AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 200 upgrades had a dodgy vibe, but the data absolutely confirms shenanigans imo.

I only compare it to the vibe I feel in AFL members. There has been a clear shift from a purely card holding, member vibe 3 years ago when upgrades were 2000 per year to the corporate, ticket whoring, paper ticket waving, General admission flog wandering section we see before us today.

There is definite AFL shenanigans, where I believe gold members who have been dropping off are not offered to silver but allocated to medallion club or other corporate partners.

Wouldn't surprise me if gold members are not even 30,000 anymore. Feels like 20k

I only compare it to the vibe I feel in AFL members. There has been a clear shift from a purely card holding, member vibe 3 years ago when upgrades were 2000 per year to the corporate, ticket whoring, paper ticket waving, General admission flog wandering section we see before us today.

There is definite AFL shenanigans, where I believe gold members who have been dropping off are not offered to silver but allocated to medallion club or other corporate partners.

Wouldn't surprise me if gold members are not even 30,000 anymore. Feels like 20k

The fact they refuse to provide the breakdowns of silver/full for each club makes it dodgy as well. Why would they not provide that? They used to so why are they so cagey about it now?

They used the Essendon drug scandal as a reason for the minimal upgrades a couple of years back (stating a lot of Essendon supporters took a year off then came back) but then when it happened again the next year they had no reasonable answer.

AFL members has definitely been diluted and this is no more evident than on GF day.

Yep. About 10 years ago they estimated an 8-10 year wait. Then they said 10-12. Now it's around 18 years from signing up to full but that'll probably blow out further as well.

I bought the membership on the basis of a 8-10 year wait for gold. The last few years I’ve only been able to attend a handful of games each year so not getting value but have considered it an investment for the future... which clearly isn’t the case. i’ve waited this long for gold though, feel like it will be all for nothing if I drop it now.

I bought the membership on the basis of a 8-10 year wait for gold. The last few years I’ve only been able to attend a handful of games each year so not getting value but have considered it an investment for the future... which clearly isn’t the case. i’ve waited this long for gold though, feel like it will be all for nothing if I drop it now.

I did the same mate, I've been a full member since 2003ish but when my kids were born in 2013 and 2015 I signed them up thinking by the time they were 10 I'd be able to take them to the Grand Final every year. Now they probably won't get a full membership until they're about 18 and they'll be lucky to get tickets to a Grand Final unless Melbourne's playing (so hardly ever...)

Starting to question the value of the membership to be honest especially with the contempt the AFL Members Department treats us

Who knows - If you'd joined 2 years earlier I think you'd be a full member.

Lots of Pies fans joined after 2010/2011

I joined about that time, was told by members department there was a massive influx at that time, and if I’d joined 6 months earlier I’d have been ok.

Disagree.
I used to use paper tickets, started using phone tickets the last year or so, just scanned in last week, people have preferences, doesn't mean they're not a member or guest pass holder. I haven't noticed any change at all in the reserve in the last few years.

People weren't complaining when the upgrade rate was way above average for a few years, but are quick to claim conspiracy when it's well below average a couple of years.

I joined about that time, was told by members department there was a massive influx at that time, and if I’d joined 6 months earlier I’d have been ok.
I'm only guessing on this one but reasonable to think there's a spike in Tigers fans signing up over the next 6 months following the 2017 Grand Final

Melbourne and Richmond have been playing at MCG for decades so many of their members are in MCC.
However Victoria Park and AFL Park Waverley closed about the same time, so it is logical that many Collingwood supporters joined AFL membership about the same time that Collingwood started playing home games at the MCG.

I did the same mate, I've been a full member since 2003ish but when my kids were born in 2013 and 2015 I signed them up thinking by the time they were 10 I'd be able to take them to the Grand Final every year. Now they probably won't get a full membership until they're about 18 and they'll be lucky to get tickets to a Grand Final unless Melbourne's playing (so hardly ever...)

