Moved Thread AFL tips $25m into the Suns for 2017!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
At least Gold Coast has room for growth, Tasmania does not.

The GC can stay where they are. Its the AFL's baby to feed & feed & feed & feed for as long as they like. The GC has been growing for 40 years. Interestingly sports clubs have generally failed to prosper along with that growth. The reason is that people move to the GC for the beaches & lifestyle, not to go to the footy or soccer, basketball, Thugby Loige etc, etc, etc.

The AFL have more money than those other organisations. It sounds like they'll need every penny.

WA3 & Tas1. :)

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I would rather prop up / subsidise / assist a team in QLD or NSW than Vic, SA or WA

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
The AFL should assist further by ensuring all but one home games are in the saturday twilight slot (best slot for home fans to attend but downside is all foxtel games outside if Qld), one friday night home game on free to air tv, and away games are therefore in other saturday/ sunday slots with a mix of free to air and foxtel slots (giving some exposure to their sponsors)

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The AFL should assist further by ensuring all but one home games are in the saturday twilight slot (best slot for home fans to attend but downside is all foxtel games outside if Qld), one friday night home game on free to air tv, and away games are therefore in other saturday/ sunday slots with a mix of free to air and foxtel slots (giving some exposure to their sponsors)
Maybe instead of the AFL compromising in your 8th year, the GCFC should have established themselves instead of letting the head of the fish rot.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who, the AFL?

Jokes aside, going off the report they didn't have a co-major sponsor last year, and now have one worth $1M a year

One bit of information missing from that article was that (and we won't know exactly until the AFL releases its Annual report) there was a ~$2.5ish million step change in the AFL distribution to fund the EBA increase (borne of the TV rights increase)

I think the Queensland clubs have bottomed out now. In the back ground to appalling on field performances and the punters naturally turning away, all reports point to significant grass roots growth.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Cool, then prop up the Brisbane Lions who actually mean something and who are tied to the old FFC.

The reason you subsidise a club is about the future, not the past. If the past is their selling point then let them die with dignity. AFL subsidy is about a nursery for future clubs, not palliative care for old ones. Its an investment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Who, the AFL?
Lol you just really really hate us don't you. Double posting and what not.

Just incase you missed it though.

The Suns did receive good news during the current off-season with the signing of a new major sponsorship deal with Zurich's Cover-More Travel Insurance brand which is reportedly worth about $1 million a year.

"We've also had a 23 per cent increase in participation numbers on the Gold Coast, which is a good sign"

Someone must be playing AFL on the GC, too bad the Suns are so bad at it.

Thanks for stopping by.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At least Gold Coast has room for growth, Tasmania does not.

Will it ever grow though? I'm a supporter of the GC Suns and think they deserve support but this idea that the Gold Coast is fertile ground for footy just waiting to spring forth into blossom has surely been demolished now.

As has the "there's too many teams in Melbourne" thing, given the rate at which Melbourne grows.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The reason you subsidise a club is about the future, not the past. If the past is their selling point then let them die with dignity. AFL subsidy is about a nursery for future clubs, not palliative care for old ones. Its an investment.
Yeah right, and if you want to talk about investments going forward, then Brisbane have actually managed to start to get their house in order. GC have been established since 2011 and done nothing. Brisbane havn't done much in that period, but they're heading the right way. Unless Dew can turn the club around in 2 years, the money needs to go towards Brisbane who need to be identified as the sole Queensland club. Are GC heading the right way? Lets find out at the end of 2018.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lol you just really really hate us don't you. Double posting and what not.

Just incase you missed it though.

The Suns did receive good news during the current off-season with the signing of a new major sponsorship deal with Zurich's Cover-More Travel Insurance brand which is reportedly worth about $1 million a year.

"We've also had a 23 per cent increase in participation numbers on the Gold Coast, which is a good sign"

Someone must be playing AFL on the GC, too bad the Suns are so bad at it.

Thanks for stopping by.
I don't hate you at all. I actually want interstate to succeed so the majority of discussions can lean towards the success of the AFL nationally, i am sick of the Victorian dominance of recent times and the self entitled attitude of supporters from Victorian Clubs. Nothing sucked more than seeing Sydney not win a flag the last few years or even Adelaide not winning one in my opinion.

I just know that in order to succeed, you need to get your house in order and develop your culture. Brisbane seem to be making inroads in that area, i hope GC can as well. After 8 years there seems to be some inherent issues, but lets judge at the end of 2018.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will it ever grow though? I'm a supporter of the GC Suns and think they deserve support but this idea that the Gold Coast is fertile ground for footy just waiting to spring forth into blossom has surely been demolished now.

As has the "there's too many teams in Melbourne" thing, given the rate at which Melbourne grows.

I don't think that's his point at all. The point is there is a large population and growing there, a significant minority of them are expat families with risidual allegiances to southern clubs. Ultimately growth comes from convincing more of the families who are existing supporters of the game to support the suns and then, like elsewhere, grow the game with non-footy families with heavily resourced community engagement.

In 1991, the year before the Bears moved to Brisbane, the population of Gold Coast - Tweed was 288K. In 2016 this number is 647K. It is expected to double again by 2050, by which stage the suns will be a 40 year old football club

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think that's his point at all. The point is there is a large population and growing there, a significant minority of them are expat families with risidual allegiances to southern clubs. Ultimately growth comes from convincing more of the families who are existing supporters of the game to support the suns and then, like elsewhere, grow the game with non-footy families with heavily resourced community engagement.

In 1991, the year before the Bears moved to Brisbane, the population of Gold Coast - Tweed was 288K. In 2016 this number is 647K. It is expected to double again by 2050, by which stage the suns will be a 40 year old football club

Yeah, we've heard this for literally decades (and it was one the big "arguments" to try and get North to move) but it isn't being borne out.

I think the Suns should stay, they need support, they should get support. But the idea that any CG franchise is going to ever be something beyond a small club is just fanciful.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well they didn't actually prop them up with $25m due to sponsorship woes.

They didn't "prop them up" with $25m. The lowest club distribution will probably be around ~$13M this year so the "premium" might be about $12M

Last year they got a bit over $17M which was only $5M more than your club

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
How much money has been spent propping up the Victorian clubs over the years by comparison?
None. If the AFL distributed a larger share of the TV rights no Vic clubs would make a loss. Do you think GC adds anything to the TV rights? There's a massive difference in what the VIC/SA/WA clubs earn for the AFL compared to the RL state clubs. Not even Sydney pay their way unless they play in the GF and get a large Sydney audience. The GC and GWS expansion are purely future plays. Whether it works out is debatable but as it stands it has been a failure on every front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back