AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They predicted 80k at the start of the week, now 55k. They won’t get that, desperation now as they’re selling half price tickets and giveaways.
Of the alleged 55k, 20k would be MCC/AFL members so no you’re not locking out anyone with an absolute preference to attend in the scheme of things
They didn't predict 80k, it was always 55k on the MCG website.
The half price tickets have been available all week for 'Telstra Plus' customers. They had a similar deal is last year's finals series, this is not a new thing. They haven't opened up level 4 for sale, to compensate for this they changed a couple of bays near the cheersquads to category 7 seating which works out to about half what it would normally cost to sit there. It means some of the people who would normally reserve a cheap seat up the top but are now unable to, can instead reserve a cheap seat down the bottom.

Cyberdyne

Debutant
May 9, 2011
Croydon
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, Wild, and T-Wolves
I am currently a Silver member (9 years). I called them and asked for my waitlist number. it is 5061. Last year was 5366
I have moved up only 300 spots. Will be waiting another 10 years for Gold at least. what a joke. People aren't giving them up at all

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
I am currently a Silver member (9 years). I called them and asked for my waitlist number. it is 5061. Last year was 5366
I have moved up only 300 spots. Will be waiting another 10 years for Gold at least. what a joke. People aren't giving them up at all

As it stands there isnt much reason to give it up.. unless you get MCC membership.

The only reason the waiting queue will speed up is if circumstances change:
- Reducing the GF allocation further so only gold competing supporters get a ticket to the GF.
- Introduction of photo-id to counter on-sale of tickets.
- Price fee hike. Its still a reasonable cheap option for footy mad supporters.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They upgraded about 850 this year, so you will have moved up at least that many spots when they issue your new waitlist number on your renewal form.

rfc4eva

Team Captain
May 29, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
They upgraded about 850 this year, so you will have moved up at least that many spots when they issue your new waitlist number on your renewal form.
Correct I called yesterday and they said it was the same number on the renewal I'm 7036th and I only moved like 400 the year b4 and I'm an 8yr member

Locking out only 20-30k is fine I reckon.

There will be just as many people (maybe more) that will be missing out on the prelims next week.
The difference is the AFL will make more money at the G not locking out people than locking out people at GMHBA

Why would anyone give it up?

Death?
MCC Membership offered?
Move interestate / overseas - can put it on hold
Maternity leave - can put it on hold

Yes it's clear that the benefits of AFL membership has been eroded, but as the waitlist for both AFL and MCC keep growing and the general price of reserved seats in the public section has risen then I'd say the AFL Membership actually respresents more value now than it ever has

If you've been a member for 9 years, then I could guess and say that you joined up after Collingwood won the 2010 Grand Final. There's probably a number of Collingwood supporters who signed up in the 6 months after the 2010 Grand Final (which is actually a bad thing as AFL Membership doesn't need more full Collingwood members). If you'd signed up before the 2010 Grand Final you might have a significantly lower waitlist number

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why would anyone give it up?

Death?
MCC Membership offered?
Move interestate / overseas - can put it on hold
Maternity leave - can put it on hold

Yes it's clear that the benefits of AFL membership has been eroded, but as the waitlist for both AFL and MCC keep growing and the general price of reserved seats in the public section has risen then I'd say the AFL Membership actually respresents more value now than it ever has

If you've been a member for 9 years, then I could guess and say that you joined up after Collingwood won the 2010 Grand Final. There's probably a number of Collingwood supporters who signed up in the 6 months after the 2010 Grand Final (which is actually a bad thing as AFL Membership doesn't need more full Collingwood members). If you'd signed up before the 2010 Grand Final you might have a significantly lower waitlist number
I joined in 2007 and became a full member in 2015.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
I joined in 2007 and became a full member in 2015.

Same.

I haven’t even attended a GF since I’ve been a full member because I don’t want to pay $200 to watch teams I don’t care about.

But having the option to go means I can’t ever imagine a circumstance in which I’d not renew.

You also look at Dogs, Tigers and WCE all seemingly winning flags from nowhere (none given a chance at the start of each season) and there’s even more incentive for people to hold onto them - because any year could be your team’s year...

Kardinia Boy

Senior List
Jun 6, 2008
Steiglitz
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Canucks
Just saw a bloke get bounced because he didn’t have his membership card. The inspector was prowling between the front doors and the turnstile.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

Why do they refuse to provide these numbers? Wouldn't give it to me when I asked last year via email either. The club breakdowns by Silver & Full should be one of the easiest things they can provide and it should be documented every year in the annual report.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I still can't for the life of me work out how the 2018 grand final allocation for non competing gold members sold out in 10 minutes. How do 6,000 odd tickets sell out in 10 minutes?

It still doesn't sit right with me.
The Ticketek queue. * it and * the afl

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
John, how do you join the queue? I don't recall this when I got Rich-Ade GF tickets...
The queue system was not set up for mobile for that GF. Now they queue all forms of connections. Mobile used to just skip the queue servers and straight in. Now I am no chance

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It should be 16k, not 13. That essentially makes all members eligible.

Don't forget the AFL have been reducing the AFL members GF/general capacity for the last 3 or 4 years. Not surprised if 13k is actually 11k.

I reckon we are deadly close to Gold club support members missing out due to Medallion Club and AFL corporate ticket spread.

Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
Don't forget the AFL have been reducing the AFL members GF/general capacity for the last 3 or 4 years. Not surprised if 13k is actually 11k.

I reckon we are deadly close to Gold club support members missing out due to Medallion Club and AFL corporate ticket spread.
And that’s why I went Collingwood as my nominated club this year, even though I’m a Melbourne supporter, and actually can’t stand Collingwood.

Missed out on getting a ticket last year due to Collingwood having so many Gold members. Collingwood making grand finals is poison for non Collingwood competing Gold members.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
So Richmond v Geelong is the prelim final next Friday night.
I cannot remember how many guest passes they allow for such match ups in prelim final at the G but I got two Tiger supporters that want to go with me next Friday night. How likely are they to allow AFL Full members to have two guest passes to purchase too ?
At moment I am assuming it won't be 2 and be lucky to be even 1 for two Victorian clubs in a preliminary final.

Anyone have a good read on if likely to be able to purchase two guest passes for this game ?

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
I cannot remember how many guest passes they allow for such match ups in prelim final at the G but I got two Tiger supporters that want to go with me next Friday night. How likely are they to allow AFL Full members to have two guest passes to purchase too ?
At moment I am assuming it won't be 2 and be lucky to be even 1 for two Victorian clubs in a preliminary final.

Anyone have a good read on if likely to be able to purchase two guest passes for this game ?
I would guess no guest passes, but that is just a guess.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Tigers v Giants prelim was 1 guest pass level 4 back.
Tigers v Cats QF was 2 guest passes level 4, but they copped a lot of flack and won't be doing that again.

I'm thinking it will be zero and they may open it up later if there are unsold seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back