we have 3 passengers in the main list depth.
We have 3 good picks in this years draft.
That is 6 players we need to move on.
We have to restrict Cat A to developing players. Otherwise our development stagnates.
If you are on the main list you need to be in the best 22 or threatening it. Otherwise why are you there.

That is minimum 6 players that need to be moved on.
Sinkers and Naismith and Kennedy are givens. Taylor. Who else?

Just looking at the list. In Cat A we have 3 players who are regulars in the team. Paddy McCartin, Wicks and McLean. They need to be on the main list.
Makes me think we have 3 passengers in the main list depth.
We have 3 good picks in this years draft.
That is 6 players we need to move on.
We have to restrict Cat A to developing players. Otherwise our development stagnates.
If you are on the main list you need to be in the best 22 or threatening it. Otherwise why are you there.

That is minimum 6 players that need to be moved on.
Sinkers and Naismith and Kennedy are givens. Taylor. Who else?
I agree with the great majority of what you post but not this time. Gone are the days where there was a meaningful difference between the Cat A Rookie and Main lists. Now it's only about moving money around. Taylor had a perfectly valid main list contract and agreed to be delisted and rookied to create a space for the draft. Greenwood did the same with GC but that came horribly unstuck.
I'll be very surprised if we try to trade in a big name of any kind. I also don't think we have anyone we would want to trade out (or would get a lot for).
So we have 5 players over 30 Rampe, Buddy, JPK, Reid and Sinkers all of whom might retire plus Naismith. Rampe is contracted until 2023. The others this year. Contracts expiring this year of players who have not been regular best 22 Bell, Clarke, Gould, O'Connor, Ronke, Taylor.
So that's up to 11 players.
Six spots should be pretty easy to come by.
Probably move Sheather up and O'Connor up or on to open 2 Cat B spots for Academy rookies.

I agree with the great majority of what you post but not this time. Gone are the days where there was a meaningful difference between the Cat A Rookie and Main lists. Now it's only about moving money around. Taylor had a perfectly valid main list contract and agreed to be delisted and rookied to create a space for the draft. Greenwood did the same with GC but that came horribly unstuck.
I'll be very surprised if we try to trade in a big name of any kind. I also don't think we have anyone we would want to trade out (or would get a lot for).
So we have 5 players over 30 Rampe, Buddy, JPK, Reid and Sinkers all of whom might retire plus Naismith. Rampe is contracted until 2023. The others this year. Contracts expiring this year of players who have not been regular best 22 Bell, Clarke, Gould, O'Connor, Ronke, Taylor.
So that's up to 11 players.
Six spots should be pretty easy to come by.
Probably move Sheather up and O'Connor up or on to open 2 Cat B spots for Academy rookies.
Thanks. I think you miss the point. If we have so many players on the Cat A list that are playing regular games, what does that say about the players on the main list that are not. I know the difference between the two lists has blurred. But it does say that we have list cloggers.

Yeah I've got a few different categories, with Paddy and JMac now at the top of that list. We'd probably want to lose about 5-7 at least, to cater for 4-5 draftees (national and rookie), plus we're operating at a larger than normal list for us I think.

Re-sign
Paddy Mc
McInerney
Cunners
Florent
Lloyd
McAndrew
COR

Re-sign if fit, want to play on
Franklin
Fox

Wait and see re: form at end of year
Ronke (current form suggests a gap before the others)
Gould (if he's producing decent games like he is now, but not quite breaking into the 22, would still give another year)
Bell
BOC

Only re-sign if we want reserves leaders
Clarke
Taylor

Out
Sincs
Reid (if in form and fit, keep as depth)
JPK
Naismith
You are kinder than me, I'd be culling more and keeping buddy on lower contract.

GONE - James Bell

GONE - Ryan Clarke

GONE - Harry Cunningham

TRADE for similar age General or Key Defender - Oliver Florent

KEEP 1 more year - Robbie Fox

KEEP 1 more year - Lance Franklin

GONE - William Gould

VERY GONE - Josh Kennedy

KEEP - without overpaying 2 years or trade - Jake Lloyd

KEEP - Lachlan McAndrew

KEEP 1 year contract if he will take it, 2 if we have to - Paddy McCartin

KEEP 3 year contract Justin McInerney

GONE - Sam Naismith

GONE - Barry O'Connor

GONE - Colin O'Riordan

KEEP 1 more year - Sam Reid

KEEP 1 or 2 more years if form holds up - Ben Ronke

GONE - Callum Sinclair

GONE - Lewis Taylor

Mid Season Draft - Sign El Nour

Rookie at end of year if 2s form is strong Nick shipley and train him as a lock down Defender with Rankin too.

