Game Day AFL Swans v GW$ Giants - QF

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I like GWS. Yeah, they were given a lot of gifts, but at least they're not s**t campaigners like Hawthorn or Collingwood.

Plus, living in Canberra, I have a secondary team to root for.
I didnt know you lived in Canberra. Oh good you get my reasoning for getting behind a local team for your footy fix then

Honestly, I like GWS. Yeah, they were given a lot of gifts, but at least they're not s**t campaigners like Hawthorn or Collingwood.

Plus, living in Canberra, I have a secondary team to root for.
Devon Smith? Toby Greene? Trust me, they're s**t campaigners. Too many to list.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks Meima

I want Freo to be as successful as all of us, but we also have to be grown ups and not cry like someone stole our sandwich in the playground
I liked most of what you posted but this is the second time today someone has said people complaining are being childish or jealous or whatever. And that is absolute BS.

We as footy fans, love OUR game. We are passionate about it and want it to be the best it can be because we like watching great footy. Without fans, the game has zero value. We deserve to have some say in how the game is played, administered, grown and so on. What the AFL has done with the creation of the two new franchises and subsequent ridiculously over-the-top concessions has the potential to destroy far more than it has built. If there continues to be a massive imbalance of talent throughout the 18 clubs then fans will stop caring, stop watching, and revenues will decrease. Sure it may continue growing in NSW but the risk of diminished returns in the other states is far more likely. I don't think the AFL yet realise the extent of the absolute mess they have made. GWS finished top 4 on the ladder, may win the premiership this year, and will likely have up to 5 new recruits that have first round value over the coming off season. And that trend will likely continue for the foreseeable future.

There is not a sporting body in the world that would assess that as a fair system (even the masters of evil FIFA). The problem is, it's also now impossible to undo. Perhaps they'll end up giving every other club priority picks? But it's going to take years for the talent pool to be evened out across all 18 clubs, and no doubt they'll screw that up as well.

If anyone needs to grow up and not be so childish, it's those AFL morons who designed this mess. If I were them I'd be putting in counter measures asap, and likely recruiting some intelligent people that understand the pros of organic growth vs the many cons of contrived growth in business.

Power to GWS for taking full advantage of the many benefits they have been given but that doesn't mean we aren't entitled to criticise what has clearly been a plastic process.

I liked most of what you posted but this is the second time today someone has said people complaining are being childish or jealous or whatever. And that is absolute BS.

We as footy fans, love OUR game. We are passionate about it and want it to be the best it can be because we like watching great footy. Without fans, the game has zero value. We deserve to have some say in how the game is played, administered, grown and so on. What the AFL has done with the creation of the two new franchises and subsequent ridiculously over-the-top concessions has the potential to destroy far more than it has built. If there continues to be a massive imbalance of talent throughout the 18 clubs then fans will stop caring, stop watching, and revenues will decrease. Sure it may continue growing in NSW but the risk of diminished returns in the other states is far more likely. I don't think the AFL yet realise the extent of the absolute mess they have made. GWS finished top 4 on the ladder, may win the premiership this year, and will likely have up to 5 new recruits that have first round value over the coming off season. And that trend will likely continue for the foreseeable future.

There is not a sporting body in the world that would assess that as a fair system (even the masters of evil FIFA). The problem is, it's also now impossible to undo. Perhaps they'll end up giving every other club priority picks? But it's going to take years for the talent pool to be evened out across all 18 clubs, and no doubt they'll screw that up as well.

If anyone needs to grow up and not be so childish, it's those AFL morons who designed this mess. If I were them I'd be putting in counter measures asap, and likely recruiting some intelligent people that understand the pros of organic growth vs the many cons of contrived growth in business.

Power to GWS for taking full advantage of the many benefits they have been given but that doesn't mean we aren't entitled to criticise what has clearly been a plastic process.

Well articulated.

Fair commenta mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They may be campaigners for the most part but there is more killer instinct in a tenth of the GWS side than we have in the whole of ours.

This is a really good post.

The AFL is so full of corporate BS and spin these days and they take the fans for granted. I think they have seriously under estimated how much anger there will be amongst the other clubs and their fans in coming years as GWS go from strength to strength. They should take a moment and think about why they were able to sign a record breaking TV rights deal. It's definitely not the massive ratings from western Sydney.

