Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
I elected to pay my membership in full back in May knowing it’ll essentially be a donation this season. I received an email shortly after stating an offer for member value packs would be sent at the end of May but as of right now, I haven’t received anything. Has anyone else? I’ve checked the junk/spam folders too, just in case but there’s nothing as yet. Obviously there’s not a great deal of stress but curious to know if others have received any further communication.

Received this on June 1, but June 30 has come and gone with no further updates.

To ensure we can deliver you the best experience, due to limited numbers in the AFL Membership team, unfortunately, we have delayed the availability for you to select your 2021 AFL Membership Value Pack until late June.

TigerR

Senior List
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I received my refund last week for switching to absentee this year. I put in the request as soon as they emailed out the options, whenever that was.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Yeah I'm planning on going the absentee route too - I'll wait a little while longer just to see what happens but it would be a miracle for 1) crowds to be allowed back in Vic this year and 2) Melbourne to make finals

Perhaps I could load up on a double on that in case both those things eventuate and it can pay for my finals tickets 😄

When is the cut off for absentee membership? It is fair to say it is very unlikely to see any matches in Melbourne.

I'm pretty sure the cutoff for absentee option is August 31.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I'm planning on going the absentee route too - I'll wait a little while longer just to see what happens but it would be a miracle for 1) crowds to be allowed back in Vic this year and 2) Melbourne to make finals

Perhaps I could load up on a double on that in case both those things eventuate and it can pay for my finals tickets 😄

I'm pretty sure the cutoff for absentee option is August 31.
They have allowed those who choose absentee to change back later in the year if crowds do get back.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s pretty rich of the AFL, the ramifications they place on members who request a full refund.

It’s looking increasingly likely that they cannot supply any product in Melbourne this year, yet if you ask for a full refund, you lose your current status and years of membership.

Don't you just go absentee? So pay a small amount but still hold your place and progress

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Don't you just go absentee? So pay a small amount but still hold your place and progress
I think the posters argument is he should be entitled to a full refund without losing his membership status as they can't supply what he signed up for. And rightfully so as they haven't supplied the product and are unlikely to.

Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the posters argument is he should be entitled to a full refund without losing his membership status as they can't supply what he signed up for. And rightfully so as they haven't supplied the product and are unlikely to.

Bingo. $170 odd is hardly a small amount, just to keep your current position/status.

It’s highly likely they are unable to provide a single thing for us this year. And I understand that the absentee portion goes to your nominated club, but many have a separate club membership anyway. And if someone is really affected by the economic downturn, stripping them of the hard earned status, whilst providing zero benefit is all sorts of AFL.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Bingo. $170 odd is hardly a small amount, just to keep your current position/status.

It’s highly likely they are unable to provide a single thing for us this year. And I understand that the absentee portion goes to your nominated club, but many have a separate club membership anyway. And if someone is really affected by the economic downturn, stripping them of the hard earned status, whilst providing zero benefit is all sorts of AFL.
I agree, at least the $175 goes to your club but as a gold member I’m never giving that up to get a full refund so they have really not given us much of a choice.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

Ah yes, that makes sense.

I'd forgotten it was $170+, fair bit of money for nothing, particularly in this time.

BMW3

Rookie
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

They had us over a barrell on this one - and as usual for me - it's the lack of transparency the AFL provide that disappoints
I am fully aware that $170 is a lot of money for some/many members - but try and see that the clubs, AFL and game itself is hurting - and at least that 'donation' is helping somewhat.
If/when everything gets back to normal - we will be back at the Footy. But rest assured, the impact for clubs and AFL will be long lasting for many years

Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
They had us over a barrell on this one - and as usual for me - it's the lack of transparency the AFL provide that disappoints
I am fully aware that $170 is a lot of money for some/many members - but try and see that the clubs, AFL and game itself is hurting - and at least that 'donation' is helping somewhat.
If/when everything gets back to normal - we will be back at the Footy. But rest assured, the impact for clubs and AFL will be long lasting for many years

I don’t disagree that the game is hurting and will do for years to come. But I’d never expect a person to put the needs of the game over the needs of their family. If a 30 year AFL member had lost both their household incomes and needs a full refund this year, it’s a slap in the face for the AFL to strip them of their gold status, when they are not even providing any games to attend.

