AFL - State of Origin Representative Football – New Format 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Now I was tired of State of Origin myself and it being brought up every year as possibly coming back, but the reason it lost it's appeal is because Victoria became too powerful, with a massive increase in population differential from the other footy states, therefore fans lost interest and so did the players. I was thinking to myself, isn’t it silly that the NRL uses an AFL concept of state of origin successfully, for a sport that is basically only played in two states, and yet we don’t have any representative football for a sport played across the whole of Australia. The key to the success of representative games is for them to be competitive.

The solution therefore, is staring us right in the face. By using the successful under 18s TAC Cup national championships model. This is what I would like to see going forward in the round before the bye each year or bi-annually. Apologies if I get any names or states of players wrong.

Thursday Night - This would arguably be the best game of the series

W.A V S.A (Optus Stadium or Adelaide Oval)

W.A Coach: John Worsfold
W.A Key players: Cripps, Natanui, Franklin, Coniglio, T.Mitchell, S.Bolton, Naughton, Fyfe

S.A Coach: Simon Goodwin
S.A Key players: Grundy, Neale, C. Daniel, Hurn, Rozee, Laird, J. Graham, Ballard, Fredrick

Commentators: Try to bring Bruce (SA) and Dennis (WA) back for a one off each year as they are both passionate about their states. In saying that it seems JB, BT and Hamish are from SA & WA anyway so they could just go with them. Special comments from former SA and WA stars of the past.

Friday Night - this would be like an all-star game with some of the biggest names in the sport.

Vic Metro V Vic Country (MCG, Marvel or Geelong),

Vic Metro Coach: Mick Malthouse
Vic Metro Key players: Petracca, Oliver, Bontompelli, Gawn, De Goey, McKay etc.

Vic Country Coach: Alistair Clarkson
Vic Country Key players: Dangerfield, Martin, Wines, Stringer, Parish, J.Cameron etc.

Commentators: The standard 7 commentary team but ensuring a country special comments ex player and metro ex player.

Saturday Night - There is usually no sport on FTA into NSW and QLD on Saturday nights, free space & great promotion for the code

NSW V QLD (SCG or Gabba)

NSW Coach: John Longmire
NSW Key players: Hawkins, Walker, Bruest, Witts, Heeney, Mills, Cumming, Hopper, Rampe

QLD Coach: Michael Voss
QLD Key players: Dixon, Chol, C.Cameron, Keays, Tom Green, Zorko, H.Andrews, Allir

Commentators: The standard 7 commentary team but ensuring Carey (NSW) and Dunstall (QLD) as special comments.

*NSW and QLD are surprisingly strong lists and are an even match up. To increase depth, players from ACT that have lived in NSW (ie, Steele, Bruce) and players from N.T that have lived in QLD (ie. May, Jeffrey) can nominate to play for NSW & QLD.

Potential issues

*To avoid the issue of players pulling out, any player selected that pulls out must sit out the following weeks home and away match as well. You would fixture it so that the games are like this to ensure the big players want to play in the origin games rnd 10. State of origin, rnd 11. Bye Round, rnd 12. Top teams playing each other in the H&A competition.

I found a study done a few years ago where they put the state teams together and found that on paper and supercoach rankings wise, each of the state teams listed actually out rank the current day premier. This is interesting and blows away the myth of some of the states not having strong enough talent to field teams.

This concept is great promotion in the northern states as I think most people in NSW and QLD have little idea about how many players there are from their own state that play in the AFL and that it’s a southerners sport. It also rekindles big rivalries in the traditional footy states where S.A would love to knock off W.A and W.A fans would love to see the likes of Buddy Franklin representing them on the national stage.

Also the pride of country Victoria in potentially knocking off the city slickers would be immense.

The fixture could change from year to year, for example year two you might have the winners going up a rung to play off. So year two could be W.A V Vic Metro at Optus stadium, S.A V Vic Country etc. Actually just looking at the teams, NSW would give S.A a run for their money too.

What the concept also does is breaks the season up and gives the bottom teams and their supporters something to look forward to in a long season and great promotion for the AFL as Australia’s only truly popular and fully national domestic competition with high calibre footballers from every state in the country.

