Opinion AFL Team of Your Lifetime

Remove this Banner Ad

For a short period of time Paul Salmon was like a phenomenon.
Season 1984 he seemed unstoppable at one point because he was a 205 cm and over 100 kg full forward. That was too tall for the type of players that played full back then. This was the era where great full backs like Geoff Southby, David Dench and Kelvin Moore had been the standard of full backs for era that had gone before and he would have well over 10 cm's over all of them and sometimes 16 cm's over our Southby and near 30 kg's too. If a man that tall can mark and kick goals most teams do not have a match up to stop him if ball kicked in air for him to mark. Like he taller and weigh more than Harry McKay now but most full forwards back then were more like 188 to 193 cm's, not well over 200 cm's. Opening six rounds of 1984 he had a run of 7, 7, 8, 4, 5 and 8 goals.
That is fantastic insight thank you! This was a couple of years before I was born. I was at a Fitzroy vs. Essendon game in maybe '91 when I was young that my Uncle took me to. I was sitting on top of a concrete tunnel that the players run through, he was the only one tall enough to high five me, gave me a wink too the big show off. They won the game and I fell in love with the Bombers right there and then.

Kevin Bartlett and Eddie Betts are the only ‘small’ forwards of the last 42 years with more goals and Milne averaged more goals per game than either

Yeah it’s amazing
He was more of a small marking player, no tackle pressure, not very creative in setting up goals. Very good player, but shouldn't be in anyone's lifetime team imo.

He was more of a small marking player, no tackle pressure, not very creative in setting up goals. Very good player, but shouldn't be in anyone's lifetime team imo.

Goals kicked plus goal assists per game his figure is identical to Betts: 2.73

For most of the people replying in this thread the only lifetime great career small forwards they’ve seen are Brad Johnson who isn’t even a particularly ‘small’ forward, and maybe farmer and leCras.

I didn’t pick Milne I stuck Steve Johnson in one of the pockets and Betts in the other but there’s a pubic hair between them.

Nearly 600 goals in 270 games sharing a forward line with Riewoldt and Gehrig - really not sure why anyone would question it.

I'll let you guess my age, I am sorry that I forgot the player from your team.

FB: Matthew Scarlet, Dustin Fletcher, Glenn Archer
HB :Andrew McLeod, Alex Rance, Gavin Wanganeen
C: Chris Judd, Michael Voss, Dustin Martin
HF: Lance Franklin, Wayne Carey, James Hird
FF: Jason Akermanis, Matthew Lloyd, Stephen Milne
Foll: Dean Cox, Simon Black, Gary Ablett Jr.
Int: Ben Cousins, Matthew Richardson, Mark Riccuto, Nathan Buckley
Even as a saints man Milne over Stevie J or Champan seems off.

For most of the people replying in this thread the only lifetime great career small forwards they’ve seen are Brad Johnson who isn’t even a particularly ‘small’ forward, and maybe farmer and leCras.

I didn’t pick Milne I stuck Steve Johnson in one of the pockets and Betts in the other but there’s a pubic hair between them.

Nearly 600 goals in 270 games sharing a forward line with Riewoldt and Gehrig - really not sure why anyone would question it.

I reckon both of you have got it wrong (cos you didn't maybe see him play) but Peter Daicos has all of these small forwards covered.
Stevie J idolised Daics and did his best to emulate the magic man but Milne, Betts and Bartlett wouldn't come within a bulls roar of the kind of fear Daics put into his opponents. 250 games and at least the first 100 as a midfielder (like Bartlett)....Daicos kicked 97 in a single year as a small forward. His sons are travelling at about 20% full Daicos at the minute...

P.S Lethal played as a small forward for a few years at the back end of his career also and LIKE Daicos...his numbers once he went forward would dwarf what the small forwards of today can achieve.

Wouldn't have Betts either.

Wouldn't have Betts either.
Played his best for the Crows though... ;)

Not only good goal haul, but usually amongst the best in assists.

BTW, when are you asking the Chief to change your username now you have become King... ;)

I reckon both of you have got it wrong (cos you didn't maybe see him play) but Peter Daicos has all of these small forwards covered.
Stevie J idolised Daics and did his best to emulate the magic man but Milne, Betts and Bartlett wouldn't come within a bulls roar of the kind of fear Daics put into his opponents. 250 games and at least the first 100 as a midfielder (like Bartlett)....Daicos kicked 97 in a single year as a small forward. His sons are travelling at about 20% full Daicos at the minute...

