AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Email from September last year had me at 11854. Got my card for next year in the mail and am at 8494.

Unsure though if the number I received last year was already out of date or anything, but was told that I was "roughly 6 seasons off full membership".

What teams need to suck to get the most people not to renew?

I was 11704 last year...went to 10773 this year...

No.
They are counted in the official member counts, but so are 3 game members.

From a club perspective they are not on the same level as a standard home club member.

AFL members are effectively turning their back on a perceived lower value offering of club membership for the better AFL option.

But they then want in on the club membership ballots.

Yeah Essendon allows non-vic based residents to purchase a 'national' 4 game membership that is basically paying them 130 to go to one game if the bombers play in their state. For that effort they get a chance in their club ballot.

In 2017 the portion of an AFL membership that went to the clubs was $150. I emailed and asked.

The blockbuster Flexi 6 at ESsendon costs $180, an ESsendon supporting AFL member is giving the club less $$ than a Flexi 6 member, yet expects special treatment and to be treated as an equal.

Clubs finally sticking up for their own club members.

So if a silver AFL member isn't willing to ride out the wait until the good times when they get to Gold, perhaps sticking as a club member will be more appealing moving forward.

Yeah agreed. When I was Silver I also purchased an EFC AFL Members reserved seat package for 7 home games at Etihad which also got me GF access if we made it. I think this is the way to do it as an EFC AFL Member.

Last two years: Pay as soon as invoice comes in and don't get card till march
This year: Haven't paid a thing and get card in November

They keep it interesting ill give em that

So I've been a member 6 years and it's telling me I'm 12k in the queue. Surely that can't be right!? Seems a long way to the top to me.

A friend has been AFL for about 2 years more and is 1900. Does this mean no one left in that two years or that they just sold out space to corporates instead?

Really not happy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So I've been a member 6 years and it's telling me I'm 12k in the queue. Surely that can't be right!? Seems a long way to the top to me.

A friend has been AFL for about 2 years more and is 1900. Does this mean no one left in that two years or that they just sold out space to corporates instead?

Really not happy.
People get mixed up with their years/numbers.
12k is consistent with 5 renewal notices based on what I've seen in this thread, your friend is probably more like 4-5 years ahead of you.

Yeah, they're just selling our spaces now.
The slow movement this year was apparently due to a lot of Essendon Afl gold members putting their membership on hold (absentee or whatever they call it) for 2016 and probably the year or two before that as well, and then going straight back to Gold for 2017. There were a couple of years where over 2 thousand were upgraded which was abnormally large but now it seems to make sense that these numbers were caused by Bomber members sitting out for a year or 2.

People get mixed up with their years/numbers.
12k is consistent with 5 renewal notices based on what I've seen in this thread, your friend is probably more like 4-5 years ahead of you.
Can confirm I am 6 years and 12k in the queue and 'they' are 9 years and 2k in the queue. True it's about ten years, however I'd be surprised if they clear 12k in 4 years. Am still fairly certain I'm up for a long haul as the AFL are under-selling seats to corporates and packages like Medallion.

The slow movement this year was apparently due to a lot of Essendon Afl gold members putting their membership on hold (absentee or whatever they call it) for 2016 and probably the year or two before that as well, and then going straight back to Gold for 2017. There were a couple of years where over 2 thousand were upgraded which was abnormally large but now it seems to make sense that these numbers were caused by Bomber members sitting out for a year or 2.

Yeah that's true. A bit frustrating, as an Essendon member, as I've stuck thick and gone to many a game throughout this difficult period. But they're the rules of absentee as that's how it is.

Cheers.

Can confirm I am 6 years and 12k in the queue and 'they' are 9 years and 2k in the queue. True it's about ten years, however I'd be surprised if they clear 12k in 4 years. Am still fairly certain I'm up for a long haul as the AFL are under-selling seats to corporates and packages like Medallion.

Yeah that's true. A bit frustrating, as an Essendon member, as I've stuck thick and gone to many a game throughout this difficult period. But they're the rules of absentee as that's how it is.

Cheers.

I think more people are hanging on to their tickets now as they're smartening up to the value and access to finals/GF tickets. Also more people are utilising the "absentee" option for a couple of years due to finances/team sucking etc rather than just dropping off altogether as they have in the past. The absentee option should probably be removed unless exceptional circumstances apply. Does the MCC have absentee option? I doubt it, if you want to keep your spot you pay the full annual fee every year. Don't want to pay it? See ya.

Membership card arrived today, it’s the earliest I can remember it coming given the hassles experienced last year. Can’t believe how quickly they’re dispatching them these days, used to always arrive around Australia Day.

So i got my card today in the mail even though i told them i won't be paying till Jan. I'm guessing it may not work until i pay?
24824649_10155380090082909_374606127_n.jpg

16500 off a full membership for anyone* interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know how I can change to an absentee member for 2018? I can't find the option on the website.