Malthouse as a coach?

Oliver is Vic Country too

Country is surprisingly very strong, but I thought Oliver and Petracca played under age together so assumed he was Metro. On Malthouse I basically didn't know which coaches were Vic metro, I assumed most of them, but i wanted coaches that would take it seriously as opposed to having a giggle which results in fans and players not taking it seriously either. I'd like to see some banter between the states prior to games too to generate rivalry.

Now I was tired of State of Origin myself and it being brought up every year as possibly coming back, but the reason it lost it's appeal is because Victoria became too powerful, with a massive increase in population differential from the other footy states, therefore fans lost interest and so did the players. I was thinking to myself, isn’t it silly that the NRL uses an AFL concept of state of origin successfully, for a sport that is basically only played in two states, and yet we don’t have any representative football for a sport played across the whole of Australia. The key to the success of representative games is for them to be competitive.

The solution therefore, is staring us right in the face. By using the successful under 18s TAC Cup national championships model. This is what I would like to see going forward in the round before the bye each year or bi-annually. Apologies if I get any names or states of players wrong.

Thursday Night - This would arguably be the best game of the series

W.A V S.A (Optus Stadium or Adelaide Oval)

W.A Coach: John Worsfold
W.A Key players: Cripps, Natanui, Franklin, Coniglio, T.Mitchell, S.Bolton, Naughton, Fyfe

S.A Coach: Simon Goodwin
S.A Key players: Grundy, Neale, C. Daniel, Hurn, Rozee, Laird, J. Graham, Ballard, Fredrick

Commentators: Try to bring Bruce (SA) and Dennis (WA) back for a one off each year as they are both passionate about their states. In saying that it seems JB, BT and Hamish are from SA & WA anyway so they could just go with them. Special comments from former SA and WA stars of the past.

Friday Night - this would be like an all-star game with some of the biggest names in the sport.

Vic Metro V Vic Country (MCG, Marvel or Geelong),

Vic Metro Coach: Mick Malthouse
Vic Metro Key players: Petracca, Oliver, Bontompelli, Gawn, De Goey, McKay etc.

Vic Country Coach: Alistair Clarkson
Vic Country Key players: Dangerfield, Martin, Wines, Stringer, Parish, J.Cameron etc.

Commentators: The standard 7 commentary team but ensuring a country special comments ex player and metro ex player.

Saturday Night - There is usually no sport on FTA into NSW and QLD on Saturday nights, free space & great promotion for the code

NSW V QLD (SCG or Gabba)

NSW Coach: John Longmire
NSW Key players: Hawkins, Walker, Bruest, Witts, Heeney, Mills, Cumming, Hopper, Rampe

QLD Coach: Michael Voss
QLD Key players: Dixon, Chol, C.Cameron, Keays, Tom Green, Zorko, H.Andrews, Allir

Commentators: The standard 7 commentary team but ensuring Carey (NSW) and Dunstall (QLD) as special comments.

*NSW and QLD are surprisingly strong lists and are an even match up. To increase depth, players from ACT that have lived in NSW (ie, Steele, Bruce) and players from N.T that have lived in QLD (ie. May, Jeffrey) can nominate to play for NSW & QLD.

Potential issues

*To avoid the issue of players pulling out, any player selected that pulls out must sit out the following weeks home and away match as well. You would fixture it so that the games are like this to ensure the big players want to play in the origin games rnd 10. State of origin, rnd 11. Bye Round, rnd 12. Top teams playing each other in the H&A competition.

I found a study done a few years ago where they put the state teams together and found that on paper and supercoach rankings wise, each of the state teams listed actually out rank the current day premier. This is interesting and blows away the myth of some of the states not having strong enough talent to field teams.

This concept is great promotion in the northern states as I think most people in NSW and QLD have little idea about how many players there are from their own state that play in the AFL and that it’s a southerners sport. It also rekindles big rivalries in the traditional footy states where S.A would love to knock off W.A and W.A fans would love to see the likes of Buddy Franklin representing them on the national stage.

