List Mgmt. AFL: time to move the GWS franchise to Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

As Napoleon and Hitler couldn't take Moscow, I don't think a pea-brain like McLachlan is going to take Western Sydney. Long or short term. The AFL has its niche Sydney team at the SCG. It's followers are the eastern suburbs bourgeois Union supporters. The support base won't stretch any further. How can anyone say it is starting to pay significant financial dividends when they can't even get 10,000 to attend their most important game of the year and the tickets were being given away. That being the case, if there is anyone watching AFL on TV in Western Sydney, they wouldn't give a fu** if it was Tassie Maps or the GWS Tooly Birds they were watching - there is no commitment at all, you are kidding yourself if you maintain otherwise.
Rightio. You're entitled to a rant and it's a good 'un.

Just on the significant financial dividends bit, though ...
The 9th game each week generates over $60m pa just in TV rights revenue, no way that continues without a second club in Sydney.

GWS has to remain in Sydney to fight off NRL.

The 9th game each week generates over $60m pa just in TV rights revenue, no way that continues without a second club in Sydney.

GWS has to remain in Sydney to fight off NRL.

Dave Matthews said this recently and it's obviously a load of rubbish (just like their claimed 30k membership which very likely includes vast complimentary ones given out at Auskick as indicated by their extremely low membership revenue that you can see in their financial statements on the footyindustry website).

$60m is 1/7th of the total figure ($418m) that the League gets annually from TV rights. The ratings for Giants and Suns matches in the Sydney and SEQ markets on 7 Mate are abysmal. When you take into account the high ratings for finals, Friday nights and that the 9th game generally overlaps during the day with other matches, the figure is even more ridiculous.

I'll add, I had a job in Sydney and lived in the Western Suburbs back in the 80's. Gentlemen objectors, you need to realise that it is virtually a separate country to Melbourne, it is so culturally different when it comes to football codes. When I was there, I respected their League culture, they respected my AFL culture (as some weird foreign thing from Melbourne). Believe me, never the twain will meet.

I have always had a soft spot for Tassie. My parents loved visiting there in 1983. My dad said that it was going back to the 1950s. Why would anyone want to inflict such a lovely place on this earth with the plastics? #savetassiefromtheplastics

Don't forget that part of the strategy of the AFL is to gave a game every weekend in Sydney to keep AFL front of mind in Sydneysiders. Tasmania may well (eventually) get a side but not at the expense of a second team in NSW.

Don't forget that part of the strategy of the AFL is to gave a game every weekend in Sydney to keep AFL front of mind in Sydneysiders. Tasmania may well (eventually) get a side but not at the expense of a second team in NSW.

The attendance at GWS's biggest home game for the year says it ain't working. 8 seasons and that's the result. It won't change, Matt Dougie has probably forecast the future. Unless they get more crazy supplementation, they will die around the bottom of the ladder in about 5 seasons.

Its a hard market, its Rugby League dominated. The Storm don't get big crowds in Melbourne yet they have won premierships and been successful and NRL know they need a foot in the melbourne market

GWS may never get big crowds but the are part of the AFL deal (TV money!!) and are here to stay.

I used to wear number 18 on my back as a kid and I understand the Leon is now coach of GWS and thats his role. I still like Leon.

I don't like GWS, I've been to both finals yet come sat I probably will not want Richmond to win either. Its gonna be a weird day yet if Leon holds the cup Ill be happy for him.

Original poster you’ve got it wrong. Time to merge Norf and Gold Coast and pi55 them off to Tassie 🤣🤣🤣
Yes, you are right, they should.

But that doesn't mean the OP was wrong. Merge North and GC and pi55 them off to Tassie, then burn Blacktown to the ground and make sure there is no melted plastic left to find.

Ahh jeez our threads are embarrassing at the moment.

Wait till they are on their knees, then sink the ******* boots in!

Although I am not sure how comfortable I am advocating from the Toby Greene playbook....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The attendance at GWS's biggest home game for the year says it ain't working. 8 seasons and that's the result. It won't change, Matt Dougie has probably forecast the future. Unless they get more crazy supplementation, they will die around the bottom of the ladder in about 5 seasons.
And less than 8000 bother to roll up to the grand final

The tell tale vision will be when GWS kick a goal in the GF and channel seven flash to a nursing hone with 4 dementia patients waving orange hankershieves whilst requesting nebutol to end this horrible experiment

The tell tale vision will be when GWS kick a goal in the GF and channel seven flash to a nursing hone with 4 dementia patients waving orange hankershieves whilst requesting nebutol to end this horrible experiment

My school did a comedy skit at a nursing home once and the crowd got right into. They were all p*ssing themselves.

The AFL will play their crowd cheering tape through the loudspeakers like they did when Hird presented the NSM 😉.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back