Status
Not open for further replies.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
That doesn't say your access will be reinstated though.

If you read the asterisks at the bottom of those pages it says those who retain their full Membership will have access at AFL Member rates and those who pause or convert to absentee will have access to games at CLUB member rates. That doesn't give me any confidence that you would be able to get access to the GF and normal finals will cost far more (ie you would be paying $80+ booking fee for Weeks 1 & 2 of finals instead of just the $20 to reserve a seat)
Yeah might have missed that, might want to discuss with them directly. Alternative is keep your membership going and pay the few hundred extra doesn’t sound appealing in the off chance their are finals in Melbourne that crowds can attend. I’ve pretty much written off going to the footy this year.

Amen Corner

Debutant
Feb 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Where does it say you can lose your membership (Gold)? If you cancel or ask for refund? I didn’t read that. Very mean spirited if that’s the case IMO.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Where does it say you can lose your membership (Gold)? If you cancel or ask for refund? I didn’t read that. Very mean spirited if that’s the case IMO.

I would like a full refund. What does this mean for my AFL Membership?
We understand it is a challenging and uncertain time right now for many of us. We will provide a full refund for your 2020 AFL Membership; however, it will mean you are no longer an AFL Member and will no longer receive the associated benefits.

Amen Corner

Debutant
Feb 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Wow. That’s harsh. So to maintain your membership the $170 absentee is the cheapest way to do it despite getting absolutely nothing coming back the other way except the “warm fuzzies”? They should be offering refunds IMO, just freeze the waiting list for one year, is that so diabolical? This shows how out of touch the AFL is from society IMO. That being the case, I wonder what sort of movement there will be in that waiting list in 2021.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Wow. That’s harsh. So to maintain your membership the $170 absentee is the cheapest way to do it despite getting absolutely nothing coming back the other way except the “warm fuzzies”? They should be offering refunds IMO, just freeze the waiting list for one year, is that so diabolical? This shows how out of touch the AFL is from society IMO. That being the case, I wonder what sort of movement there will be in that waiting list in 2021.
It will be a big movement. I might even move up a few thousand places.

There's also no guarantee that there will be crowds next year either. That would stop even more from renewing.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Option 2 (absentee) says that you maintain your Gold Membership or maintain and progress your Silver membership on the waitlist to Gold.

This is not listed as a feature of Option 3 (pause). Does anyone know if you maintain your position in the wait list if you choose this option

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Option 2 (absentee) says that you maintain your Gold Membership or maintain and progress your Silver membership on the waitlist to Gold.

This is not listed as a feature of Option 3 (pause). Does anyone know if you maintain your position in the wait list if you choose this option
Yes you maintain it.
The pause option was for people paying monthly that wanted to stop the payments continuing. 4 payments had already been collected by the time they first offered that option in late March = about $240 which is more than the absentee price $170.
There wouldn't be much point choosing pause now because you would have made 8 payments = $480.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Got an email about 2021 Value Packs. Able to select up to September 30.

Choices for me were:

1. 4 Guest Passes (2x Adult, 2x Junior)
2. 4 Reserved Seat Upgrades, 4 AFL Records, 2021 Season Guide

That's for the $100 value. Those with the $200 value I'd hope would get more than that.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
So with no games in Vic this season I’m guessing they’ll be a fair few ppl going the absentee option?

$170 to progress at the expense of others suffering financially. I'm sure I'll be much more accepting of it when I hit gold in a few years and forget about this time, but feels a bit yuck right now.

kriles76

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2003
37° 44′ 00″ S, 144° 51′ 59″ E
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Keilor Bowls Club
So with no games in Vic this season I’m guessing they’ll be a fair few ppl going the absentee option?
I elected to go absentee with our family of four yesterday. Wife and I are gold, kids are silver.

Was emailed a response asking me to make a choice for a refund above the minimum spend ($170 for adults and $85 for juniors); or use the proceeds to go towards 2021 fees.

I selected the latter so it's not too much of a kick in the **** for the AFL. To be honest, the terms offered by the AFL Membership team have been fair and reasonable IMHO.

I elected to move to the absentee membership as I couldn’t justify paying full price for my old AFL membership and for my Saints reserved seat membership.

I eventually received an email back asking me to confirm details and did so. The response advised me the payment may take up to 28 days because of the short staff.

29 days later I emailed them to check on the progress. I got an automatic response advising me that due to being short staffed I could expect a reply in 15 days.

I haven’t heard back yet. It’s been over the 15 days. More than 1.5 months and still no refund.

I appreciate that many organisations have been made to strip back, but this is ludicrous. When I contacted the St Kilda Membership team to negotiate a partial refund/partial pledge arrangement they credited the refund part ON THE SAME DAY!

Unfortunately the above experience has contributed to growing negativity towards a membership I have long enjoyed. I find it strange that they are not obliged to be transparent about exactly how many seats are available for members in any given game, including the GF. They seem to be able to reduce AFL member capacity at will and without any transparency. Despite buying Marvel Stadium the AFL have done nothing to make the membership even slightly more attractive at that venue. And the decision to force the absentee rate on people who are unable to attend games is a real shame. The game is absent, not us.

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
1.5 months and still no refund

I got my refund but it took them 32 days. All they care about is your money, and the only way they will recognise any dissatisfaction is if you withhold it - cut the supply.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I elected to move to the absentee membership as I couldn’t justify paying full price for my old AFL membership and for my Saints reserved seat membership.

I eventually received an email back asking me to confirm details and did so. The response advised me the payment may take up to 28 days because of the short staff.

29 days later I emailed them to check on the progress. I got an automatic response advising me that due to being short staffed I could expect a reply in 15 days.

I haven’t heard back yet. It’s been over the 15 days. More than 1.5 months and still no refund.

I appreciate that many organisations have been made to strip back, but this is ludicrous. When I contacted the St Kilda Membership team to negotiate a partial refund/partial pledge arrangement they credited the refund part ON THE SAME DAY!

Unfortunately the above experience has contributed to growing negativity towards a membership I have long enjoyed. I find it strange that they are not obliged to be transparent about exactly how many seats are available for members in any given game, including the GF. They seem to be able to reduce AFL member capacity at will and without any transparency. Despite buying Marvel Stadium the AFL have done nothing to make the membership even slightly more attractive at that venue. And the decision to force the absentee rate on people who are unable to attend games is a real shame. The game is absent, not us.

That's shithouse. I emailed them with a question over a week ago and haven't had a response. I put my family's absentee choices through yesterday will be interested to see how long the refunds take.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back