AFL star’s anti-vax views cost him friendship

Remove this Banner Ad

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
I honestly find that site a bit too snarky for my liking.

You can oppose antivaxxers and everything they stand for, without actively gloating and sneering over their deaths and suffering.....
I have given that site a good read over the last couple of days out of curiosity and rubber neckism. I found the posts themselves not so bad especially considering some of the s**t views these people had often right up until they died but the comments on each case are truly awful. Shameful even.

Because a lot of anti-vaxxers (including most of the people on that site) are human beings who have been targeted by internet based propaganda, misinformation and grifters. Many of them self evidently come from low socio-economic backgrounds, or have mental health issues.

They're vulnerable.

It's hard to have sympathy here, but they all died in horrible ways, after being brainwashed via social media algorithms.

I reserve my lack of sympathy and true hatred for the grifters themselves. The Tucker Carlsons, Alex Joneses and similar *******s, who profit via the deliberate targeting of these people.

Them and the doctors. They should ******* know better.
The Republican’s have a vested interest in sabotage in regards to any successful vaccine roll out Biden achieves
All the right wing grifters including Joe Rogan don’t want a win for Biden and are happy to sacrifice lives to achieve it

The stories seem to be very much cautionary tales but the comments are pretty gross.

I think the intent was absolutely to tell true stories to make anti vaxxers aware of the reality of their position but it seems like its been hijacked by some pretty terrible people.
This, we don’t need them spilling onto Bigfooty either.

I think it's worth noting that the number of deaths in the US per head of population is 2,550 per million (over 850,000 deaths). In Australia, it's 88 per million (just under 3,000 deaths). I can sort of understand why people over there are so angry at anti-vaxxers. There's also far more mainstream support for anti-vax views in the US - we've got bipartisan support from the major parties that vaccines works.

Doesn't justify the vitriol on the site and I agree it's probably not conductive to getting people to change their minds but I can understand why people in the US in particular, feel that way.

Because the government would still be imposing restrictions on them?
I respond to you reluctantly.

Many businesses, including my own family’s small-medium sized business, is currently being smashed by staff shortages due to covid infection. Of the dozen or so FTE staff on the books, only 5 were available today (3 are on annual leave). That’s almost half FTE and more than half of the actual 17 individual staff members unable to attend their job. Getting locus to offset the shortage of stuff is extremely problematic too.

Of course this also leaves the few who are well enough to attend the workplace totally overwhelmed. The number of attending patients hasn’t declined at all, so the non-infected staff are working themselves into the ground trying to keep up and manage the situation.

This is primarily due to the existence of Covid. For all of their collective stuff-ups, this is not the fault of our state or even our clumsy federal government.

Have you read any of the comments? That's exactly what the people reading and commenting are doing.

I agree with that, but the site itself doesn't belittle them, other than highlight their posts on social media (which always follow a predictable pattern).

The comments from others though, well that s**t's on those people (recent High Court decision aside).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the scholarly Jack Darling been vaccinated yet?

I'm sure cutting them off and socially isolating them in one of the loneliest times in recent history would do great things for their mental health and welfare.

And you know what sport, I don't give a sh!t.

I'll put the wellbeing of myself and my family ahead of any of my "friends" who make the uneducated but very conscious decision to compromise that.

They made their choice.

And you know what sport, I don't give a sh!t.

I'll put the wellbeing of myself and my family ahead of any of my "friends" who make the uneducated but very conscious decision to compromise that.

They made their choice.
So you don't care about them then and your comment about caring for their welfare was a crock of .... Good to know bud.

So you don't care about them then and your comment about caring for their welfare was a crock of .... Good to know bud.

No, I really don't.

They don't give two fcuks about me. It goes both ways.

And what comment about caring for their welfare?

Imagine cutting off ties with a friend because they didn't want a vaccination.
Usually this is accompanied by other freak behaviour like SovCit s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back