P.S Lethal played as a small forward for a few years at the back end of his career also and LIKE Daicos...his numbers once he went forward would dwarf what the small forwards of today can achieve.

I saw him play.

Which part did I get wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You moaned about Milne being in people’s teams clearly with no idea about his figures in comparison to other small forwards of the last 30-40 years
I knew his numbers, he was a good consistent small marking player who played in a very strong side. There were just so many better, even if they didn't spend their entire careers in the forward pocket. We're talking about teams of our lifetimes. If you're young surely you'd have blokes like Johnson, Greene, Gray, etc. ahead.

And saying something is a bit wtf, isn't moaning. Gee you're insufferable.

38 years old. Went from when I could remember so 1989

Enright Scarlett Silvagni
McLeod Jakovich Hodge
Judd Voss Matera
Ablett Sr Carey Franklin
Betts Lockett Martin
Cox Ablett Jr Cousins

Buckley S Johnson Jarman R Harvey

Probably left out a million guys

Disclaimer: of all the real superstar players of the last 30 years, easily the one I watched least would be James Hird. It’s not like I don’t rate him highly I just never cared for Essendon and some of the subtlety and sublime aspects of his game were probably lost on me

Quick question PB, why do you prefer Betts over Aker?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I knew his numbers, he was a good consistent small marking player who played in a very strong side. There were just so many better, even if they didn't spend their entire careers in the forward pocket. We're talking about teams of our lifetimes. If you're young surely you'd have blokes like Johnson, Greene, Gray, etc. ahead.

And saying something is a bit wtf, isn't moaning. Gee you're insufferable.

Says the guy telling people the side they picked from THEIR lifetime from what THEY saw.

For perspective, his ‘very strong side’ made it past the first week of finals 5 times in 13 seasons.

Why would people have green or gray or Johnson ahead if they don’t think they should be?

Greene has kicked 260-odd goals ffs 😂😂😂

Quick question PB, why do you prefer Betts over Aker?

Because Betts was a permanent forward. Akermanis wasn’t. I picked two hybrid midfielder-forwards. I rate Martin and Johnson ahead of Akermanis. and Jarman could play that role as well.

Akermanis was a fantastic player, an amazing player. But there were many others in his class

Says the guy telling people the side they picked from THEIR lifetime from what THEY saw.

For perspective, his ‘very strong side’ made it past the first week of finals 5 times in 13 seasons.

Why would people have green or gray or Johnson ahead if they don’t think they should be?

Greene has kicked 260-odd goals ffs 😂😂😂
Telling people what? I'm not telling anyone to do anything, I'm expressing an opinion about a few blokes who kicked a footy around for a living.

Your arguments are very circular.

Nah sorry...you were fine. Milne or Betts being compared to Daicos.....just doesn't gel. It's like comparing Costagna to Baldock or Jesaulenko!
I reckon Eddie Betts deserves to be compared with Daicos, not Milne, though. Not saying Eddie was better. Both had X-factor. Daicos for doing miraculous things with the ball and Betts for kicking impossible goals. Both kicked > 500 goals - Betts, 640 goals in 350 games in a tougher era for forwards, and Daicos, 549 goals in 250 games.

This is probably the closest I’ll see without making my own team. I remember McLeod, Voss, Ricciuto, Wanganeen, Cousins and Tredrea fondly but can’t pretend all of them weren’t retired before I was 14 so didn’t see all of their careers.

Yeah his is really good, I’d replace Gray with N Riewoldt though.

Yeah his is really good, I’d replace Gray with N Riewoldt though.

You’re the same age as me so I think we should be replacing Warren Tredrea with Nick Riewoldt. Possibly just move Robbie Gray to the bench if he even makes the cut.

Personally, I prefer Boak but Gray is the better player so most likely miss.

You’re the same age as me so I think we should be replacing Warren Tredrea with Nick Riewoldt. Possibly just move Robbie Gray to the bench if he even makes the cut.

Personally, I prefer Boak but Gray is the better player so most likely miss.

Yeah I never got the hype with Gray. He’s one of the best clutch players though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back