AFL should not call it a premiership this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Given this season is ruined and won't be 23 rounds it doesn't seem right to class it as a premiership this season.

I just think the AFL should use this as a experimental season and named all awards as a once off as something else.

No Premiership Cup or Norm Smith/Brownlow to be awarded ect. There's too much history in those awards.

Just call it something different.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Given this season is ruined and won't be 23 rounds it doesn't seem right to class it as a premiership this season.

I just think the AFL should use this as a experimental season and named all awards as a once off as something else.

No Premiership Cup or Norm Smith/Brownlow to be awarded ect. There's too much history in those awards.

You haven't offered up any suggestions. You've just posted your personal opinion that you've clearly developed with no basis.

Does Marlion Pickett have an * next to his premiership medal because he won it in his debut game? If we play 17 rounds this year it's simply because those were the unfortunate circumstances we had to deal with. It's still the same players in the same jumpers playing the same sport, just a few less games on a whole and in front of less spectators.

Excellent suggestion. May as well include the AFL-X Grand Final winners in the premership tally if we include this half season. If there is a premiership it shouldn't be worth the same as other AFL premierships.

The main reason is the winning club had to work a lot less than winning clubs of all other years and not play top clubs twice. Also if Richmond were affected by coronavirus and Port weren't, and Port won the flag it wouldn't be fair

Last edited:
Why don't we name the respective awards after players that were historically 'less esteemed' recipients.
Therefore, the Coleman Medal becomes the Simon Beasley medal, the Brownlow Medal is the Shane Award (named after messrs Woewodin and Charter) and the Norm Smith can be renamed the Jason Johannisen Supreme Disposal Efficiency Metres Gained Metres Gained Metres Gained Medal.
Of course it'll only apply for the 2020 season and all awards will revert back to their rightful names when footy returns to normal. Thoughts?

If the world war and 1800s amateur league premierships are counted I see no reason why this one wouldn't be, provided it restarted.

Only proviso I'd have is that every team should have to play every other team at least once.

Excellent suggestion. May as well include the AFL-X Grand Final winners in the premership tally if we include this half season. If there is a premiership it shouldn't be worth the same as other AFL premierships.

The main reason is the winning club had to work a lot less than winning clubs of all other years and not play top clubs twice. Also if Richmond were affected by coronavirus and Port weren't, and Port won the flag it wouldn't be fair
Agreed. I just look back and think how different the ladder turns out from rnd17 to rnd23. A lot can happen in that extra month. Also the 23 rnd season is a strength of endurance and management.

How many times in season gone do we have posters come on half way through seasons on here and claim Premierships only to find there team shits the bed when it gets down to the pointy end of the season. Its like the sayinh Premierships aren't won in May or August. But seems like this year it will be just that technically in its length.

We can't go claiming a premiership with just half a season. Is a joke and I wouldn't even mark it down as anything in history. Same goes for Brownlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad call, Hutchy.

I disagree, providing we can still play 17 games + finals, the premier will still need to make finals and win finals and ultimately the grand final.

It will be the same this year albeit with fewer games.

Should we reach a scenario when games are significantly reduced and not all teams play each other, then I'd change my view.

I know people are quite bored at this point in time but there comes a time when posting utter shite just for the sake of posting has to be outlawed.

I think there has to be a minimum before it qualifies as legitimate, and I'd agree with the other posters who have put that at 17 games of H&A + finals.

Really, I think they're stretching it even at that if they play short qtrs.
The number of games and length of quarters has changed over the years. As has the finals format, number of players per team, and just about every other rule that exists.

The game changes, sometimes for a short time, sometimes forever - it is what it is. The key is that everyone is playing by the same rules this year. If you're the best team, you deserve to be considered premiers.

So do we cancel out any time the Premiership was less than 18 teams and 23 rounds then?

No reason to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only one of West Coast's premierships has been won in a 23 round season.

I think I'm coming around to this idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back