Also the pride of country Victoria in potentially knocking off the city slickers would be immense.

The fixture could change from year to year, for example year two you might have the winners going up a rung to play off. So year two could be W.A V Vic Metro at Optus stadium, S.A V Vic Country etc. Actually just looking at the teams, NSW would give S.A a run for their money too.

What the concept also does is breaks the season up and gives the bottom teams and their supporters something to look forward to in a long season and great promotion for the AFL as Australia’s only truly popular and fully national domestic competition with high calibre footballers from every state in the country.
But what about poor old Tasmania though - surely they deserve a place in the State of Origin :sadv1:

Wonder who wins out of these 2 teams? Would be tight.

Vic Country
B: Stewart Weitering Docherty
HB: Dale McCartin Pendleburry
C: McLuggage Oliver Walsh
HF: Martin Curnow Treloar
F: Papley Cameron (C) McKay
OB: Darcy Parish Crisp
IC: Parker Ginnivan Dunkley Dangerfield

Vic Metro
B: Sicily Grimes Saad
HB: Sinclair Moore Brayshaw
C: Langdon Macrae Kelly
HF: Greene Daniher Bontompelli
F: Degoey King Wright
OB: Gawn (C) Petracca Brayshaw
IC: Short Merrett Moore Lever

SA

FB: J.Noble ~ H.Petty ~ T.Jonas
HB: R.Burton ~ C.Ballard ~ B.Smith
C: J.Dawson ~ L.Neale ~ J.Aish
R: B.Grundy ~ G.Hewett ~ R.Laird
HF: C.Wingard ~ J.Lukosius ~ Z.Bailey
FF: K.Pickett ~ D.Fogarty ~ W.Hayward
B: J.Redden ~ I.Rankine ~ S.Draper
M.Frederick

Em: S.Edwards, B.Cox, T.Stengle, C.Rozee, J.Horne-Francis, W.Day, J.Graham, R.Stanley

Vic Country

Vic Metro

Quality close game that one, would love to see it and some meaning behind it compared to the vics v allies

Vic Country

Vic Metro
City slickers would get their asses kicked.

But what about poor old Tasmania though - surely they deserve a place in the State of Origin :sadv1:
NSW plus Tassie
QLD plus NT

Would make it fair kinda

State of Origin will only work with Vic v SA or WA. It has no empathy with fans outside of those teams playing. State of Origin works with the Sandgropers and Croweaters passion to defeat Victoria. If you come from QLD, NSW, Tassie or anywhere else i'm sorry, but you miss out...So State of Origin is a waste of time in a National competition. It was great in the 70s and 80s, but not in the 21st century. Nobody gives a fat rats clacker about Vic Metro v Vic Country or NSW v QLD in an Aussie Rules game.

State of Origin will only work with Vic v SA or WA. It has no empathy with fans outside of those teams playing. State of Origin works with the Sandgropers and Croweaters passion to defeat Victoria. If you come from QLD, NSW, Tassie or anywhere else i'm sorry, but you miss out...So State of Origin is a waste of time in a National competition. It was great in the 70s and 80s, but not in the 21st century. Nobody gives a fat rats clacker about Vic Metro v Vic Country or NSW v QLD in an Aussie Rules game.

Problem is though that the NSW team is better than the SA team.

Love the passion of the OP but sadly SOO is almost certainly not going to come back in any meaningful format for a long time.

Even forgetting what Rugby League has built up with SOO, the practicalities of it just don't really work in the AFL world with 3 dominant states and 4 clubs providing a big chunk of 2 of those states players. SOO puts a huge strain on the NRL season but at least in the NRL world the clubs hit most by player's being unavailable is generally skewed towards the top teams with the Brisbane Broncos and to a lesser extend North Queensland getting shafted a little bit more than other clubs regardless of how they are travelling.

Despite the draft sending players across the country in greater numbers than ever, the Eagles, Dockers, Crows and Port would get hit too hard in SOO. A quick look at Fremantle's list and they'd lose probably 8 players just to the WA team and they've still got some players who would be a big chance to feature in the Victorian team (plus any emergencies and squad players required). West Coast for most of the Simpson era would have been in much the same position.

