AFL star’s anti-vax views cost him friendship

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Mate, he (Max Planck, the guy whos quote you are butchering) doesnt say coffin OR funeral. He says...

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”

You said coffin and people who misquote it say funeral. He said neither.
Go easy on Monkey. He's a little distracted at the minute. Today had been set aside for polishing his university medals.

Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
Footy players are recruited pretty young, their broader education must be stunted compared to the general populace. I'm surprised more players aren't so scraed of the jab they feel they need to retire rather than continue in their career as a vaxxed player.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I never quoted Max Planck. I merely said "as the saying goes" and then paraphrased.

And that's the notion in a nutshell. Being a pedant over the word "coffin" and "funeral" is just your poor character honestly. Lift your game. This is pathetic.
The saying attributed to the Planck quote...

Also im not being a pedant over "coffin" or "funeral" im being a pedant over the fact that neither of those words is used in the "saying" or the quote. So when you say "as the saying goes" and no one has any idea what the * youre talking about cause this "saying" is just one you and your mate in Colorado made up, you are very well aware of the fact its not because were all morons who dont read science its cause you have no idea what youre talking about.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Being a pedant over the word "coffin" and "funeral" is just your poor character honestly.
I thought we were meant to be civil with those we disagree with?

I mean being pedantic about word use is surely less of an issue than say, a group of people making an ignorant, selfish and/or reckless decision not to get vaccinated?

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
The saying attributed to Planck quote...

The saying is - science progresses one funeral at a time.

That's the saying.

You are being a pedant over a word that represents the same thing.

I appreciate that 20 minutes ago you'd never heard about it.

And you can tell. The way you talk about this is not of someone who knows what it's about.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Reading.

But absolutely. Reading Richard Dawkins will only point you to the science. Just follow the citations.

Wow! You seem to be learning. I am impressed.
See bolded. Again paraphrasing.

I never quoted Max Planck. I merely said "as the saying goes" and then paraphrased.

And that's the notion in a nutshell.

Being a pedant over the word "listening" and "reading", well that's just your poor character honestly.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The saying is - science progresses one funeral at a time.

That's the saying.

You are being a pedant over a word that represents the same thing.

I appreciate that 20 minutes ago you'd never heard about it.

And you can tell. The way you talk about this is not of someone who knows what it's about.
Except its not. Plancks quote is (for the third time)

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it

The abridged or paraphrased version of this is

Science progresses one funeral at a time

You'll notice that neither of these contains the word coffin, so at least weve progressed to the point that you acknowledge what youve be using as the saying for however long is wrong (noting its pretty important to get sayings right lest no one have any idea what youre on about). As an example for you if i said "Youve got a flake on your shoulder" youd have no ******* clue what i was talking about. Flake is a synonym for chip, a common saying being "youve got a chip on your shoulder".

A saying is generally defined as a short, commonly known expression which generally offers advice or wisdom, especially attributed to a political or religious leader.

For your benefit lets add physicist to that list.

What you have said is not only not commonly known, its wrong AND its a paraphrase.

You also chose to shorten the saying to just " one coffin at a time" with no context, which makes even less sense, then had the gall to imply everyone who called you out on it is an idiot.

So if you wanna question my character perhaps have a check of your own for getting so aggressively upset at others for not understanding your repeated mistake.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought we were meant to be civil with those we disagree with?

I mean being pedantic about word use is surely less of an issue than say, a group of people making an ignorant, selfish and/or reckless decision not to get vaccinated?
Hes not really mad at me, hes mad at himself for not knowing a quote or saying and looking like a fool when a bunch of people who have never heard it before realise we havent heard it before cause he got it wrong.

Children often get frsutrated at themselves but take it out on others so its no suprise its happened here.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Except its not.

Sure. And rain is not wet and the sun is made of paper.

Dude. I get it. Like 20 minutes ago you had never even heard of this saying.

It's very common saying though I assure you. Tells ya what, head over to Youtube and you can become better acquainted with the expression.

Except for the word coffin. That was my word. Which is totally fine, unless you're compulsively pedantic.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

It's very common saying though I assure you. Tells ya what, head over to Youtube and you can become better acquainted with the expression.

Except for the word coffin. That was my word. Which is totally fine, unless you're compulsively pedantic and insecure.
Provided i use the right one, which is not your one and provided im familiar with the quote to which the paraphrased version is referencing.

Its been brought up a bunch of times with you and you seem desperate to ignore it but your message and delivery seems to get you into trouble over and over and over again yet you remain absolutrly adamant everyone else is the issue.

Maybe think on that for a bit?

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Provided i use the right one,

You might also hear someone saying this as "science advances one funeral at a time"

You should go badger those people for using the word "advances" instead of "progresses".

Or you could look like a real idiot and insist they use the Max Plack quote when discussing the concept.

Maybe think on that for a bit?

Yeah nah. You overtly attempt to misunderstand or twist and argue over meaningless things. This "coffin" foray has revealed that beyond doubt.

It's a fragility.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
You might also hear someone saying this as "science advances one funeral at a time"

You should go badger those people for using the word "advances" instead of "progresses".

Or you could look like a real idiot and insist they use the Max Plack quote when discussing the concept.

Lol. You're hilarious. So fragile.
Personally ive never heard anyone use any version of that saying so perhaps its not as common as you think, might even be cause people like you misquote it so often that its never entered to popular lexicon?

Speaking of fragility, how did you time considering your approach to discussions and your own actions and delivery go? Any deep outcomes and considerations?

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Personally ive never heard anyone use any version of that saying so perhaps its not as common as you think ...

I have no doubt you have never heard it before. But you'd be hard to find a scientist who hasn't.

Which is why you blokes actually having to search for it and then carry on about it so funny to me. All the while, not even addressing the point being made. It's a mob mentality.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Except for the word coffin. That was my word. Which is totally fine, unless you're compulsively pedantic.
Went to youtube 3 hits on the first page with some variation on "One funeral at a time".

Chip on the shoulder the whole first page is covered.

I have no doubt you have never heard it before. But you'd be hard to find a scientist who hasn't.

Which is why you blokes actually having to search for it and then carry on about it so funny to me. All the while, not even addressing the point being made.
So now youre shocked that not everyone on big footy is a scientist?

Ill remember that when i use some obscure construction acronym, its everyone else responsibility to not only know what im talking about but be able to decipher if i use it incorrectly or get it wrong. Thats everyone elses fault for not knowing.

ElectricG

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ill remember that when i use some obscure construction acronym, its everyone else responsibility to not only know what im talking about but be able to decipher if i use it incorrectly or get it wrong. Thats everyone elses fault for not knowing.

Or you can just use whatever turn of phrase you want, and trust that the reader will decipher it based on the general thrust of what you have written regardless of whether they have heard it or you have written is slightly wrong.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Or you can just use whatever turn of phrase you want, and trust that the reader will decipher it based on the general thrust of what you have written regardless of whether they have heard it or you have written is slightly wrong.
Good chance it gets misunderstood though yeh? Then you probably dont wanna get angry when others have no clue what youre on about.

Clarity in communication is really important amazingly enough.

ElectricG

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good chance it gets misunderstood though yeh? Then you probably dont wanna get angry when others have no clue what youre on about.

Clarity in communication is really important amazingly enough.
I don’t understand at least half the stuff he writes, but I knew exactly what that line meant. Remembering I am someone who cannot count to 4.

Back