Also, I can understand Freo supporters who live interstate getting a membership with another club so they can watch live footy. But I'm sceptical of the Freo fans who are so passionately arguing the GWS cause on this thread.

Not to mention to way Tom Scully was recruited the sweetheart deal done with his dad getting a cushy job doing sweet FA for big bucks
Was later found out to be dodgy and ended
The whole thing stinks to me
A victory for the economic rationalists and marketing gurus who believe the mighty dollar rules all
It's not a f$&@en market its. The sport we love,
I lived in NSW for 5 years, my missus is from Blacktown and I'm telling you no one there gives a rats arse about AFL ( gayfl they called it when they were ribbing me)
And they never will
Your flogging a dead horse simmofreo
they have something like 4 first round picks this year even if they win a flag, gimme a break ffs
How's the Brisbane lions travelling 12 years after being gifted a flag winning combo?
Or footy in QLD for that matter

Very pre mature for postie to complain about GWS, before this season start , nobody complain about them. Everybody presume freo will be top 4 , and before bulldog awaoy match everybody saying should win against bulldog in this season. Same postie got short memory.

Time to recruit and stand up and fight stop complaining .
After 2013 , freo fail to trade good players to come in . Fail to play new draftee in afl. When freo trash team like GC and GWs not a single one of us complain but thinking about high percentage to boost goal difference. Yup afl got their fault but freo using the same formula got their own problem too.

Last edited:
Very pre mature for postie to complain about GWS, before this season start , nobody complain about them.
Where did this myth come from? Go back and look at last off season, and you'll find plenty of posters commenting on the number of first round picks GWS had. Look all the way back to 2011 and see what people thought of GWS having 11 of the first 14 picks (and similarly in 2010 with Gold Coast). In 2012, GWS having the first 3 picks plus another 2 in the 1st round. 2013, 1st two picks plus one more 1st rounder. You don't think anyone was criticising that all these drafts were "compromised"? If anything we've been fatigued from questioning the strategy/thinking and nothing having been done about it for 6 years. Will they act now, or wait a few more years and dig themselves a bigger hole to get out of? I thought it'd be another year before GWS came in to their powerhouse status. The fact that it has happened a year earlier only makes it more scary for the future of this game.

Exactly. The comments of the AFL Commission confirm that they they will do whatever it takes to make GWS successful. They could barely contain their delight today.

It's a complete slap in the face to the fans and members of the other clubs whose money makes the AFL world go round. Fans like us, who had our club set up to fail for our first 5 years or fans of traditional Victorian clubs who have never witnessed a premiership in their lifetimes.

If you think they're all going to sit back happily while GWS dominate for the next decade, then think again. You can only serve up self interested BS to people for so long.

All of this and more. Very well articulated reasoning behind the disgust felt by most traditional followers of our game being kicked to the curb for the benefit of AFL egos and contrived expansion club success. Trashed the competition for next to nothing.

Where did this myth come from? Go back and look at last off season, and you'll find plenty of posters commenting on the number of first round picks GWS had. Look all the way back to 2011 and see what people thought of GWS having 11 of the first 14 picks (and similarly in 2010 with Gold Coast). In 2012, GWS having the first 3 picks plus another 2 in the 1st round. 2013, 1st two picks plus one more 1st rounder. You don't think anyone was criticising that all these drafts were "compromised"? If anything we've been fatigued from questioning the strategy/thinking and nothing having been done about it for 6 years. Will they act now, or wait a few more years and dig themselves a bigger hole to get out of? I thought it'd be another year before GWS came in to their powerhouse status. The fact that it has happened a year earlier only makes it more scary for the future of this game.
I not saying you are wrong , but to discredit GWS kids that work hard like lobbs pick 29 that play for the team success is a bit unfair. I will be worried if gws had the same amount of injuries as bulldog and perform like yesterday. Everything just fall into their favour this season with less injuries and a fit patton.

PS ,what happened to the sneaky hiding of Whitfield from those pesky drug officers by Gubby and his cohort. Disappeared under a corner of the AFL carpet. :rolleyes:
Salim it is very simple , Gil looked them in the eye and asked them straight and they said they were innocent. Case closed.:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back