I'd email or give them a call. I've found they're pretty good with getting back to you if you email although it seems to take a couple of days instead of a couple of hours these days.

So i got my card today in the mail even though i told them i won't be paying till Jan. I'm guessing it may not work until i pay?
24824649_10155380090082909_374606127_n.jpg

16500 off a full membership for anyone* interested.

I dont think any of the features associated with the card will work before 2018 anyway. Cricket season uses the 2017 membership barcode

Does anyone know how I can change to an absentee member for 2018? I can't find the option on the website.
This is from the membership terms and conditions section on the website.
https://membership.afl.com.au/terms-conditions

4.10 Absentee: An Absentee Membership allows you to place your Membership on hold for a season (or multiple seasons if the annual fee for Absentee Membership is maintained) and allows you to return to the same Membership status and number when your circumstances change. Gold and Silver Members may obtain an Absentee Membership for an annual fee of $140 (inc GST) for adults and $70 (inc GST) for juniors and upon provision of a letter or email (accompanying your renewal application) which outlines your Absentee status.

4.10 Absentee: An Absentee Membership allows you to place your Membership on hold for a season (or multiple seasons if the annual fee for Absentee Membership is maintained) and allows you to return to the same Membership status and number when your circumstances change. Gold and Silver Members may obtain an Absentee Membership for an annual fee of $140 (inc GST) for adults and $70 (inc GST) for juniors and upon provision of a letter or email (accompanying your renewal application) which outlines your Absentee status.
Excellent, thank you!

I think more people are hanging on to their tickets now as they're smartening up to the value and access to finals/GF tickets. Also more people are utilising the "absentee" option for a couple of years due to finances/team sucking etc rather than just dropping off altogether as they have in the past. The absentee option should probably be removed unless exceptional circumstances apply. Does the MCC have absentee option? I doubt it, if you want to keep your spot you pay the full annual fee every year. Don't want to pay it? See ya.
Can’t agree. Circumstances have meant I’ve had to move to London for two years - why shouldn’t I be able to pay a lesser fee for a product that I’m not going to be able to use anyway to retain the privileges that I would otherwise have had that have accrued over the time period I’ve been an AFL member?

Can’t agree. Circumstances have meant I’ve had to move to London for two years - why shouldn’t I be able to pay a lesser fee for a product that I’m not going to be able to use anyway to retain the privileges that I would otherwise have had that have accrued over the time period I’ve been an AFL member?
I think that would come under his definition of exceptional circumstances.

Trouble is it is difficult for the AFL to determine this, I suspect there is a disproportionate number of supporters from teams who suck at the moment who are 'overseas for a couple of years'. And a whole pile of Bomber supporters 'had to work interstate for a year' in 2016.

If you're overseas and can prove it, that's fine. If it's just because you're teams not looking like playing finals/making top 4 for a few years that's a different story.

Do Silver Members continue to move up the queue? It seems by this that they wouldn't yet I've been told/heard otherwise.

Any Silver Members taken out absentee memberships that can confirm?

Do Silver Members continue to move up the queue? It seems by this that they wouldn't yet I've been told/heard otherwise.

Any Silver Members taken out absentee memberships that can confirm?

I suspect what happens is the year an AFL member goes absentee fee route this allows a silver member next in line to goto full member because the absentee member is not going to games so new full member can be brought in. However in year absentee member goes back to full match going fee it leaves one less spot for a silver member to jump to full membership as that old full membership is back active again.

I think that would come under his definition of exceptional circumstances.

Trouble is it is difficult for the AFL to determine this, I suspect there is a disproportionate number of supporters from teams who suck at the moment who are 'overseas for a couple of years'. And a whole pile of Bomber supporters 'had to work interstate for a year' in 2016.

or where they overseas in France studying ?:p

I think the membership department used an argument of convenience to explain why not many upgrades occurred this season. It’s very simplistic to say it was the Essendon supporters coming back in droves but I’m not buying that excuse.

I actually think a lot of Essendon supporters went back to club membership post saga, choosing to give the entirety of their membership dollars to the club & not the AFL. I know of several who took that option.

In addition to this, the drop off of those members IMO, resulted in a spike of upgrades in the 2013-16 range and I believe we’re now seeing a levelling out of that spike. In my own instance, my waitlist number advanced most during 2014-15 than in any of the previous 7-8 years. My brother in law for instance, says when he got upgraded in the mid 2000’s, it seemed to take 3-4 years to get from 3500 to the upgrade.

In my case, I think my upgrade happened from 1500 something in 2015(?) whereas I know a work colleague who only advanced from the 3400’s to 3100’s this renewal period. Although there may be more upgrade offers this year, I believe we will see upgrade numbers of 800 or less from here on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back