The only way I could see it working is as a one-off game during a competition wide bye weekend between two states with the winner defending their title the next season against whichever of the big three states didn't play and the AFL would have to throw a ton of money at it to ensure the biggest stars don't pull out all the time. A best of 3 doesn't work - it's too disruptive to whichever (or both) of the SA and WA clubs are playing and would extend the season by 3 weeks which the AFLPA won't allow. A round-robin with a final doesn't work for the same reasons but with one extra week piled on top. A round-robin without a final is one week less but has the possibility of a dead rubber at the end or the competition being decided on % if all teams finish with a win and a loss which would be pretty bogus.

As for the other states unfortunately there just isn't a rivalry there to merit SOO between Qld, NT, NSW/ACT and Tasmania. Promotion and relegation doesn't work because whichever of those three states got promoted would get pumped by Vic/SA/WA and whichever of Vic/SA/WA got relegated would pump those three teams so in two years time you'd be back to where you started.

There's even an argument that on the slight outside chance the above could work, it should be every two years. Which would mean even a top player might only have as little as 3 genuine chances in their entire career to represent their state at the top level and in that case they are far more likely to want to pull on the jumper and make it a worthwhile spectacle rather than some of the limp s**t we saw in the 90's version of SOO.

But in all honesty I don't see the above happening and things like the bushfire appeal match a couple of years ago are almost certainly the only versions of something resembling state of origin that any of us are likely to see.

Love the passion of the OP but sadly SOO is almost certainly not going to come back in any meaningful format for a long time.

Even forgetting what Rugby League has built up with SOO, the practicalities of it just don't really work in the AFL world with 3 dominant states and 4 clubs providing a big chunk of 2 of those states players. SOO puts a huge strain on the NRL season but at least in the NRL world the clubs hit most by player's being unavailable is generally skewed towards the top teams with the Brisbane Broncos and to a lesser extend North Queensland getting shafted a little bit more than other clubs regardless of how they are travelling.

Despite the draft sending players across the country in greater numbers than ever, the Eagles, Dockers, Crows and Port would get hit too hard in SOO. A quick look at Fremantle's list and they'd lose probably 8 players just to the WA team and they've still got some players who would be a big chance to feature in the Victorian team (plus any emergencies and squad players required). West Coast for most of the Simpson era would have been in much the same position.

The only way I could see it working is as a one-off game during a competition wide bye weekend between two states with the winner defending their title the next season against whichever of the big three states didn't play and the AFL would have to throw a ton of money at it to ensure the biggest stars don't pull out all the time. A best of 3 doesn't work - it's too disruptive to whichever (or both) of the SA and WA clubs are playing and would extend the season by 3 weeks which the AFLPA won't allow. A round-robin with a final doesn't work for the same reasons but with one extra week piled on top. A round-robin without a final is one week less but has the possibility of a dead rubber at the end or the competition being decided on % if all teams finish with a win and a loss which would be pretty bogus.

As for the other states unfortunately there just isn't a rivalry there to merit SOO between Qld, NT, NSW/ACT and Tasmania. Promotion and relegation doesn't work because whichever of those three states got promoted would get pumped by Vic/SA/WA and whichever of Vic/SA/WA got relegated would pump those three teams so in two years time you'd be back to where you started.

There's even an argument that on the slight outside chance the above could work, it should be every two years. Which would mean even a top player might only have as little as 3 genuine chances in their entire career to represent their state at the top level and in that case they are far more likely to want to pull on the jumper and make it a worthwhile spectacle rather than some of the limp s**t we saw in the 90's version of SOO.

But in all honesty I don't see the above happening and things like the bushfire appeal match a couple of years ago are almost certainly the only versions of something resembling state of origin that any of us are likely to see.

Appreciate the post but I don't think you fully read my initial one. It wouldn't be 3 games for a title, it would be one round each season between the 6 rep sides, so each state would only play one game. Also there are not 3 big states, nsw and qld could possibly beat South Australia at the moment. Also on player fatigue the bye round is the week after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is though that the NSW team is better than the SA team.
Yes, it's a bit of bad luck for the casual fan up North, but history shows the Sandgropers and Croweaters hate us Vics with a passion when it comes to footy, something the "cockroaches " will never have as they do in the NRL origin series...

