AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I'll just wait until the August 31 cut off to decide. Should know by then the likelihood of crowds being allowed at finals and how many would be in Melbourne.

If they can have a crowd at the GF I wonder what ranking 'Gold Absentee' and 'Gold Pause' will get for a seat compared with normal Gold.
I wouldn’t bother waiting on a crowd verdict. There is absolutely nothing to suggest there will be crowds of any sorts at the footy, racing, festivals and cricket this year. It simply is a risk no government anywhere seems to want to take.

This is my first year as an AFL Member, so I'm pretty much dead last in the waitlist for Gold, which doesn't bother me too much. I chose AFL Membership to support the league and my team, as well as the access to H&A matches, so I'm not too concerned about becoming a Gold member (it will be great when I make it, but yeah for now it's not too much of an issue)

Just reading through the different choices last night and into this morning, the options seem pretty good. I'm planning on maintaining my membership, but I think I'll hold off on confirming for now just until I've got a bit more clarity on my situation. The value packs they've put together seem pretty coo as well, Matchday Lover or Bring-a-Mate will probably be what I lean towards

I asked because this poster seems to suggest he saw something that made him think it does and was wondering where he saw this...
Update to my own question.. buried in the terms and conditions.. they take the $170 out of what you have already paid and you can get any additional $$ that you have paid as a refund or credit for 2021. And the $170 is retained by your nominated club. option 2 more me..

I asked because this poster seems to suggest he saw something that made him think it does and was wondering where he saw this...
Think it was just an assumption.
All I've seen is this in the FAQ

If I convert to absentee membership, am I considered a club member still in 2020?
Yes, if you are choosing to convert from your current membership to an absentee membership, we will continue to pass on the club distribution amount to your club of support and therefore you will still be a club member.

Who knows, had a look through some old posts in this thread and the club amount seemed to match the absentee fee ($140) a few years back.
Not sure if they upped the club amount when they upped the absentee fee to $170.

Think I'll just wait until the August 31 cut off to decide. Should know by then the likelihood of crowds being allowed at finals and how many would be in Melbourne.

If they can have a crowd at the GF I wonder what ranking 'Gold Absentee' and 'Gold Pause' will get for a seat compared with normal Gold.
Wouldn‘t an absentee gold member have absolutely no entitlement to the grand final should there somehow be crowds this year?

Wouldn‘t an absentee gold member have absolutely no entitlement to the grand final should there somehow be crowds this year?

It says you'll retain access to games for the 2020 Premiership season at club member rates so you would assume you would have access if your club is competing - but who knows

It says you'll retain access to games for the 2020 Premiership season at club member rates so you would assume you would have access if your club is competing - but who knows
I thought it would mean you could purchase in the club member sale (i.e general public areas) and not in the AFL reserve.

Who knows, I don't think they'll be allowing 100,000 at a match unless they are sure Victoria has zero cases.

I thought it would mean you could purchase in the club member sale (i.e general public areas) and not in the AFL reserve.

Who knows, I don't think they'll be allowing 100,000 at a match unless they are sure Victoria has zero cases.
Yeah it's all very vague and as you say probably a moot point as I can't see them letting crowds back this year, not by October at least which seems to be the timeframe the AFL is gunning for.

Not sure, they indicated you would still have access to matches but at a 'club' price instead of 'AFL' price, but didn't specifically mention finals.
Hopefully they release some more info in August once they have a better idea, that's why I'm going to wait until then, I currently have monthly payments but on hold since March.

Anybody know if you Abssentee can you do it again in the future? How many times can you do this? I had in the back of my mind you could only do this once
I thought the same initially that it could only be done for one year, but I have a gold membership and currently in my 3rd year as absentee. I called the AFL membership department about it at the end of the first year and they said there was no limit at the time on how long you could do it, but it could change in the future. They just keep on resending it as an absentee membership renewal every year automatically. Its up to me to change it back to full if I require it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the way I read the information that an absentee gold member would effectively be seen as a 'club member' in the potential situation that finals occurred with crowds in 2020. It would then depend on how you club-support club treats members during finals (ie. As a Richmond Club support member of x years I wouldn't be able to go into the ballot for Grand Final tickets within the club allocation).

The 4 packs are:
THE FOODIE PACK:
Buy one get one free a la carte dining
Complimentary bottle of wine
Marvel Stadium food and beverage voucher

THE BRING A MATE PACK:
Complimentary guest passes
Complimentary reserved seat upgrades at Marvel Stadium or MCG

THE MATCHDAY LOVER:
Complimentary reserved seat upgrades at Marvel Stadium/MCG
AFL Record vouchers

THE EXPERIENCE PACK:
Buy one get one free a la carte dining
Behind the scenes tour of Marvel Stadium.
These options are s**t! No interest in dining or AFL Records or Stadium tours and I'm not likely to spend $200+ worth of seat reservations.

