B: Enright. Rance. Wanganeen
HB: McLeod. Scarlett. Buckley
C: Hird. R Harvey. Ablett Snr
HF: Diesel. W Carey. Martin
F: Dunstall. Lockett. Buddy
R: Gawn. Ablett Jnr. Judd
I/C: Voss. Cox Richo Pavlich

*yes, the forward line is a bit tall ……

Next in line …. about 50, but in no particular order Pendles, Hodge, Selwood, Lloyd, Cousins, Matera, Oliver, Winmar, SOS, Goodes, Neale, Ricciuto, Hawkins, Danger, Black, both Riewoldts and Tredrea

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Done off top of the head, may have left some out on that basis. Late 1960s onward, I was born 1960.

Johnny Greening based on 97 games without missing from his debut at age 17, could do everything and was the hottest player in the game at 21yo when O'Dea finished his careeer. Could have been GOAT. And I am a Magpie

Backs Tom Stewart, SOS, Andrew McCleod
HB Keith Greig, Paul Roos, Bruce Duoll
Centres Peter Matera, GAJ (vc), Robbie Flower
HF GAS, Wayne Carey, Eddie Betts
Forwards Peter Hudson, Tony Lockett, Lance Franklin

Rucks Simon Madden, Dusty Martin, Leigh Matthews (C)

Interchange Nat Fyfe, Michael Voss, John Greening, Dean Cox

Coach Tommy Hafey

Last edited:

I saw more of Joel Selwood than I did Michael Voss but on loyalty, courage, captaincy and toughness they’re about the same for me so I’d have to go with Selwood.

Scarlett, Enright, Selwood, Gaj are non-negotiable in my hypothetical team I’ve been drafting for a while now. That’s why I’m not too keen on adding a 5th Cat in Stevie J and may have to opt for Breust if watching 4 years of Jeff Farmer isn’t good enough?
Loved Selwood as a player. He and Pendles vy with each other for influence but neither have ever really contended as the best player in the game whereas Voss was in that discussion, often at the head of it, for many seasons. My opinion Voss has to be ahead of Selwood, also much more of a goal kicking mid which is what the very best mids are.

Interesting, I'm going to go with players who I've really enjoyed watching, rather than the best

FB: Matty Whelan Rod (The Tilt) Carter Paul Roos
HB: Mil Hanna Glen Jakovich John Worsfold
C: Robbie Flower Todd Viney Peter Matera
HF: Byron Pickett Wayne Carey Rod Owen
FF: Jeff Farmer Gary Ablett Snr Allen Jakovich

Rucks: Max Gawn Gerard Healy John Platten

Bench: Tony Lockett, Dermot Brereton, David Schwartz, Jimmy Stynes

Interesting, I'm going to go with players who I've really enjoyed watching, rather than the best

FB: Matty Whelan Rod (The Tilt) Carter Paul Roos
HB: Mil Hanna Glen Jakovich John Worsfold
C: Robbie Flower Todd Viney Peter Matera
HF: Byron Pickett Wayne Carey Rod Owen
FF: Jeff Farmer Gary Ablett Snr Allen Jakovich

Rucks: Max Gawn Gerard Healy John Platten

Bench: Tony Lockett, Dermot Brereton, David Schwartz, Jimmy Stynes

Not a lot of run coming off the bench!

For me it comes down to one thing.
Michael Voss 2004-2006 can’t be better than Joel Selwood 2007-2022. Voss retired when I turned 9 but absolutely fond childhood memories.
That makes sense

You’ve been around 37 years longer than I have so I must ask. Do you really believe Tom Stewart is not only better than Corey Enright but so good he has a place in your team of the past 50 years?
He is my speculative one but reckon by career end that will be the case. He seems impassable at times, reads the play so well, excellent one on one and very creative. If he finishes off his career in the same way, yes. Only 6 seasons played 4 AAs he is Doull like in he excells in all facets and almost never beaten

2 x Premiership ruckman . Sydney and Pies . Went ok
And easily Danger over Dusty with the team selected :thumbsu:

List one other offical award Jolly has related to football and I’ll take it all back.

Also beating St Kilda in a GF isn’t a flex. I probably could’ve done it.

List one other offical award Jolly has related to football and I’ll take it all back.

While I agree it’s strange to pick Darren Jolly you need to lose the obsession with awards mate. They’re nice, but they’re not kicking marking or handpassing the ball. The player is. The awards compliment it and the individual ones are on offer for 2, maybe 3 players per season. We all know that there are far more elite players in the competition than that.

Johnny Greening based on 97 games without missing from his debut at age 17, could do everything and was the hottest player in the game at 21yo when O'Dea finished his careeer. Could have been GOAT. And I am a Magpie

I didn't see him play but:
  • How bad must the hit have been to have copped ten weeks in 1972
  • Some of his stats on AFL tables are nuts

You would struggle to give your pecker a beating without someone more masculine to help.

I didn't see him play but:
  • How bad must the hit have been to have copped ten weeks in 1972
  • Some of his stats on AFL tables are nuts
Yep some crazy stats but was spectacular also. Took hangers, kicked special goals and ran like a gazelle. He was a beautiful player to watch. Debut as a young 17 year old and played every Collingwood game ,97 games, until O'Dea knocked him out.

His 19th game when he was just 18 and a few months he kicked 7 goals as an on baller. When he was 20 he had a 50 possession game when there were many less possies per game. A few weeks before O'Dea got him, when at 21 he was already in consideration for the best player in the comp, he had 46 possies and 6 goals one week then 45 and 4 the next.