Appreciate the post but I don't think you fully read my initial one. It wouldn't be 3 games for a title, it would be one round each season between the 6 rep sides, so each state would only play one game. Also there are not 3 big states, nsw and qld could possibly beat South Australia at the moment. Also on player fatigue the bye round is the week after.

I think the best way would be

Tier 1
Victoria Metro
Victoria Country
Western Australia

Tier 2
New South Wales
South Australia
Queensland

So each team plays twice over 3 weeks.

A little side note is Dandenong Stingrays players fall under Vic Country for U18 level to even out the squad depths as the majority of Victorians live in metro Melbourne.

Origin won't be back, but even if somehow it was there is no way NSW and Qld would be left out. It would probably have to be at least two divisions, perhaps three.
If three divisions
Division1 : a Vic,WA,SA tri-series, top two play a final, last in a playoff against the winner of division 2
Division2 : NSW v Qld, winner plays to promote, loser plays winner of division 3 to remain in division 2
Division 3 : Tas v NT

The top division get three games. The next three teams get two, with 7th place getting only one game - unless the loser of that was to play ACT.
NSW may well be better than SA. In that case, they should beat Qld and probably play SA to go to div 1 next time.

Unfortunately, nothing of the sort will ever be allowed to happen. Mostly because of the power of the clubs, and partly because no broadcaster would want a match not involving Vic.

Did you watch the last Vic/All stars game? There was absolutely no defensive pressure and players laughing amongst themselves like a training drill. End score 150 to 110 or something like that. It's a hard concept to take seriously when nobody cares.

Did you watch the last Vic/All stars game? There was absolutely no defensive pressure and players laughing amongst themselves like a training drill. End score 150 to 110 or something like that. It's a hard concept to take seriously when nobody cares.

That is because it was an exhibition match. Make a State of Origin series every second year and players will start to care as there will be a huge sense of pride making the team and beating other states.

That is because it was an exhibition match. Make a State of Origin series every second year and players will start to care as there will be a huge sense of pride making the team and beating other states.
I don't know if they would or not, and every second year would probably be too much. If it was every 4th or 5th year so players might only get a couple of chances even if they had a long career the players might buy in more.
And there would need to be a structure to it, which there usually wasn't back in the day. There was the occasional carnival, but most years there were a couple of one off games without any more to it. We'll never know though.

I don't know if they would or not, and every second year would probably be too much. If it was every 4th or 5th year so players might only get a couple of chances even if they had a long career the players might buy in more.
And there would need to be a structure to it, which there usually wasn't back in the day. There was the occasional carnival, but most years there were a couple of one off games without any more to it. We'll never know though.

I am not sure. If a TV rights holder said we will give you extra money to stage a State of Origin carnival every two or three years the AFL would likely seriously consider it.

SA

FB: J.Noble ~ H.Petty ~ T.Jonas
HB: R.Burton ~ C.Ballard ~ B.Smith
C: J.Dawson ~ L.Neale ~ J.Aish
R: B.Grundy ~ G.Hewett ~ R.Laird
HF: C.Wingard ~ J.Lukosius ~ Z.Bailey
FF: K.Pickett ~ D.Fogarty ~ W.Hayward
B: J.Redden ~ I.Rankine ~ S.Draper
M.Frederick

Em: S.Edwards, B.Cox, T.Stengle, C.Rozee, J.Horne-Francis, W.Day, J.Graham, R.Stanley
The NT players should be in this group like the Crows in the AFLW or I wouldn’t waste my time watching this trash. Live in SA from NT and don’t care about SOO unless it’s rugby.

If not for work I would leave this dump of a state. Truly horrendous place to build a life for yourself.