I was going to keep my membership but thinking of going Absentee now. If they offered merchanise vouchers I'd be happy to keep it.

These options are s**t! No interest in dining or AFL Records or Stadium tours and I'm not likely to spend $200+ worth of seat reservations.

I was going to keep my membership but thinking of going Absentee now. If they offered merchanise vouchers I'd be happy to keep it.

Yeah absentee seems the obvious one unless the cost of your membership is likely to jump next year via gold or no longer being concession. If absentee members still progress in the line for gold, it's pretty much a bet that there won't be tickets for the home and away season as you could still go on club ballots for the GF (& as a silver member that's really the only way)

Has anyone cancelled or anyone you know going to?

I can see the waiting list move a lot faster over the next 18 months

I’m cancelling.

I’ve had it for 25 years (last 18 years it has been a full membership) but the AFL can go and get stuffed.

I don't know, it just seems like the packs are all over the place.

I pay monthly for my Silver. I want to keep it, I'm close to Gold.

So, Option 1 to "Maintain" you essentially pay this year in full, 30% off next years membership and get an option pack of your choosing (probably would get the Guest Passes, but it doesn't say how many).

Option 2 to "Absentee" you get four guess passes next year (...basically the option pack above?), you pay $170 for this year (have I paid more than this already? Do I have to pay ANOTHER $170)?

Just makes no sense. Do it in a ******* table and make it simple.

Typical AFL, absolutely all over the place.

So with Option 1... Do you maintain your position in the queue ?Eg if I was 15,000 number this year, in 2021? would my position go lower eg ( roughly 14,500 ) or will it stay the same for next with it all???

The question I have is, when we were 1st given the option to pause our membership payments, it was explained that you would still need to pay them down the track, that is make up for the payments you have misses. I took up that option.
If I now choose option three, which talks about pausing my payments, does that mean I still have to pay them at some stage.
Also, I can't quite work out the difference between absentee (option 2) v pausing (option 3)

Yeah it's all very vague and as you say probably a moot point as I can't see them letting crowds back this year, not by October at least which seems to be the timeframe the AFL is gunning for.
You're most likely right, however I'm firmly of the view that small amounts of crowds should be permitted to late season home and away games in September. Say 20% capacity of each stadium.

Every time I go to a Melbourne game, the top level of the AFL reserve only has about 8 people sitting there including myself. I've been socially distancing at the footy since 1999!

Last edited:
The question I have is, when we were 1st given the option to pause our membership payments, it was explained that you would still need to pay them down the track, that is make up for the payments you have misses. I took up that option.
If I now choose option three, which talks about pausing my payments, does that mean I still have to pay them at some stage.
Also, I can't quite work out the difference between absentee (option 2) v pausing (option 3)
Absentee you pay $170 in total and get a credit/refund if you've already paid more than that and they throw in some steak knives for next year.

Pause you just stop paying your monthly amount, no refund. If you stopped back in March after four payments ($250) like me then no difference. If you stopped in April or do it now in May looks like they give a small discount on next year's membership. Also get some steak knives.

Back in March they said we may need to make up any paused payments, that was back when they had no idea how things were going to pan out, they just rushed the pause option in asap and kept their options open in case it all blew over quickly. In the unlikely event of crowds being allowed back in they may request paused monthly payments be restarted if you want afl member access, but there's no way they'll be asking for backdated payments. They're probably still hoping for finals crowds and collecting a monthly payment for September to those who want access.

Anyway I'm just waiting until August 31 cut off to decide. We might know a bit more by then.

Anyway I'm just waiting until August 31 cut off to decide. We might know a bit more by then.

That is probably the best scenario for anyone that paused the payments when that 1st became available.

I've so far paid:
Gold adult $250
Gold conc $148
Silver jun $68

If it cost $170 for adult/conc and $85 for junior to go absentee, it's a no brainer for my concession and junior member to just continue to pause the payments. They won't qualify for any discount in 2021, but the Gold Concession will receive a $100 value pack and the Silver Junior a $50 value pack. And they don't need any guests passes.

So the only real decision I have to make is in relation to the Gold Adult. Pause all future payments (so far only made 4) and get a $150 value pack, or go absentee and get $80 refunded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back