I personally don’t need the money back and am happy for Richmond to keep that portion, however nor do I think the options given by the AFL are fair and I’m pretty sure the ACCC would agree.

hawksrule111

Senior List
Jul 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t disagree that the game is hurting and will do for years to come. But I’d never expect a person to put the needs of the game over the needs of their family. If a 30 year AFL member had lost both their household incomes and needs a full refund this year, it’s a slap in the face for the AFL to strip them of their gold status, when they are not even providing any games to attend.

I personally don’t need the money back and am happy for Richmond to keep that portion, however nor do I think the options given by the AFL are fair and I’m pretty sure the ACCC would agree.

I believe they actually worked hand in hand with the ACCC to see what they could / couldn't offer members. Regardless, I agree and it's typical AFL.

I've been fairly annoyed at the quiet reduction of seats in AFL members at the G for a while. Hawks played GWS last year on Sunday twlight. There were about 18k there and yet we couldn't walk up onto level P. The value is declining on the membership by the day.

Last edited:

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
I believe they actually worked hand in hand with the ACCC to see what they could / couldn't offer members. Regardless, I agree and it's typical AFL.

I've been fairly annoyed at the quiet reduction of seats in AFL members at the G for a while. Hawks played GWS last year on Sunday twlight. There were about 18k there and yet we couldn't walk up onto level P. The value is declining on the membership by the day.
The reserve seating situation is a joke. I’ve been an afl member since 1996 and back then you could sit anywhere you liked in the afl members. Now even the reserve seat area for members on N level is 2 bays in the fwd pocket, just diminishing year on year. Grand final access is still really good however big finals are hard work. I missed out on a ticket to the Collingwood Richmond prelim as a Richmond support gold member in 2018 which shouldn’t happen.

Last edited:

hawksrule111

Senior List
Jul 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The reserve seating situation is a joke. I’ve been an afl since 1996 and back then you could sit anywhere you liked in the afl members. Now even the reserve seat area for members on N level is 2 bays in the fwd pocket, just diminishing year on year. Grand final access is still really good however big finals are hard work. I missed out on a ticket to the Collingwood Richmond prelim as a Richmond support gold member in 2018 which shouldn’t happen.

Yep, I'm 30 years AFL member this year (nothing to mark the occasion) yet missed out on a seat to the Hawks v Tigers qtr final the other year. Glad they have put in place a tiered system for finals but I was filthy at the time.

I could handle getting booted from level N but being booted from P without a reserved seat is pathetic, especially for games that barely have 20k people there. If it wasn't for the excellent grand final access I would've changed to social club long ago.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Part of the product is waiting in line for Gold membership. Paying the absentee price guarantees that.

I elected to pay my membership in full back in May knowing it’ll essentially be a donation this season. I received an email shortly after stating an offer for member value packs would be sent at the end of May but as of right now, I haven’t received anything. Has anyone else? I’ve checked the junk/spam folders too, just in case but there’s nothing as yet. Obviously there’s not a great deal of stress but curious to know if others have received any further communication.
There was a later email saying they would send it out late june:

Hi Pakenhamsaint,

Thank you for selecting to Maintain your 2020 AFL Membership payments.

To ensure we can deliver you the best experience, due to limited numbers in the AFL Membership team, unfortunately, we have delayed the availability for you to select your 2021 AFL Membership Value Pack until late June.

We apologise for any inconvenience and look forward to sharing more information with you soon. For Member FAQs about the changes to your Membership for 2020, click here.

Thank you for your ongoing support, understanding and patience.

AFL Membership

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Where have they said this? I can't see it written anywhere and I have emailed them but haven't had a response yet.
Found below on their T&C’s page. So as long as you don’t refund if games have crowds later in the year you can get access.
720E3FC1-0F3E-461D-8F75-1643D7611F4B.png

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Found below on their T&C’s page. So as long as you don’t refund if games have crowds later in the year you can get access.
View attachment 909312

That doesn't say your access will be reinstated though.

If you read the asterisks at the bottom of those pages it says those who retain their full Membership will have access at AFL Member rates and those who pause or convert to absentee will have access to games at CLUB member rates. That doesn't give me any confidence that you would be able to get access to the GF and normal finals will cost far more (ie you would be paying $80+ booking fee for Weeks 1 & 2 of finals instead of just the $20 to reserve a seat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back