Pity so little vision exists of him playng as little was taken in those days and what was was then taped over the next week. There was no concept people might be able to rewatch football matches back then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I agree it’s strange to pick Darren Jolly you need to lose the obsession with awards mate. They’re nice, but they’re not kicking marking or handpassing the ball. The player is. The awards compliment it and the individual ones are on offer for 2, maybe 3 players per season. We all know that there are far more elite players in the competition than that.

Medals represent what you are saying. It means he’s played really well to get them ie marking, handpassing the ball and kicking goals. It’s a bit of a chicken and the egg debate here. And I’ve said before when you analyse players you take positions into account, forwards not winning Brownlows isn’t a big deal.

But no matter how you slice it, no awards AT ALL means you ain’t a great player. Could be serviceable at best.

But I do get where you are coming from. Sometimes it isn’t an accurate reflection like the dud Brownlow winners. More often than not it is an accurate reflection of how they are as players.

Damn, this is tough. I'm looking at from 1988 which was when I started watching footy. So many great players. I think my reserves team could beat the A-Team. Anyway, here is my best "Team", not necessarily my best 22 players, but best team. No donkey in here.

B:Matthew ScarlettDustin FletcherStephen Silvagni
HB:Andrew McLeodGlen JakovichSean Burgoyne
C:Peter MateraNathan BuckleyAnthony Koutafides
HF:Peter DaicosWayne CareyLance Franklin
F:Jason DunstallTony LockettGary Ablett Snr.
FOLL:Dean CoxGary Ablett Jnr.Michael Voss
INT:Dustin MartinChris JuddScott Pendlebury
James Hird

I really like this thread.

The teams are incredible, and each one makes me debate my own choices each time someone puts a credible one up.

It also reminds me how much I love following the Kangaroos in Rugby League, and how sad SOO seems dead in the water.

Following the Kangaroos is where I can forget about my petty club loyalties and watch the greatest players from, normally hated teams, representing Australia, and then I love them as much as I do the players who represent my club in the domestic competition.

It's the one thing RL has over Aussie Rules, and why I am always a massive advocate for State of Origin because that is the closest to a realistic National team we'll ever get.

Damn, this is tough. I'm looking at from 1988 which was when I started watching footy. So many great players. I think my reserves team could beat the A-Team. Anyway, here is my best "Team", not necessarily my best 22 players, but best team. No donkey in here.

James Hird

La di da!

Next level team with the formatting! :D

Damn I wish I had thought to add Burgoyne, nice pick.

James Hird

No Diesel? Didn’t see him play but I keep hearing he was so good he should’ve won 3 Brownlows but it was rigged or something.

He is my speculative one but reckon by career end that will be the case. He seems impassable at times, reads the play so well, excellent one on one and very creative. If he finishes off his career in the same way, yes. Only 6 seasons played 4 AAs he is Doull like in he excells in all facets and almost never beaten

2 of those AA he got the Geelong bonus.

So he would be ahead of Ayers and Mew ?

2 of those AA he got the Geelong bonus.

So he would be ahead of Ayers and Mew ?
I did it off the top of my head. I did do a bit of an oops when i read Ayres in somone elses. Would probably swap them but maybe not at career end. Mews great but happy to have Stewart above.

Great thread.

Some positions are easy to fill. Flower and Matera on the wing (didn't see Greig at his best). Lockett, Carey, Ablett snr and Matthews are shoo-ins.

CHB and Ruck are head-scratchers. For CHB I'd go with Roos. He dominated back-lines in a very weak Fitzroy side. Close behind, Chris Grant. Great CHF and even better at CHB. Can't believe he hasn't got mentions here. Then there's Glendinning and Jackovich. Hard to pick between these four. Best ruckman also tough, I'll go with Gawn ahead of Maddens x2 and Cox. So then -

(B) Ayres, Silvagni, Wanganeen
(HB) Hodge, Roos, Mcleod
(C) Flower, Williams, Matera
(HF) Ablett snr, Carey, Daicos
(F) Bartlett, Lockett, Martin
(Foll) Gawn, Koutafides, Matthews
(I/C) Grant, Paul Kelly, Ablett jnr, Akermanis

Last edited:
No Diesel? Didn’t see him play but I keep hearing he was so good he should’ve won 3 Brownlows but it was rigged or something.

I did consider Diesel, but who do I take out? I left out many that I wanted to include. How do you fit in 50 awesome players into 22? You can't criticise people for leaving out someone. Diesel is in my second team of my lifetime! I left out Robert Harvey, a dual Brownlow Medallist too. :) Saints fans, don't come after me. :worried:

I did consider Diesel, but who do I take out? I left out many that I wanted to include. How do you fit in 50 awesome players into 22? You can't criticise people for leaving out someone. Diesel is in my second team of my lifetime! I left out Robert Harvey, a dual Brownlow Medallist too. Saints fans, don't come after me. :worried:

Haha fair enough, I’d probably have both those players over Pendlebury cause their accolades are that good but that’s just me. Still a killer list

Glass was an incredibly good fullback, no issue with him being in a side. What most of us Cats fans will say about Scarlett is that he was skilful enough with the ball that he could have played just about anywhere else on the field if he wasn’t such a good key defender.
His toe poke was one of the deftest skilled thing in footy IMO.

And it is odd from a Saints pov talking about cats defenders as arguably Taylor was the most important one when we played each other from 08-11.

His toe poke was one of the deftest skilled thing in footy IMO.

And it is odd from a Saints pov talking about cats defenders as arguably Taylor was the most important one when we played each other from 08-11.

Taylor gets very very underrated in these discussions I reckon. Had some huge games on Riewoldt and was impassable at times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back