GONE - James Bell

GONE - Ryan Clarke

GONE - Harry Cunningham

GONE - William Gould

VERY GONE - Josh Kennedy

KEEP - Lachlan McAndrew

GONE - Sam Naismith

GONE - Barry O'Connor

GONE - Colin O'Riordan

GONE - Callum Sinclair

GONE - Lewis Taylor

Rookie at end of year if 2s form is strong Nick shipley and train him as a lock down Defender with Rankin too.
10 gones is at least 3 too many. Fair chance the six or 7 who go will come from your group. Reckon Sinkers is still fair value in ressies. Die of surprise if we trade Florent.

GONE - James Bell

GONE - Ryan Clarke

GONE - Harry Cunningham

GONE - William Gould

VERY GONE - Josh Kennedy

KEEP - Lachlan McAndrew

GONE - Sam Naismith

GONE - Barry O'Connor

GONE - Colin O'Riordan

GONE - Callum Sinclair

GONE - Lewis Taylor

Trying to cruel our flag chance. Im sure Mrs Chad will not want her son to miss out on a flag.
Bell-useful depth
Ryan Clarke-Good for the ressies development. 1 more year
Cunningham-Best 22 small defender
Florent-Way best 22 midfield
Fox-Best backup for any defender
Buddy-say whatever you want
Kennedy-Has already stated he is going
Lloyd-Needed
The rest I agree or am not fussed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally on Sydney Swans web site
19609-Juzzy-Announcement-1920x1080.png

Looking at the OOC players for this year and next year only Florent, Tom McCartin, Papley, Mills and Chad Warner scream out as deserving 3 years or longer contracts. The rest should not get any more than a year or two at most. Think with this group and the players signed to 2024 and beyond that is the core of the group.

Looking at the OOC players for this year and next year only Florent, Tom McCartin, Papley, Mills and Chad Warner scream out as deserving 3 years or longer contracts. The rest should not get any more than a year or two at most. Think with this group and the players signed to 2024 and beyond that is the core of the group.
Generally agree.
I think the future for this year's crop of draftees plus Gould and Stephens will be clear by the end of the season. Sheather may come into consideration too, although 2 years may have him covered.
Wicks and McLean also.

We've extended most of the non-negotiables (McInerney, McDonald, Heeney) now, so that's good.

Of the rest:

James Bell - still don't really rate him, though I guess he has a few traits for a decent roleplayer. Wait and see what he does for the rest of the season, I guess.
Ryan Clarke - probably on his way out. At best worth keeping for the seconds if we have a lot of list vacancies.
Harry Cunningham - keep. Unless someone offers him something ridiculous.
Oliver Florent - similar to Cunningham. Inconsistent but a match-winner.
Robbie Fox - still decent depth IMO. Given there's not a lot of great options in his role he's probably worth giving a one-year deal to if he wants it.
Lance Franklin - up to him, he's playing good enough for another year I think. But might come down to injuries.
William Gould - has improved this year and plays in a position where there's little depth. But I wouldn't make a call before the end of the season unless he cracks the AFL and starts blitzing it.
Josh Kennedy - he's done I think. Legend but isn't conclusively Best 22 anymore.
Jake Lloyd - I'm losing a bit of patience. If someone gives him a big offer (like Band 1/2 style), I'd think I'd let him take it.
Lachlan McAndrew - I'd think I'd keep. Seems to have potential.
Paddy McCartin - if he gets concussed again, I'd be really worried about re-signing him. But he's been really good otherwise so assuming he stays fit he gets a new deal.
Sam Naismith - likely done, though our patterns (like ruling him out for the season) suggests the club thinks there's a role for him long-term.
Barry O'Connor - like Gould, probably depends on the rest of the season goes. Not sure he's quite done enough to keep a spot.
Colin O'Riordan - not sure here. I guess he's an OK role player/depth? But he's not Best 22 and behind quite a few in his role, so unless there were significant exoduses I'd cut.
Sam Reid - 50/50, depends on depth. Still OK I guess but he's not Best 22 anymore and he's not getting any younger.
Ben Ronke - on current form has earned another deal. Be interesting to see if he keeps it up.
Callum Sinclair - bit strange he played on, I guess we weren't certain if we could get Ladhams? Anyway, likely gone.
Lewis Taylor - given he got moved to the rookie list, he's done.

Florent and buddy only two out of contract now I'd want us to resign.
Paddy? Given his form I'd risk giving him a 3 year deal. He seems integral for a premiership push over the next couple of years.

Agree with the two you mentioned and the rest neither here nor there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back