Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
The GF guarantee for gold is pretty much everything. If they ever lose that because of too many corporates, its over.

It's already been diluted considering it's been close to impossible to get a ticket unless your team is playing for a number of years let alone booking a number of tickets in a group.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
50% of the value is the waitlist/GF guarantee. It's why they can get away with it.
Even the GF is no guarantee - it is "subject to capacity", whatever the AFL deem that to be? Priority is given to competing team members. Would've been interesting if Collingwood got through in 2019.

On top of the $600 you're paying for Gold membership, you've got to fork out another $200 to reserve a GF ticket if you can get one!

Individual clubs offer memberships that guarantee GF tickets should they make it. Our club has amongst others the Maurice Rioli Club which is about $250-$300 and guarantees GF tickets (I think it's full atm). At least you can sleep comfortable knowing your money has gone to your club and not the f'kn gestapo at City Hall to feather their own nests!!

DeanoT

Premiership Player
May 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic
Agree its value has decreased, but still the best product around if you want to go to games in Melbourne, and not just your own team, and you want GF access.

AFL knows it, and Full Members know it too, hence the high retention rates, and long waitlist.

Not good enough.

And I encourage those who feel the same way to reply to the email we all just received expressing your concerns.

NRL minor premiers and defending champions Melbourne Storm is offering its Victorian fans free membership for 2022.

Storm fans have only watched their team five times in the past two years at AAMI Park because of COVID-19 restrictions.

The initiative is the first by any Victorian club, with Storm rewarding its loyal fans for their support.

#foodforthought

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Thats for one team and 12 games?
I'm sure like everyone else they too felt the financial pinch.

and yet...
“You have not only shown your commitment by buying a membership each year, but you have engaged with the club and our players in record numbers across our social and digital media channels.

“We couldn’t be the club we are today without your support – it has been overwhelming.

“That’s why next year, we are pleased to announce your membership is on us – your club, Melbourne Storm.”

AFL Membership Department -
a8Uv7Gn.png

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Even the GF is no guarantee - it is "subject to capacity", whatever the AFL deem that to be? Priority is given to competing team members. Would've been interesting if Collingwood got through in 2019.

On top of the $600 you're paying for Gold membership, you've got to fork out another $200 to reserve a GF ticket if you can get one!

Individual clubs offer memberships that guarantee GF tickets should they make it. Our club has amongst others the Maurice Rioli Club which is about $250-$300 and guarantees GF tickets (I think it's full atm). At least you can sleep comfortable knowing your money has gone to your club and not the f'kn gestapo at City Hall to feather their own nests!!
A gold member who logs on the moment tickets go on sale has always gotten a ticket to the Grand final.

An MRC membership costs more than Gold, and is sold out. And is only useful if Richmond make it.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
A gold member who logs on the moment tickets go on sale has always gotten a ticket to the Grand final.

An MRC membership costs more than Gold, and is sold out. And is only useful if Richmond make it.
Yes, you will get tickets for the GF as a gold member if your club makes it. Don't forget the 2 GFs we played at the MCG were against Adelaide and GWS. Had we played Collingwood in 2019 it would've been more of a shitfight.

Also, don't forget you are paying for the OPPORTUNITY to get GF tickets IF YOUR CLUB MAKES IT, and at an additional cost of $200. Otherwise, if your club does not make it, you either get lucky and score a ticket or you have made a donation to the AFL. I'd sooner make that donation to the RFC. A MRC membership added to a standard RFC membership is cheaper than Gold AFL.

In the past all Full (Gold) Members could get to the GF for a token fee of about $30 to reserve a seat. Over the years the AFL has cleverly increased the number of full (gold) members beyond their capacity to accommodate all should they wish to attend, at the same time jacking up the reserve seat fee. Hence they introduced the "subject to capacity" clause only tempting people with the very likely prospect of obtaining a GF ticket if your team makes it.

The only positive for AFL members when we could attend in 2021 was the booking fee was waived. Otherwise you are paying an additional $9 for every game you attend on top of your membership. Add all that up and see whether AFL membership is value for money. I'd suggest paying general admittance at the gate for each game you attend would be cheaper.

Each to their own, but having spent the last 2 years funding the AFL with very little return (albeit without the AFL to blame), I find this so-called compensation package insulting to say the least and they can jam my membership up their arse.

Amen Corner

Debutant
Feb 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
I guarantee there will be more than just me. Someone else can get reamed by the AFL. AFL membership no longer is the value for money product it used to be, and that was before Covid.
I’m seriously considering it too. Although my team has been the epitome of mediocre for the past 20 years and I’ve had next to zero value for finals access, although I have been fortunate to go to the GF in 2016-2018. We were all wiped out by 2020 and I think most understood that but I feel really disappointed albeit not surprised by the latest offer. As I posted a few pages ago, Essendon were reamed by the fixture this year with 5 interstate games in the first 11 rounds before Covid hit Melbourne and took away Dreamtime, Hawks game to Launceston and a hub on the Gold Coast for matches against NM & GWS which would’ve been at Marvel. Covid caps meant many of us bomber supporters missed out on tickets to early season matches. I think I determined I’ve paid approx $1,000 for the privilege of attending 4 matches. The club offers a GF guarantee for an additional $100 to any membership that includes 11 home matches and all the money goes to the club. It’s something worth serious consideration after a long time as an AFL member. I really feel for the teams like Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne and the Bulldogs who’ve been denied access to deep finals runs the past two years.

t0mmO

All Australian
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just received my renewal notice. Relatively standard progression through the waiting list.
Maybe 200-300 spots further than usual. Would be interested to hear from people further ahead in the queue.

2016 - first season of membership.
Renewal for 2017: 18664
Renewal for 2018: 16518
Renewal for 2019: 15584
Renewal for 2020: 14406
Renewal for 2021: 13357
Renewal for 2022: 12018

bucko_666

Senior List
Oct 6, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just updated my OP with my sons 2021 waitlist number.
Love that this post is still going strong after 10 years !

Zoburger

Draftee
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Just received my renewal notice. Relatively standard progression through the waiting list.
Maybe 200-300 spots further than usual. Would be interested to hear from people further ahead in the queue.

2016 - first season of membership.
Renewal for 2017: 18664
Renewal for 2018: 16518
Renewal for 2019: 15584
Renewal for 2020: 14406
Renewal for 2021: 13357
Renewal for 2022: 12018

I joined at the end of 2011 (I think)
This year I’m 5030 on the waitlist and last year I was 5816

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back