My problem with Vic Country v Vic Metro and WA v SA is which is the bigger game? Or would it be one is the "grand final", and one is a qualifier for next years grand final with the winner staying on to defend their crown? This is the format (although one Vic team and Allies had a team) that saw interest in the concept dwindle during the 90's - although to be honest it was always going to be a struggle in a national competition anyway.

I also I don't think splitting Vic into country and metro will work. It devalues it quite a lot. If it's going to work it's gotta be Vic, SA and WA (no Allies s**t - that sucked) and even then it's a long shot.

I think the best way would be

Tier 1
Victoria Metro
Victoria Country
Western Australia

Tier 2
New South Wales
South Australia
Queensland

So each team plays twice over 3 weeks.

From my idea

Tier 1

Vic Metro

B: James Sicily - Jacob Weitering - Luke Ryan
HB: Jayden Short - Darcy Moore - Jack Sinclair
C: Ed Langdon - Jack Macrae - Bailey Smith
HF: Marcus Bontempelli - Joe Daniher - Toby Greene
F: Dylan Moore - Max King - Jordan de Goey
R: Max Gawn - Christian Petracca - Touk Miller
Int: Andrew Brayshaw - Luke Parker - Tom Mitchell - Adam Saad
SUB: Josh Kelly

Vic Country
B: Tom Stewart - Mark Blicavs - Jack Henry
HB: Sam Docherty - Jake Lever - Changkuoth Jiath
C: Sam Walsh - Clayton Oliver - Hugh McCluggage
HF: Dustin Martin - Tom Lynch - Patrick Dangerfield
F: Charlie Curnow - Jeremy Cameron - Tom Papley
R: Rowan Marshall - Ollie Wines - Darcy Parish
Int: Jack Crisp - Zach Merrett - Travis Boak - Josh Dunkley
SUB: Jake Lloyd

Western Australia
B: Marcus Adams - Sam Taylor - Brandan Starcevich
HB: Daniel Rich - Jeremy McGovern - Liam Baker
C: Mitch Duncan - Patrick Cripps - Brad Hill
HF: Shai Bolton - Lance Franklin - Cam Zurhaar
F: Rory Lobb - Aaron Naughton - Liam Ryan
R: Tim English - Nat Fyfe - Tim Kelly
Int: Jaeger O'Meara - Wil Powell - Stephen Conigilo - Chad Warner
SUB: Nic Martin

Tier 2

South Australia
B: Charlie Ballard - Brennan Cox - Ryan Burton
HB: Caleb Daniel - Callum Wilkie - Brodie Smith
C: James Aish - Lachie Neale - Jordan Dawson
HF: Lincoln McCarthy - Riley Thilthorpe - Brad Close
F: Kysaiah Pickett - Darcy Fogarty - Tyson Stengle
R: Brodie Grundy - Rory Laird - George Hewett
Int: Chad Wingard - Will Day - Connor Rozee - Jack Graham
SUB: Jason Horne-Francis

New South Wales
B: Isaac Cumming - Dougal Howard - Dane Rampe
HB: Nick Blakey - Phil Davis - Zac Williams
C: Isaac Smith - Callum Mills - Harry Perryman
HF: Isaac Heeney - Tom Hawkins - Errol Gulden
F: Luke Breust - Taylor Walker - Harrison Himmelberg
R: Jarrod Witts - Jack Steele - Tom Green
Int: Matthew Kennedy - Lachie Schultz - Charlie Spargo - Jacob Hopper
SUB: Harry Cunningham

Queensland
FB: C.Budarick (GC), H.Andrews (Bri), A.Aliir (PA)
HB: B.Long (StK), S.May (Mel), J.Bowes (GC)
C: Z.Bailey (Bri), B.Keays (Ade), D.Rioli (Ric)
HF: S.Motlop (PA), M.Chol (GC), W.Rioli (WC)
FF: E.Hipwood (Bri), C.Dixon (PA), C.Cameron (Bri)
FOL: T.Hickey (Syd), B.Parfitt (Gee), D.Zorko (Bri)
INT: N.Cockatoo (Bri), L.Keeffe (GWS), J.Jeffrey (GC), W.Ashcroft (San)
Coach: M.Voss (Car)

Also I stole all that from this thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back