AFL should introduce red cards or sin bins

Remove this Banner Ad

Yellow cards and red cards in amateur league which I watch every week.

Usually 2 yellow cards a game - player off for 10 minutes so he can calm down but is replaced.

Would support this.

Lol did you not watch 1989? There were 4 or 5.

I'm talking 2017 on m8, do you think the AFL have cleaned up the game since 1989

We can all wax lyrical about dermie getting cleaned up in the opening bounce by Mark Yates, but that is the last thing AFL house wants in the game in the new age.

I'm telling you now, if something like that happens in a future Grand Final the drums will be pounding

I'm talking 2017 on m8, do you think the AFL have cleaned up the game since 1989

We can all wax lyrical about dermie getting cleaned up in the opening bounce by Mark Yates, but that is the last thing AFL house wants in the game in the new age.

I'm telling you now, if something like that happens in a future Grand Final the drums will be pounding
This comment is a little bit naive and impetious.

The AFL have their own agenda and if ironing someone out favoured a GWS, Melbourne or Gold Coast in a GF and they won the AFL would turn a blind eye to the potential introduction of a card system.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Agreed but yes has to be deliberate hit that knocks out opposition player that is reviewed by video umpire

but like a goal review, the umpires call stands

I will add the opposition player should be banned for an indefinite period if the send off was staged.

Yellow cards and red cards in amateur league which I watch every week.

Usually 2 yellow cards a game - player off for 10 minutes so he can calm down but is replaced.

Would support this.
This is why I hate when people say the sport doesn't have red or yellow cards. It does. The AFL just doesn't. Aussie rules has them, and they rarely impact games incorrectly

Lot of yellows in your league though. I think I've seen 2 all year both in the ressies.

Considering there isn't a send-off law in AFL, I think the players behave themselves quite well. Even in a GF there have been few incidents in recent years where players have targeted other players. Lynch for Brisbane was the last time I remember a player trying hard to knock someone out in a GF and I think that lead to double-demerits in the GF.

Red cards are half the reason soccer players act up when tackled or pushed or touched on the head, so if you want to eliminate diving* I don't think this is the way to do it.

(*I don't think diving is that much of a problem anyway. Players have always milked frees and exaggerated contact. It's nothing new.)

Is there any other sport in the world where there are no ejections?

Off the top of my head other big team sports all have ejections.
No doubt using the rationale in my OP that the offending player/team should actually face a punishment for their illegal action, in the game they did it in.

Soccer, rugby league, rugby union, basketball, NFL & ice hockey all have various forms of ejections.

Agree, I wasn't loling you I was loling the 1989 GF and the AFLs lack of action.

Been saying for ages that AFL house will only do something once a player is deliberately ironed out in a grand final

I honestly can't believe this doesn't happen more often.

Anyway,
Like the idea in principle but imo in practice it would be a debacle

Very keen on the idea if it was decided by the video ref review rather than the ones on the ground at the time, significantly reducing the 'howler' decisions. There's a big advantage to the aggressor's team in a game if the victim can't play on which should be nullified at least. 20 minute sin-bin without replacement with MRP as normal afterwards would get the message through I'd think.
There's a reason just about all other sporting codes have a yellow/red card rule. I don't think the AFL needs to have it to copy them, it needs to have it to remove the aggressor's team's unfair advantage that occurs at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would not agree to it if the AFL umpires or the current video review guys were involved. I would be more interested if it was a chook wheel.

I can just see it now...They bring it in 'just for extreme cases' and within a year or two it's like the deliberate OOB/behind rules from earlier this year.

It would need to be ONLY for deliberate cases where the aggrieved player is FORCED to leave the field for an extended period, and I just don't trust the AFL to stick to that, or the clubs not to manipulate it.

Spud player tags/harasses star until the star retaliates, which then gets milked, and the coaches decide that his 'injury' forces him out for the rest of the game just to ensure the 'aggressor' is off as well....

Does anyone think clubs wouldn't try to make this happen? We're talking the people who took protecting the head by punishing high tackles and decided that the best tactic was to duck/lead with the head to get a free...

I honestly can't believe this doesn't happen more often.

Anyway,
Like the idea in principle but imo in practice it would be a debacle

yep you bet, that is the inherent problem

you can't just shoehorn a rule in to cover a grand final, it has to be consistent* throughout the season

*hahahahahaha I just said consistent, Gil said WTF is that

This comment is a little bit naive and impetious.

The AFL have their own agenda and if ironing someone out favoured a GWS, Melbourne or Gold Coast in a GF and they won the AFL would turn a blind eye to the potential introduction of a card system.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Can you imagine the backlash from rusted on fans if Dusty Martin got smacked by Punchable Greene in a grand final and is knocked out.

You honestly think AwFL house would not act because the mega crowd of 15,000 GWS rugby converts piled into the G on the last day in September.

And I'm not talking about The Tiger army, the whole of Vic would unite

The game is changing and fast, as we have seen by the radical changes to the interchange, OOB, and rushed behind. They acknowledged the game had to become quicker and are reluctantly adopting soccer tactics, much like Malthouse did at your club.

i might be impetuous to a degree, but believe me I am not naive

Considering there isn't a send-off law in AFL, I think the players behave themselves quite well. Even in a GF there have been few incidents in recent years where players have targeted other players. Lynch for Brisbane was the last time I remember a player trying hard to knock someone out in a GF and I think that lead to double-demerits in the GF.

Red cards are half the reason soccer players act up when tackled or pushed or touched on the head, so if you want to eliminate diving* I don't think this is the way to do it.

(*I don't think diving is that much of a problem anyway. Players have always milked frees and exaggerated contact. It's nothing new.)
That's an interesting perspective that carding can itself increase simulation, I'd probably never thought of it that way. In footy it might be less likely because it is continuous whereas, say, soccer simulation more typically occurs in the final possession before a shot on goal so has a natural break in the game. I think if the play is going on, a player flopping to the ground may be slightly less likely to occur - but still an interesting point. It does lend itself to video adjudication as a result but I can imagine some long delays to the game as a result.

Overall I'd prefer - as much as it runs risk of error - the umpire to make a call on the spot. Most other sports seem to cope with that where they have it and a ten minute 'binning' is not a bad idea overall that I think outweighs the negatives.

Put them on a penalty for a set number of minutes, like in ice hockey, during which time they can't be replaced. so team has to play with 17 men for however long.
As much as I think that's fair, my concern would be teams going into an ultra defensive flood while only having 17 players on the ground to minimize the damage. Perhaps a compromise could be to take 5 interchanges off as well although I can see that being prone to admin error during a game.

Alternatively, a bit left field but just to throw it out there 'freeze' the bench as well during the sIn binning. Perhaps wind it back to only 5 minutes in the bin plus no interchanges. The players 'caught' on the bench then also have 5 minutes to let the player know what they think of their selfish actions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back