AFL should introduce red cards or sin bins

Remove this Banner Ad

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
What type of person compares sexual assault to umpiring...

Well someone who is very insensitive to victims of sexual assault for one.

it doesn't necessarily offend me, but i can see how it is so crass.

Poster has a history of being narcissistic

It's behaviour that automatically follows entitlement, disgusting comparison actually, especially considering this is the main board

Oops, there's that entitlement gene coming through again

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
This is the worst excuse to bring something in - is there any other sport in the world that has 4 goalposts? Does that mean it should change?

Doubt there's any other contact sport in the world with such a lopsided on-field players/substitutes ratio. I think it's only a matter of time until a team is reduced to not having a bench by halftime of a game. I definitely agree with the idea that if a team has been independently assessed to have three or more players on the bench who are unfit to continue by halftime, an emergency can be put on.

Red card worthy incidents happen a couple of times per year, if that and if the umpire was relied to call it, they'd probably make as many incorrect send-offs as correct ones.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Well someone who is very insensitive to victims of sexual assault for one.

it doesn't necessarily offend me, but i can see how it is so crass.

Poster has a history of being narcissistic

It's behaviour that automatically follows entitlement, disgusting comparison actually, especially considering this is the main board

Oops, there's that entitlement gene coming through again
When did you come to believe it was appropriate to offer a mental health diagnosis to anonymous people online?

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Agreed but yes has to be deliberate hit that knocks out opposition player that is reviewed by video umpire

Yup. This is what I reckon. I support the red card idea, but only under very strict circumstances. If a player is reported by the umps for a deliberate hit on another player that results in the hit player no longer being able to take the field due to concussion, then the offending player should also sit out. Other than that though, I don't think the umps make good enough decisions to give them such power.

Yup. This is what I reckon. I support the red card idea, but only under very strict circumstances. If a player is reported by the umps for a deliberate hit on another player that results in the hit player no longer being able to take the field due to concussion, then the offending player should also sit out. Other than that though, I don't think the umps make good enough decisions to give them such power.

It would have to be deliberate *and* illegal otherwise you would have lost Mumford on the weekend after his bump on Beams took him out for the game. Was it a deliberate bump - yes, was Beams able to continue - no, was it within the rules - yes.

Too much is already decided based on the affect on the recipient rather than the action of the initiator - the same action against Browny who doesn't notice you hit him should have the same consequences as that hit on someone else to Rances their way to ground 7 meters away.

When said poster likens sexual assault to umpiring.

That's when

So when someone does something dumb, you feel justified in doing something dumb too?

Never heard the saying 2 wrongs don't make a right?

It would have to be deliberate *and* illegal otherwise you would have lost Mumford on the weekend after his bump on Beams took him out for the game. Was it a deliberate bump - yes, was Beams able to continue - no, was it within the rules - yes.

Also needs to be that the result was what was intended.....If you try to make a fair bump to the hip and shoulder, but didn't take enough care to avoid the head and/or the other guy ducks at the wrong time...Then you shouldn't be sent off for what has become a reportable offense.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
With the send off rule, you can just imagine coaches adding it to their bag of tricks to try and get star players sent off with an increase in Oliver style flopping. I hate to even think about it.
That's what video review is for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires would just stuff it up IMO. Can also see Rivaldo-esque situations happening and no-one wants to see that.

Only way it can work is if there is a video umpire looking at the situation and making a judgement there. But that would take far too long.

I don't see what the big issue with the status quo is anyway. I could see it being manipulated (e.g. someone deliberately knocks out a big name in a GF and they're retiring anyway so they can't get punished) but it hasn't yet.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is there any other sport in the world where there are no ejections?

Im pretty sure there is one ejection rule at AFL level. Deliberately hitting an umpire can be a send off.

There would have to be some level of review as well as the other player leaving the field for me to even want it considered.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
For all the people saying it will ruin the game, red cards in Soccer do not always affect the result of a game, it is highly unlikely that going from 22 to 21 players will impact the result of a game. Just like Carlton having 21 players on Sunday had no impact on the result.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For all the people saying it will ruin the game, red cards in Soccer do not always affect the result of a game, it is highly unlikely that going from 22 to 21 players will impact the result of a game. Just like Carlton having 21 players on Sunday had no impact on the result.

Would you go from 4 on the bench to 3 on the bench, or would you go from 18 on the field to 17 on the field?

Would you go from 4 on the bench to 3 on the bench, or would you go from 18 on the field to 17 on the field?
I would've thought it was the latter. At least that's how it works in other sports....

Patronus

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Storm
The AFL trailed an automatic 50 meter penealty when they reported a player during the match. They had to scrap it quick smart because the players were being found not guilty or not charged for the offence they were being reported for on he ground.

If they can not get something where the ramifications ware a simple 50 meters I would not want something as damaging as sending players off for a short period of time or the rest of the game based on what the umpire saw on the field.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
already said in the houli thread that the schofield / oliver incident is proof enough that it would be mishandled. people aren't even sure what goes on in some incidents, and yet someone could be ejected from play for it.
expect some interesting cause and effect (ie, players flopping to get opposition ejected)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back