Starting to question the value of the membership to be honest especially with the contempt the AFL Members Department treats us

There are only two problems for Grand Finals
1. If Collingwood are in the Grand Final as there are too many Collingwood Full members
2. People giving to friends or selling their Grand Final ticket

In the 2017 Grand Final the Southern Stand moved in a way I've never felt it before and the AFL Reserve felt like it was 75%+ Richmond fans - a significant number of AFL members clearly had bought tickets for someone else to attend

But if you look at a "normal" Grand Final being the 2012-2017 ones - Victorian club who isn't Collingwood playing an interstate club then in most years every full member who wants to attend will get a seat

There are only two problems for Grand Finals
1. If Collingwood are in the Grand Final as there are too many Collingwood Full members
2. People giving to friends or selling their Grand Final ticket

In the 2017 Grand Final the Southern Stand moved in a way I've never felt it before and the AFL Reserve felt like it was 75%+ Richmond fans - a significant number of AFL members clearly had bought tickets for someone else to attend

But if you look at a "normal" Grand Final being the 2012-2017 ones - Victorian club who isn't Collingwood playing an interstate club then in most years every full member who wants to attend will get a seat

Hope so, I'm looking forward to going with the kids in the future regardless of who is playing

Hopefully there is a crackdown on members giving their tickets to "friends" or scalping. Would fix a huge part of the problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m in my 9th year of membership (joined 2011) with Collingwood club support and I’m still number 5557 on the waitlist... the way things are going it could be another 10 years until I turn gold, does this seem right?
850 upgrades this year, probably more like 5 or 6 years.

I remember when I joined in Dec 07 the estimate was 10 years but they made it clear it was only an estimate based on historic info and came with a huge asterisk.

I’m in my 9th year of membership (joined 2011) with Collingwood club support and I’m still number 5557 on the waitlist... the way things are going it could be another 10 years until I turn gold, does this seem right?
I joined mid 2011 and I'm 7036th.how does that work lol

What's everyone's confidence level of getting a GF ticket if it's a Richmond V GWS grand final, if you're a non competing gold member?

What's everyone's confidence level of getting a GF ticket if it's a Richmond V GWS grand final, if you're a non competing gold member?

I’d say you’ll get the opportunity.

As far as the gold membership waitlist goes, I know for an absolute fact that the MCC has an annual attrition rate that cycles between 2.5-4.5%.

Given they have approx. 100,000+ members, they induct around 3-5k new members each year (this is a bit wishy-washy at the moment with the provisional category still being filled out, but historically 4-5k has been on the money.

If there are 30k gold members, using the MCC's membership data, they should be upgrading at an absolute minimum, 700 people per year.

To put the last few years of 200 upgrades in context, it suggests an attrition rate of 0.6%. 5x lower than than the MCC- A far more desirable membership that is usually only given up due to death.

The 200 upgrades had a dodgy vibe, but the data absolutely confirms shenanigans imo.

Why is MCC "a far more desirable membership" than AFL membership?

The dining rooms and bars are much better in the MCC, but a key drawcard of going to the footy for me is having the freedom to drink a beer in the stands and watch the game. You can't do this in the MCC.

I also like that I can reserve Level 2/2A seating in the AFL members and rock up at my own leisure. If I want Level 2 seating in the MCC, I have to take a day off work or camp out overnight.

Is there something I'm missing?

Why is MCC "a far more desirable membership" than AFL membership?

The dining rooms and bars are much better in the MCC, but a key drawcard of going to the footy for me is having the freedom to drink a beer in the stands and watch the game. You can't do this in the MCC.

I also like that I can reserve Level 2/2A seating in the AFL members and rock up at my own leisure. If I want Level 2 seating in the MCC, i have to take a day off work or camp out overnight.

Is there something I'm missing?
Access to cricket is a big draw card I would imagine

Access to cricket is a big draw card I would imagine

I reserved $30 seats in N23 (Level 2) for Boxing Day through my AFL membership when tickets went on sale. I'm going with a few mates and we're looking forward to enjoying a few beers in the stands.

My brother watched the test in the MCC last year and didn't see a ball because he was in the bar all day...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back